I was briefly on the X...

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

I was briefly on the X...

Postby Citori16 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:23 am

...and then it turned into a "why?"

Scrambled together last night's preparations for this morning's hunt, a private pond I've had permission to hunt for a while, but haven't had time to go. An hour's drive this morning, I get there 15 min before shooting light, not as early as I had hoped for. 100 yds through the woods and then 10 or so of marsh and I'm on a delta from a creek bleeding into the pond. I'm trying to load my gun and I can't seem to get a shell in the magazine...@#$%$&%$#...and a drake woodie flushes from 7-ish yds away, no time for a good shot...OK, it's a semi-auto single shot for now. This could be good, I'll forego the decoys for now.

I settle into the grass and cover up the dog. A pair of woodies drop in well within shooting range, I jump up to shoot...<click>....DOH! What now?! As the woodies streak away, I check the gun. No imprint on the primer, safety was off. Hmmmm...I'm starting to believe those Rem oil stories, no rust on the gun but it is dry (a Mossberg 935). Should've brought the Citori....!$#^&%$#@. I cycle the action and click the trigger a few times, at least one other pair of woodies considers the area and then zips out for quieter spots.

OK, let's see what happens.

Another pair of woodies zips behind me and now continues upstream...drops in about 300 yds away. Then I hear a mallard hen drop in about the same place. Then I see a white butt pop up...geese, they stole my X. Alright, sneak time. Make way into the bush, carefully, methodically and Uber-quietly, I was quite impressed. Get close, peek in...nope, they're still a ways off and moving away, feeding. Back and forth I play this game, sneak in, peek, sneak out, work up 50 yds, repeat.

Finally, I can see them even with me, but there's a skidder trail to the water and lots of thick stuff upstream, sun is peeking over the mountain and illuminates the skidder trail. OK, if I move low and slow, I may have a chance to get close enough to wait. 20 yds from the water and I'm on a bluff about 20 feet up from the shore, birds still feeding, though one goose is playing sentry and looks my way....freeze!...I'm a tree, go back to feeding! 5 min or so and I make a couple small, slow moves, all is good, I can keep this up for a while...BUT, now the lab, who has recently come back from flushing grouse in the uplands, and has been at heel for an hour....breaks...runs down the bluff...into the water...geese swim off, ducks flush and head out, and I'm standing there in disbelief for about 30 secs...."NO! HEEL! COME! NOOOO!"

And so, the bluebird day started like that...

To top it off, I had started to write this about an hour ago, got 3/4 done, and Windows decides to update.

Why?
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Re: I was briefly on the X...

Postby SquadIrons » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:33 pm

I've had a few of those hunts this year. Two pertained to bow hunting though. But the next half of the split when you actually are on the X you will appreciate it that much more. Especially if it's a nice easy everything-goes-right hunt.
SquadIrons
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:16 am

nice post.......i jump shoot a lot early in the season. I grew up grouse hunting, and jump shooting is like a mix of upland and duck hunting.luckily my young pup would never rush ahead of me, and while she sits and stays and comes with hand signals, which is perfect for stalking....sometimes i turn around and she is 20 yards closer than where I left her! ha ha

did you find out the problem with the gun?

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:45 am

Squad - Yeah, it's times like these that make you appreciate the "everything-comes-together" hunts. All in all, I was still pretty happy about being on the X. A friend suggested some jerk string decoys, that may have kept them pulling in, though I think it would be hard to compete with a family of geese.

Tool - It's hard for me to blame the dog because, as the saying goes, "everything you do with a dog is training". She is pretty good sitting next to me, but I think she got confused with us running around chasing birds for a week with her in front and now I start stalking...a mixed message. I'm still working with her understanding the concept of range and my limitations. The gun is on the bench, disassembly has started, nothing stands out other than Rem oil seems to evaporate over time, but so far I won't say that for sure.
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby SquadIrons » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:22 am

One spot where I have a blind you will see ducks landing without decoys or calling. It's an "X." It's just where they want to be. The problem is, once you start shooting it becomes tougher to get then to land. Other times it works just the opposite. A duck on the other side if the pond/lake/marsh will hear you shooting at other birds, get startled and fly up and see your deeks and drop in on your X. But regardless, it seems no matter how good the X is, there are always ducks that want to be on a different X.
SquadIrons
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting