anyone shoot shovlers?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

anyone shoot shovlers?

Postby MDcanvasback2189 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:00 am

hey i just shot my first shovler the other day and it was one of the prettiest birds i have shot to date.... it was a perfect mature drake

anyway i was wonderin if thats somethin specail for maryland or do u guys shoot a lot of them?
MDcanvasback2189
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:35 pm

I have never shot one. You getting it mounted?

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Daffy Ducking » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:06 pm

Hey MD Can if you want more spoons take a hunting trip to Little Creek Refuge in Dover, DE if you have a DE License. That place is loaded with them as well as Blacks and tons of Teal in the early season. You're right the drakes are pretty. Little Creek is located on the east side of Dover AFB along the Delaware Bay. Congrats!! :thumbsup:
Ever lay in bed at nite and hear geese honk and ducks quackin????
Daffy Ducking
State Moderator

Shovelers

Postby choptankcrabber » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:23 pm

Around Kent County, Md, at least, seems like shovelers show up for a few days now and then and then disppear. I think that in some other parts of the country they are considered kind of an inferior species- and every one I've seen has tolled in like they never saw a decoy before. But they are a lot of fun to shoot, drakes are very sharp looking birds, and despite the fact that the "shovel" seems designed for grubbing mussels or something, the few I've eaten were great to eat. I'd be happy to see them tolling in.
choptankcrabber
hunter

Postby MDcanvasback2189 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:02 pm

yea and the best part of the whole senerio was that my buddy, who does all the calling, was out of the blind, so i jumped up and blew my echo for all she was worth. they did a fast fly by and i thought they were gone but i turned and we opened up on them as the were lighting... there were 5 other guys in the build but i got my bird even though i had to fight for him. he is sitting at Travis Taxidermy, a good hunting friends owns it, so i told him to mount it whatever way he thinks will look the best.
MDcanvasback2189
hunter

Postby wigeon man » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:12 pm

ya over here in cali we hate them things most of us and just let them land in the spread for extra motion,but they are fun to shoot...on the occasion that someone wants to shoot them,but if they're rareish over there cool
I support PETA...People Eating Tastey Animals
wigeon man
hunter

Postby getn_ready » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:41 pm

Shovelers are garbage birds here in Indiana. The few that my buddies or I have shot taste terrible, like you said...good for motion in the decoys.
getn_ready
Newb

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting