grouse season ?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

grouse season ?

Postby bookworm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:56 pm

how has the Ruffed Grouse season been going for every one ? let me know how it is going for you .
bookworm
hunter

Re: grouse season ?

Postby Grouse » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Its been a little less than last year. Still seeing 2=6 birds a trip and just now a seeing some woodcock that have moved in. Hows yours goin?
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:57 pm

A grand total of 1 Grouse and three staples in my dog from razor wire... Woodcock has been good, two limits over a four day weekend. Been kinda tough this year, not seeing the same numbers as last year.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby Grouse » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:43 pm

I am hunting Grouse for three days starting sunday going thru tues. I will be hunting one dog a day I have 3 spaniels. I will also have two friends with me. Ill let ya know. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:04 am

Caught a cold or I would have been out this morning. Gonna sit for deer as that doesn't involve much walking but the 2nd split for duck starts tomorrow in northern NY. Best of luck to you.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby Grouse » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Got a jump on vacation lol hunted this morn till 10 flushed three worm eaters shot 2 no grouse flushed had one runner let em go.
Grouse
hunter

Postby bookworm » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:56 pm

its been rough not much out this year so far .only had an hour or two after work to any hunting .hoping it'll get better tho,
bookworm
hunter

Postby Grouse » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:41 pm

Today was Grouse day and got 2 flushed 6 :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :beer: Tomorrow goin out all day
Grouse
hunter

Postby Grouse » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:13 pm

Putting a end to a perfect week. Flushed 12 plus woodcock today. There were 4 grouse also ended up with 2 woodcock.So totals this week 7 grouse 6 timberdoodle. I guess you need a springer!
Grouse
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:24 am

Woodcock numbers are starting to drop as we get colder temps, got one this weekend. Flushed a grouse, but no shot then went duck hunting in the evening lol.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:45 am

Duck hunting in my area is closed right now. Deer season is open for muzzleloaders and I don't have one, so I went for a 2 hr walk on Sat. looking for some action in an over grown apple orchard. Grouse numbers here seem to be pretty good this year. I won't get out again 'til later in Dec when deer season closes. This was my first ever double on p'tridge out of a group of 5 that went up.
Attachments
Grouse4.jpg
A Lab you train, a Chessie you negotiate with.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby Grouse » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Very nice!!! :thumbsup:
Grouse
hunter

Postby NyDuckMan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:50 am

I've been grouse hunting for 2 years now, last year i went about a bunch of times, and got 2 pheasant (lol), heard 2 drumming all fall, saw one on a tree branch, and flushed one last Feb when I was rabbit hunting. This past early Oct I went upland hunting in Maine and managed to flush one woodcock. Other wise I'm convinced NY is dry.

My hope is all but diminished on getting a decent Grouse hunt in NY, I fear im going to have to take trips to the mid west or other New England states in order to bag me one of these great birds.
**2013 - 2014**
3 - Canada Goose
2 - Mallards
2 - Teal (green winged)
2 - Woodies
NyDuckMan
hunter

Postby jägare » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Grouse wrote:Very nice!!! :thumbsup:

Do you hunt up near Adams?

Been reading about grousing. Thinking of giving it a try up that way in 14.
"The chase is among the best of all national pastimes; it cultivates that vigorous manliness for the lack of which in a nation, as in an individual, the possession of no other qualities can possibly atone." - Theodore Roosevelt
jägare
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:11 am

NyDuckMan wrote:I've been grouse hunting for 2 years now, last year i went about a bunch of times, and got 2 pheasant (lol), heard 2 drumming all fall, saw one on a tree branch, and flushed one last Feb when I was rabbit hunting. This past early Oct I went upland hunting in Maine and managed to flush one woodcock. Other wise I'm convinced NY is dry.

My hope is all but diminished on getting a decent Grouse hunt in NY, I fear im going to have to take trips to the mid west or other New England states in order to bag me one of these great birds.

I've given up on NJ grouse hunting. When I started out 30 years ago I'd flush a half dozen a day with no trouble. Now I go days at a time without seeing a single bird in the same woods. None of the reasons the biologists give make sense to me. The woods have not matured to a state beyond which they were back then. There was never much bird hunting pressure in the forest beyond the stocked pheasant fields, so I do not believe they were shot out. Has the expoloding NJ turkey population affected grouse in some way? Coyotes? Who knows. At least the duck hunting is good.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby NyDuckMan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:46 am

RustyGunz1960 wrote:
NyDuckMan wrote:I've been grouse hunting for 2 years now, last year i went about a bunch of times, and got 2 pheasant (lol), heard 2 drumming all fall, saw one on a tree branch, and flushed one last Feb when I was rabbit hunting. This past early Oct I went upland hunting in Maine and managed to flush one woodcock. Other wise I'm convinced NY is dry.

I've given up on NJ grouse hunting. When I started out 30 years ago I'd flush a half dozen a day with no trouble. Now I go days at a time without seeing a single bird in the same woods. None of the reasons the biologists give make sense to me. The woods have not matured to a state beyond which they were back then. There was never much bird hunting pressure in the forest beyond the stocked pheasant fields, so I do not believe they were shot out. Has the expoloding NJ turkey population affected grouse in some way? Coyotes? Who knows. At least the duck hunting is good.

I definitely figured the strong coyote population had something to do with, NY is full of 'em, I've actually gotten into predator hunting as a result of this, heh.
**2013 - 2014**
3 - Canada Goose
2 - Mallards
2 - Teal (green winged)
2 - Woodies
NyDuckMan
hunter

Postby Grouse » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Do you hunt up near Adams?

I usually hunt about a hour or so north of there. Or the U.P. I will be going out friday for some late season ....... we will see
Grouse
hunter

Postby jägare » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:41 am

Grouse wrote:Do you hunt up near Adams?

I usually hunt about a hour or so north of there. Or the U.P. I will be going out friday for some late season ....... we will see

Awesome. Good luck.
"The chase is among the best of all national pastimes; it cultivates that vigorous manliness for the lack of which in a nation, as in an individual, the possession of no other qualities can possibly atone." - Theodore Roosevelt
jägare
hunter

Return to Upland Game