Duck Hunting in NC

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Duck Hunting in NC

Postby NE2NCHunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:57 pm

I live in Nebraska but it looks like I'll be moving to NC next spring. I was wondering how the waterfowl hunting is in NC? In Nebraska I hunt a lot of flooded cornfields but I am guessing that NC is more river/lake hunting? Am I better off living by the Atlantic and hunting sea ducks? I don't have a boat, will I need one in NC?

I have a lot of flexibility on where to live and am just now getting started on learning more about the state and so any and all information is helpful.

Also, I see the sticky about posting specific information so I'm not looking for that; rather general information.

Thanks!

***Edit*** Maybe not as much flexibility as I thought. The wife is concerned about Hurricanes so I'll probably have to look at western Carolina.
NE2NCHunter
Newb

Re: Duck Hunting in NC

Postby tsamp » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:45 pm

North east coast is pretty good. Hunting this state is hard though! I'm from MN and close to ND so its just drive around eyes to the Sky's and then head at em. Here is a pain but if you work hard and meet people you will get it down! And get a boat! :thumbsup:
tsamp
hunter

Postby Metalman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:12 pm

Yes, you will need boat(s). Get one for small lakes, rivers, and mud flats/swamps. Get another one with a Vee bottom, center console, and high sides, so you can hunt the coastal areas.
Tornadoes would be a concern anywhere in the state, and not as predictable as a hurricane. Take your chances with the hurricanes, not the tornadoes.....
Good luck with the re-location. You will miss the duck hunting in Nebraska :sad:
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby Junior Duck Commander » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:22 pm

if you want to duck hunt in nc, dont live anywhere west of raleigh. get a north carolina built boat, (parker, privateer, may craft, etc.) and paint it flat green. go out with some guides in the outer banks to have some good duck hunting and to learn the ropes. dont hunt in Dare, Hyde, Pamlico, or carteret counties (blind laws are a B*$@#). There is a lot of open water in the Albemarle sound and Pamlico area. Also fishing is usually better than hunting in this state, and fall is the best. Welcome aboard.
Junior Duck Commander
hunter

Postby Doubleplay » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:20 am

All I can add to the above is coming from Nebraska you are in for a shock. The effort and money you will put in to have a good hunt once or twice a year is not worth it. Go guided couple times and only in late December to end of the season and you'll be much better off.
Doubleplay
hunter

Postby HydeMarsh » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:54 pm

JRduckcommander wrote "dont hunt in Dare, Hyde, Pamlico, or carteret counties (blind laws are a B*$@#)."
I agree with you based on what I have read about Dare, Pamlico and Carteret Counties. What are the blind laws in Hyde that cause an issue?
HydeMarsh
hunter

Postby quackedout » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:17 pm

There are no blind laws in hyde county. Just currituck, dare, pamlico, and carteret.
quackedout
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting