Duck Pepperoni sticks

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Duck Pepperoni sticks

Postby MinneKans » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:56 am

Anybody ever used duck/goose meat to make pepperoni sticks? I see that Von Hanson’s provides that service.
MinneKans
hunter

Re: Duck Pepperoni sticks

Postby Ducks22 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:35 am

We do a variety of sticks, brats, jerky every year, von hansons are good but they were pretty spendy. We try different meat markets every year to get a variety. We do the jerky ourselves but send the rest in. Many places have a 25 pound minimum that they will run for you which in the end turns out to be give or take 40-50 lbs. Good eating though.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:12 am

I once worked at Von Hanson's and Flicker Meats for about 8 years;
both companies turn out good products however I prefer Flickers but that is solely on personal taste.

I remember guys would bring in bags of Goose breast to smoke whole every fall before deer season kicked off.

Smart guys.

So here is a tip; if you are going to do it; do it soon to avoid a wait.

The sticks turn out great!
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby MN Quack Smoker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:45 am

I have buddies that own and work at multiple Von hanson's meats. They do a great job and have a wide variety. Anytime we get into a large group of geese, which is maybe every other year, especially in those early season hunts where you can shoot 5 eah or more now, we get them processed. Basically anyhting you would make your venison trimmings they will do with your geeese, they add pork usually. Last year we brought in 15 geese and ended up with 75lbs of hot cheese brats, old fashioned dogs and polish sausages. They were great, especially at all the duck and deer camps the rest of the year.
MN Quack Smoker
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:21 pm

MN Quack Smoker wrote:I have buddies that own and work at multiple Von hanson's meats. They do a great job and have a wide variety. Anytime we get into a large group of geese, which is maybe every other year, especially in those early season hunts where you can shoot 5 eah or more now, we get them processed. Basically anyhting you would make your venison trimmings they will do with your geeese, they add pork usually. Last year we brought in 15 geese and ended up with 75lbs of hot cheese brats, old fashioned dogs and polish sausages. They were great, especially at all the duck and deer camps the rest of the year.

What does something like this cost?
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:48 am

suicidal_scaup wrote:
MN Quack Smoker wrote:I have buddies that own and work at multiple Von hanson's meats. They do a great job and have a wide variety. Anytime we get into a large group of geese, which is maybe every other year, especially in those early season hunts where you can shoot 5 eah or more now, we get them processed. Basically anyhting you would make your venison trimmings they will do with your geeese, they add pork usually. Last year we brought in 15 geese and ended up with 75lbs of hot cheese brats, old fashioned dogs and polish sausages. They were great, especially at all the duck and deer camps the rest of the year.

What does something like this cost?

A lot, 5-8 bucks a pound....think I'm getting the stuff to make my own this winter.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby iFAIL » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:31 am

5-8 bucks a pound? That's pretty spendy. I'll probably try to make my own for that price. Just hope it taste as good :lol3:
That horrible duck call, it was I!
iFAIL
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:09 am

It'll cost close to a grand to get setup really good, but shoot a couple deer, and couple seasons of ducks and you'll about come out even. It's just a matter of what your time is worth, and if you enjoy it.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:15 pm

We brought our goose meat from ND early goose season into a meat market in Prescott Wisconsin. Ptacek's IGA, just north of town. (They do individual batches, so you are guaranteed to eat the game you brought to them)

We got 100 lbs of product back and our total was $250.

They have a 25lb minimum for each different product you order. So we did 25 lbs of hot sticks, 25 lbs of garlic sticks, 25 lbs polish sausage, and 25 lbs of garlic summer sausage. It was done in about 3 weeks and they are excellent.

The sticks were $2/lb, summer sausage & polish were $3/lb. Awesome taste. I will be adding cheese to the sticks next time. Adding cheese is an extra $20 per 25lb batch.

I plan to make my own jerky this year, but still haven't opened the dehydrator I was given for xmas last year. Much easier to drop it off and be guaranteed not to waste any of the meat on mistakes and learning curve.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:47 pm

MNjonboatguy wrote:We brought our goose meat from ND early goose season into a meat market in Prescott Wisconsin. Ptacek's IGA, just north of town. (They do individual batches, so you are guaranteed to eat the game you brought to them)

We got 100 lbs of product back and our total was $250.

They have a 25lb minimum for each different product you order. So we did 25 lbs of hot sticks, 25 lbs of garlic sticks, 25 lbs polish sausage, and 25 lbs of garlic summer sausage. It was done in about 3 weeks and they are excellent.

The sticks were $2/lb, summer sausage & polish were $3/lb. Awesome taste. I will be adding cheese to the sticks next time. Adding cheese is an extra $20 per 25lb batch.

I plan to make my own jerky this year, but still haven't opened the dehydrator I was given for xmas last year. Much easier to drop it off and be guaranteed not to waste any of the meat on mistakes and learning curve.

2-3 per lb is a solid price
beretta24
State Moderator

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting