Getting a Bear hide Tanned?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Getting a Bear hide Tanned?

Postby ic3breaker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:08 pm

I recently shot my first black bear. It's not a huge trophy or anything but a respectable first bear (220lbs dressed, meat cutter said probably 255-260 live weight). My question is I'd like to get it tanned as I can't afford a rug, but I don't know what a fair or reasonable price is to get it done, nor the most economical. I have the hide stored in the freezer at the moment and it still has the paws and skull in.
ic3breaker
hunter

Re: Getting a Bear hide Tanned?

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:40 pm

About the best thing you could do is take it to a local taxi and tell him you want the skull cleaned and the hide tanned. Most tanneries I know of won't take raw hides unless they've been dried. You can't dry the hide until you after you flesh it (remove all muscle, fat, and connective tissue). Unless you've got some experience with hides/furs, I'd suggest having somebody else do it. You can probably get a local guy to flesh your hide and clean your skull for a fraction of the cost of having the rug made.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:43 pm

your taxi has a contract with a tannery for all his capes. Just take it to him, shouldn't cost you more than $150. Teeth and toes will make it more pricey
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:25 am

You and a buddy flesh the hide and salt for 3 weeks to let dry out. Salt good to keep the moisture out. Maybe resalt after a few days. Hang up and drape over something and let it drip dry. Then... You can have it tanned yourself for less than $50 and wont be any different than what your taxidermist will do. You can ship once salted and dried to moyle mink tannery. PM me if you have any questions.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby ic3breaker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Already took it to the taxi, the guy charges 400, and is the cheapest I could find locally. I will be doing the skull myself though I have some free time on my hands this winter. Hopefully it's not that bad a project.
ic3breaker
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:55 am

$400 just to get it tanned?? Wow. Like a rug with lifelike head?
The skull will be pretty easy. Thaw the skull, cut all the meat off you can. Eyes, tongue etc. Once all the meat is off boil in a big pot for about an hour or so. Once that is done make sure all meat is gone, brain included. Their is a product you can get from a hair salon called Basic White. Get this and 40 volume peroxide to whiten the skull. NOT regular bleach. These chemicals will do the skull very nicely. Paint on and leave for 3-4 days then spray off.

Thats the easy quick route. Most taxidermists wont degrease the skull. However, people who professionalize in skulls do. So, after a month or few months if the skull yellows some that is why. If you want a professional job heres how. To degrease after you boil it (before you whiten) you would leave in heated water at 115 degrees with dawn soap for about 3 months. This should remove all the grease and make a perfect white pretty skull and get it to stay that way without degrading the bone.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby ic3breaker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:00 pm

Nah the price is just for the hide to be fleshed and prepped for tanning, the Hide measured out almost 6.5 feet, everywhere else around me was charging around 75-100/ft. While I was in college I seem to recall using a diluted ammonia solution to degrease whale bones, those bones were massive so we had buried them for the better part of a year after removing most of the flesh for the rest of it to be taken care of naturally and let them sit in the ammonia solution and mixing up more as needed.
ic3breaker
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum