Homebrew

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Homebrew

Postby NOVAggie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:10 pm

In an attempt to play nice, I figured, why not talk about beer?

Pretty sick of the Mexican beers and getting good beer here is pretty expensive so I just ordered a home brew kit. Starting off with a brown ale extract kit.

Any others home brew? what other kits have you tried and recommend?
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Re: Homebrew

Postby USCGKal » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:49 pm

I brew on and off. My dad brewed all the time when I was growing up so of course I had to try it out when I was able to. I usually make 2-3 a year.

What kit did you get? Make sure you get a good sanitizer and use it on EVERYTHING that touches the beer. You will want to have dedicated pots, spoons, etc. Do not use bleach. Iodine or sanitizing powder is common.

I went to bass pro and got a stainless turkey frier setup, I cook everything in the garage or on the porch, it gets kind of smelly ( I like it, wife does not)

An IPA is always good for home brew. There are alot of variations.

My favorite so far was a English Porter. Brown sugar was a part of the mix, which substituted for the normal white sugar found in the kits. Had so much flavor, and had a super thick head. American Brown Ale is another good one.

Not sure if you ordered you kit online or found a local supplier, but if you find one in your area, usually they have custom recipes they sell and will have all the stuff right there to measure out for you. Also the ones I have been to usually have 5-10 beers available for taste testing to see what your final product will/should taste like.
USCGKal
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:46 am

Have never tried home brewing, was able to find success at the 7-11 or Little Sues store- (2nd cooler on the right next to the Starbucks stuff. )

But if I did try it, I'm sure the work in progress would look sumpthin' like this-

:yes:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:40 am

The kind of "home brew" I like gets the feds attention. It involves corn mash some copper line and a place off copperhead row.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:13 am

gooosehunter wrote:The kind of "home brew" I like gets the feds attention. It involves corn mash some copper line and a place off copperhead row.

:thumbsup:
lbhansford
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting