wood ducks

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J.

wood ducks

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:53 pm

mostly seeing wood ducks where i am so far, along with the odd gwt that thinks it is a wood duck, flying with them, feeding along side, etc., not like the clouds of them last season.

very few big ducks so far.

joser, in your posts you say the woodies are decoying for you. i didnt have such luck on the opener, just a few crossing shots. how many woodies do you put out in your spread? i was only using 2 drakes on a jerk string, with a couple mallards to the side.

guys, do you have much luck decoying woodies? or is it all about location, concealment, and staying still?

i do not have any hen woodies in my spread. i would like a few. does anybody want to trade with me, 3 hen woodies in good shape, for 2 brand new oversized golden eyes fully rigged? seems like a good deal to me. let me know. thanks.

and please offer me some advice about the woodrows. good luck guys and be safe out there. :thumbsup:
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: wood ducks

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:15 pm

another question...

how do woodies react to goose decoys? i heard goose decoys will flare woodies but there's geese around and i would like to put a goose floater out to the side.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Leakey, woodies can be real snobs or they can pour into the decoys like crazy. I think it's more location than anything but I have decoyed lot's of woodies over mallard decoys and a spinner. I only this year bought some wood duck dekes and you already know how long I've been hunting. We banged out a woody limit on Tuesday over decoys. Many wood ducks though, flew right over our spread without batting an eye, headed for greener pastures. Stick with it while they're around, you'll get one to commit.
Last edited by Baymen Moe on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:another question...

how do woodies react to goose decoys? i heard goose decoys will flare woodies but there's geese around and i would like to put a goose floater out to the side.

Put two off to the side in a more open area.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Honestly I believe the wood duck decoys are a sham. I have six that I put out on occasion and I feel they are more of a confidence decoy for other ducks. I had them piling into my spot today with 8 mallard decoys and nothing else. On opening day they were landing away from the woody dekes. I had more woody's fly by over the decoys in the past three days without stopping than actually dropped in. I truthfully believe that the woody's are more creatures of habit and will go back to the same exact spot day after day until they feel unsafealthough I am no expert. I think I have been so successful just because I am setting up in the places I see the wood duck on non hunting days. The proverbial x.
Joser06
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:41 pm

unfortunately, the proverbial X where i see them is in a narrow section of pond that is off limits to shooting...even when it is off season, they land there. they just know.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:47 pm

yeah the only other way I think would be just finding where they swing low enough to that spot where you can take passing shots....
Joser06
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:01 pm

wind is supposed to be from the SW saturday, so i am hoping the X will shift. God i love trying to figure them out. still want to make that decoy trade if anybody is interested. just pm me.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Every year i put out 4-6 woodie decoys for the first 3 or 4 hunts. It makes me feel like I'm decoying them when they come into the hole. Usually I find that decoys don't really matter if I'm not on or close to the "x". Tuesday we tried no decoys and then one "shaker" mallard. Both of us limited on woodies that tried to land in the hole or buzzed the hole.

Leakey, try getting on their flight path. You won't need decoys and you can move quickly if their path changes.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby PghDuckHunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:58 am

I think wood ducks just want to be where they want to be. If you are on the X they are coming in. I cant tell you how many times I have fired up woodies and have the flock circle and try to come back in again...

I limited out on woodies two straight days and I had two goose dekes in my spread. I would try it. If they flare you can always pull them, I think my mojos, flare them more than the goos dekes...
PghDuckHunter
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:22 am

I went last night to a little woody hole, I had a mojo and a couple deeks out and when a flock saw the mojo they totally banked and went somewhere else. Doesn't seem like they like mojos at all.

Like everyone else said they have a spot in mind and they go to it regardless of what's going on. If you see a pattern of every small flock heading to one spot then you know that's where all the others will be going.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:39 am

Woodies are a funny bird.

I do not have any woody dekes. I only use mallards and a spinner and find that they will buzz the set within range most times. As far as landing I think more often than not I was in the right spot.

Calling is the same thing. I never feel like I call woodies into me, the one exception is when they are on the water. I have had them swim towards my calling. Also have had luck calling to them right at first light when they are still up in the trees, and they will bail out towards me and offer a shot.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:49 pm

thanks for all the input, guys. i do have a couple alternative spots to get me closer to the flight path. i am ditching the wood duck decoys altogether tomorrow and going with mallards and teal and a single goose floater off to the side a ways.

good luck tomorrow, everybody.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby PghDuckHunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:29 am

I will say that every time I have my mojos out I get a Teal. They seem to love those things.
PghDuckHunter
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting