At least my dekes fooled...

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

At least my dekes fooled...

Postby McManusClan5 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:18 am

...two boaters, one stand-up-paddleboarder and two rowers.

Kayaked out the Concord river on the NWR here last night. Had seen 40-45 geese down there the day before the opener ('course), but not a single edible bird for miles last night ('course). Anyway, gotta get out to have a chance, right?

So, I set up off a point, pull the 'yak back into the cover and fashion a nice little blind out of blowdowns. Along come all of the above over a couple hours. The looks on their faces when they got right up on the decoys was priceless!

One boater actually turned around, came back at them and tried to get them to fly. :lol3: I called out a hello from the bank (maybe 25 yds away) and thought he was going to have a heart attack! Nice guy, though. The rowers were a little less happy about someone "Hunting? On THIS river?" Politely (very politely) said it was legal and very safe - I could see them coming from a long way away and wouldn't hunt while they were even in sight. She breathlessly exclaimed that she just didn't "want to get shot." Again, politely assured her of her safety and wished them a good night... Oh well.

Anyway, just thought the boater's reaction was worth posting up. Wish I had a pic of his face!

Oh, and that some birds had a chance to look over the spread...

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Re: At least my dekes fooled...

Postby kjm1022 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:53 am

That river is located in the "anti-liberal-central" capital of the state "Concord Ma". They outlawed bottled water and wanted to put a leash law on the books for cats to protect tweety birds. You can't make this crap up!
kjm1022
hunter

Postby Bunker » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 am

Some of the expressions are priceless, once the person realizes they have been ooooohhhhhhing & aaaaahhhhhing over plastic ducks...

I have had a bunch of opportunities to hunt down that way over the past couple of years since my old roommate has gotten into hunting. We do have a lot more encounters down there then we do up here and most of them are pleasant with no issues we have always been respectful of them and most are respectful of us even if they don't know the legalities of us hunting and our hunting locations (which have all been in season and legal hunting areas of course).

One last year brings a smile to my face because the look was pricelessly priceless if thats even possible.

A lady and her friend were out walking their dog's off leash in an area with a big sign as you enter "ALL DOGS MUST BE LEASHED". Even though my Charley is a hunting dog in the midst of hunting I err on the side of caution and keep him leashed in areas like that until a retrieve is needed since I've never read up on the rules and regs regarding that even if there are any. Anyway, the ladies ooooohhhh and ahhhh over the "ducks" in the water and we stand up and let them know we are there and what we are doing which we've done in the past with no issues. The lady looked at us shocked & appalled (that look was priceless too but it gets better)at what we were doing and how it must be illegal to hunt where we were hunting and how dogs could be shot. I politely tried to explain that no it was perfectly legal to hunt where we were and that we were quite adept at telling the difference between a duck and a dog. She wasn't listening just going off about how we were illegal and she could call the police. At that point I stopped her by telling her we were perfectly legal and then asking her if she knew what was illegal? Her response "No what?" My response "You walking your dog off leash!" The look on her face at that point was the most pricelessly priceless look I've ever seen. After that she couldn't even finish a sentence. Her friend had been trying to pull her away for the last minute or so during her ranting and at that point finally succeeded.

It's sad that people aren't aware of the laws and the seasons in their area even if they don't hunt and just assume that we sportsmen are a bunch of lawless hooligans with guns. I know I go to great lengths to ensure that where and when I am hunting is more than barely legal as I am sure you guys do down there even to a greater extent with more laws and limited areas to hunt.

Just figured I'd throw in my $.02 about pricless expressions.

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Haha I see people like that up where I work. Some people are very uneducated when it comes to anything hunting related.
Joser06
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting