Matte refinishing

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Matte refinishing

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:07 pm

Well, last weekend i saw my gun take a beatin ( mud, rain, scratches, you know, the usual duck hunting guns life ) anyways i thought i could keep my o/u nice and was clearly wrong. The matte finish has scratches along the bottom of the barrel and heres the best part :sarcmark: That day i found 3 spots where light rust is taking form, naturally i cleaned it like crazy. But another year or 2 and i wont be able to look at it. Is there a way i can get the matte finish removed then replaced with blueing? :help:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Re: Matte refinishing

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Have it parkerized, then Teflon coated. Problem solved.

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone!
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:26 pm

Its happening faster than i anticipated, cleaned it, put it away. two weeks later ( last friday ) Its got rust 1/2 way up the barrel rib, under barrel and the safety. :no: Its getting dipped with the first 200 bucks i get. Now i just need to deside on a pattern. Go conventional with a MAX4 or get something more unique. :huh:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:32 pm

DuckManClyde wrote: Go conventional with a MAX4 or get something more unique. :huh:

Conventional equals higher resale later down the road
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:59 pm

I suppose, itd make more sense than a carbon fiber or skull camo.
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Why not look at CeraKote? It is roughly the same price and is very durable.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:53 pm

X2 on Cerakote. That sucker will look slick and be tough as nails

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:43 pm

DuckManClyde wrote: Is there a way i can get the matte finish removed then replaced with blueing? :help:

Yes, any gunsmith who does bluing can polish and blue the steel on your gun.
mudpack
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:08 am

Use this Rusteprufe oil every time you put your gun away and it will not rust. Inside this jar is a thick felt pad you pour the liquid into. the small pc of chamous on the top sucks this oil into it. Wipe your guns down every time you get back home. REMEMBER these are "Working Guns" not show pcs. :yes:.. They will get wear and tear on them. It's more important that the gun functions correctly than how pretty the gun looks... :fingerpt:
Attachments
Rusteprufe Gun Oil # 2.JPG
Rusteprufe Gun Oil  #1.JPG
War Wagon
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:03 am

War Wagon wrote: It's more important that the gun functions correctly than how pretty the gun looks... :fingerpt:

Yes, it is. But many of us....including the OP....also care about the appearance of our firearms.

Given the choice between a worn/torn/rusty gun that works every time and a cared-for gun in excellent condition that works every time....and I know which category I'd prefer my gun to be in.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:18 am

DuckManClyde wrote:Well, last weekend i saw my gun take a beatin ( mud, rain, scratches, you know, the usual duck hunting guns life ) anyways i thought i could keep my o/u nice and was clearly wrong. The matte finish has scratches along the bottom of the barrel and heres the best part :sarcmark: That day i found 3 spots where light rust is taking form, naturally i cleaned it like crazy. But another year or 2 and i wont be able to look at it. Is there a way i can get the matte finish removed then replaced with blueing? :help:

Blueing will not stop rust/corrosion if it is subjected to the same conditions as you've described.

Cerakote (properly applied) will likely provide the greatest protection barrier and as it comes in a huge selection of colors, you may well find one that suits.

Have several finished (cerakote) in "armorer's black" and it is really pleasing to the eye whilst holding the weapon in the blind, between flights.

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly shotgun.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:18 pm

mudpack wrote:
War Wagon wrote: It's more important that the gun functions correctly than how pretty the gun looks... :fingerpt:

Yes, it is. But many of us....including the OP....also care about the appearance of our firearms.

Given the choice between a worn/torn/rusty gun that works every time and a cared-for gun in excellent condition that works every time....and I know which category I'd prefer my gun to be in.

Exactly :clapping:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum