My 2013 Season, a Running Report

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

Re: My 2013 Season, a Running Report

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:17 pm

nice work as usual, joser. there was a group shooting 5 minutes before legal in my area on saturday, too. :no:
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:58 pm

McManusClan5 wrote:The 10ga worked well on that drake woodie! :sarcmark:

Seriously, nice morning! And sleeping in, for the win. :bow:

Went out to Oxbow this morning (with Maurry) and we pushed up about a dozen - 15 birds (2 woodies, rest mallards) but didn't get any shots off. Know the area better now, though, so next time... next time...

(building stone wall for pictures)

:lol3:

Nice work today. Amazing consistency!

Matt

(edited to change a 10 gram gun to a 10 guage. :rolleyes: sheesh)

Hahaha I gotta find a different place to take pictures. The neighbors are giving me funny looks....
Joser06
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:45 pm

invite those funny-lookin neighbors over to sample some medium rare grilled wood duck breasts and the light ought to go on in their heads. :beer:

congrats joser on the start of a memorable season.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Joser06 wrote:Hahaha I gotta find a different place to take pictures. The neighbors are giving me funny looks....

Ask them if you can use their wall :biggrin:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Joser06 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:54 pm

Another morning out in the field before some serious yard work. Got out to were I have hunted twice this year knowing I probably wouldn't have a repeat of my luck and I was correct. The safety didn't get switched off during the first flight. Lots of birds flying past by none took an interest in my dekes. I was expecting this. At 36 degrees, I got chilly about an hour into light and decided to try jumping some ducks to stay warm. I saw a mallard land on the other side of the freshwater marsh and decided that bird was mine. I jumped him up, first shot took its tail off, seccond shot was a miss and third shot killed the bird stone cold, falling upside down.I love that, makes the bird easy to find.On the way back to my decoys, a woody pair lands between me and the dekes. I take one creep toward them and the birds flush due to a broken twig...... Oh well. I sat waiting and thought I heard a splash but didn't see anything except a woody fly by at mach 10. 2 minutes later a drake woody whistles in the water heading right at the dekes. Perfect. That made two for the bag. Shot at two birds and got two birds. The day ended there but it was still a great day. Only downside is that the drake mallard had rice breast. First bird I have seen with that... It was a bird bird too. :no:
Joser06
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:25 pm

So I took a few days off from hunting, I needed some sleep. I went out this morning and had a few birds decoy before first light and I took a drake woodie after it was light enough to actually see. There was another person nearby that was shooting over my head and shooting at everything that flew nearby. Every time a flock would work my dekes, this person was skybusting the flock. So needless to say, I wasn't impressed and left a bit early. As I stood up to pack the dekes up, I had a drake mallard land in the dekes, which surprised me but I will take it. I ended heading off to work and got out a bit early so I decided to jumpshoot on the way home. I stopped by a small pond I lost a cripple on a week ago. Upon sneaking up on pond I heard a woodie and a mallard making noise. I saw the mallard go into some weeds and tried jumping it. It couldn't fly so I believe I found my cripple from last week. It was emaciated and had bile in the meat so I think I did it a favor. I went over to another section of the property and figured some mallards that I spooked up last week may still be hanging around. The wind was blowing so I knew I had a shot at sneaking up on them. When I made it over to the pond I didn't see any birds but went ahead for the sneak. I ended up jumping two drake mallards and dropped one of them with a single shot as they were getting far off. I heard some noise a few cat tail clumps away and I crept over and found a couple more mallards in which I picked out a drake. I am surprised the birds didn't spook when I shot and fly off. Lucky for me. One of the mallards was a pretty large duck with great colors and curls. This duck had a ton of fat in the skin which makes me think a few ducks are migrating south from up north. Still no bands yet though. I am way overdue. Now for the pictures
Joser06
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Awesome work! :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great morning, once you got away from the googan... :no:

The bling will come.

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby Red Suited Iceman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:23 am

Awesome job Joser06! I'm counting down the days until I can get out duck hunting! :beer:
Red Suited Iceman
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:15 pm

So I had a hard time waking up this morning for duck hunting. Hit the off button and went to work instead. I brought the shotgun for another after work hunt. I stopped by a spot I have never hunted before but scoped out prior to the season start that held a couple mallards and some wood duck. I tried sneaking around but the brush and leaves were very dry and I figured the best way for me to sneak up on the birds was to get in the water to quiet down. Well I found the pocket of water and upon sneaking up to it put up a flock of mallards. I dropped the first duck I sighted up on which was a hen mallard. Then another flock jumps up and I drop another hen mallard. Then another flock jumped up from the spot. This time I knew what I had dropped so I made sure I picked a drake mallard out of the flock and dropped that. Three shots. Three birds. Saving some ammo! While retrieving the birds, I had a couple teal fly in which I missed two shots on... I have a teal curse this year and I still haven't shot one. I am going back there in the morning before work to get these birds coming in. Hope to be in and out.

Joser06
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:00 am

Nice Job Joser---------------------------Again :thumbsup:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Baymen Moe » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:33 pm

No more comments from me, but give me your address so I can send the trophy at the end of the season. :smile:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:No more comments from me, but give me your address so I can send the trophy at the end of the season. :smile:

:lol:

My thoughts, 'zactly!

Well, that and I hope you're eating those ducks quickly, or you might be one of the few people I know who has to worry about the possession limit! :bow:

Any teal in the freezer now?
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:02 pm

I have been eating ducks like a fiend. Actually between the cod and haddock I caught last Sunday and all the ducks I have shot, I haven't bought meat at the grocery store since the opener on the 15th. I will say my usual method of Montreal steak seasoning and duck cooked to medium rare has gotten a little old. I switched to a pan fried version of that and that was ok but not as good as the grill version and last night I made duck nuggets wrapped and bacon and that was fantastic. Even my girlfriend ate two breasts worth of duck. And she "doesn't like duck". Sadly more than half of these birds are gone now.... I think cooking these birds medium rare has made me crave it more.

And no teal yet....... I had a couple buzz me this morning and I forgot how fast they are.
Joser06
hunter

Postby Maurry » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:18 am

Your duck cooking report has made all of us hungry.

Maurry
Maurry
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:24 am

Joser06, If you haven't tried this one, it's a little different: Split one fillet of a duck breast so you have a pocket and soak it overnight in teriyaki marinade, Montreal steak seasoning, and a little black pepper. Heat up a cast iron frying pan (regular fry pan should be ok). Then put a bunch of cream cheese in the pocket and toothpick it closed. Cook it in the pan a few minutes on each side. Best if rare to medium rare.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby McManusClan5 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:53 am

duckstopper333 wrote:Joser06, If you haven't tried this one, it's a little different: Split one fillet of a duck breast so you have a pocket and soak it overnight in teriyaki marinade, Montreal steak seasoning, and a little black pepper. Heat up a cast iron frying pan (regular fry pan should be ok). Then put a bunch of cream cheese in the pocket and toothpick it closed. Cook it in the pan a few minutes on each side. Best if rare to medium rare.

I've done this but without the marinade, and it's terrific. Works with goose, as well, as long as the breast isn't tooooo big (is there such a thing?).

For variety, you can try with one or two wraps of bacon (use the same toothpicks to secure the bacon) on the grill, and it's done when the toothpicks are charred. Best on very high heat and a hot cast grilling surface (sears the outside without cooking through).

Can also add a couple very thin slices of jalepeno under the bacon. In fact, this is one of my faves (I prefer just the breast, a little bacon and a couple slices of pepper grilled, but the cream cheese in the middle gives it a very different, and nice, flavor).

Enjoy! :drool:

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:18 pm

I will have to try those recipes. I am always looking for a new way of eating them.Had them wrapped in bacon again for dinner tonight and they were excellent.

This was yesterdays morning hunt. I just finally had some time to write it up. I went back to the spot where I got into the birds two days ago. I was expecting a lot of birds but it was far from that. It was cloudy that morning and I was running on a quick hunt as I needed to be at work early that day. I had a few teal buzz me at first light and that really was it for the morning flight. I had one mallard circle me and respond very well to the call and was cupped to land but I flared it at the last second and instead of flaring away from me she flared over me and I was not comfortable with the shot. A little later I had a small flock of mallards come and land nearby my spread behind some cat tails. I waded over to them and jumped em and I drew up on the drake, boom dropped him, next the hen boom stone cold and the last bird was another hen boom dropped her. My very first legitimate 123 triple! I only shot three times that hunt and killed three birds. Now the drake and the first hen dropped right in the water while the last hen dropped into some marsh grass and fallen timber brush. I marked where she fell like I do all my ducks, I can't stand loosing them. So I do a circle of the area that she fell in and nothing so I go right through the middle of the brush and almost step on her. In the process of the search I had a flock of geese come into range and I just passed them off because I really didn't feel like chasing a cripple. So i walk back to my decoy bag, pack up and get out of there just in time for work. Oh yeah, multiple pellets though the heads on all three birds, I love clean kills.

Joser06
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:02 pm

Well I went last tues and that was a skunk and with a recent death in my family, I haven't been able to go until today. I had some time to set up today so I put out 18 dekes. I only saw one flock of mallards today and when they heard the comeback call, they swung right over with landing gear down. Unfortunately, I only had one shot and it was a close. Literally blew the head off but it works out, I wanted to try a whole roast duck so this was perfect. I got home after a very long hunt and plucked, singed and gutted the bird and it looks great. I am going to try a orange sauce for this bird and can't wait!!

Joser06
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:51 pm

first of all, sorry for the loss in your family, joser...my condolences.

that roaster looks great...but i cant resist throwing this out there. remember peeling back the skin on that other bird earlier this season and finding rice breast? sometimes ignorance is bliss.

post up pics after you roast it up. i was considering trying to cure a whole mallard to make prosciutto but i need to do a little research on that one first. oh and i need to shoot more big ducks.

congrats and again, so sorry for your loss.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:55 pm

I finished the duck up today after two days of marinating. I made the glaze during the day with marmalade, brown sugar, soy sauce and orange juice. The recipe is on the recipes forum(not my recipe). I put the bird on the grill on an upright chicken roaster and let it cook. I ended up overcooking the bird a bit but it was still unbelievable. A lot of work for one bird but it was some of the best duck I have ever had!

Joser06
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:06 pm

that looks awesome.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:31 pm

Looks good joser. Wish I had the patience to prepare it that way
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby PghDuckHunter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:56 am

Joser,

You might like this guy. Top notch chef who specializes in wild game and fish. Pretty good blog too.

http://honest-food.net/

EJ
PghDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:14 pm

Back in the saddle again

I decided to head out this morning to a spot I haven't hunted all season where I did very well last season. I didn't get to scout this place out as it is pretty far away from my house so I was going in blind. I got to my spot where I like to hunt and it was frozen....... So I follow the shoreline and found a spot where it was open and set up there. Throughout the day mallards were the flavor. At legal light the first bird that cam close enough to shoot was a nice drake mallard. I had what I believe was a pintail land in the middle of the pond and swim off. never came close enough to make out 100% but was whistling up a storm.... The next bird I took was a drake black duck. Around this time I had a deer bulldozing around in the woods behind me. Wish I got to it though. Right after this a hen mallard came flying by and took that one. I went out to adjust my decoys and of course that would be when a dozen mallards would fly over. I hopped over to the nearest cover and made a comeback call and a a lone drake broke away from the group. and looked at the decoys. That was the last thing it ever did. On the far end of the pond I had a whole flock of turkeys roost in a dead tree and when they left it the did it in the noisiest way possible. The last mallard I had got came in as a group of three. I picked the drake out and that was the mallard and black duck limit. I went to my truck and dropped off my decoys and ducks and figured maybe a could find a oddball duck in a small pond on the property. I creep over with my binos and see a flock of teal with a single drake in it. Well I know what I am going for. I sneaked over and THE TEAL CURSE IS GONE. Finally got one and it was a stud drake. So made the limit with 5 big ducks and 1 little one with all but 1 being drakes. Beautiful morning and was home in time for duck for lunch.
Last edited by Joser06 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joser06
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:16 pm

Heck of a day joser. That is def a stud teal. I'm glad it happens to other people too as soon as you stand up to change the spread a flock flies over.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting