Are you still passionate?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Are you still passionate?

Postby yellowlabhunter » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Today was the opener. I sat in my blind and visited my thoughts of hunting when I was a child and young adult. As I write I am in my mid 40s. I sat in my blind and watched a beautiful sunrise. I was alone in a single man blind....no more dog and dad long gone. Something was missing....I was losing a connection of some kind? I got up out of bed and felt the thrill but when I was actually out there I appeared to not feel the "Passion" I once had driving to....walking out...and sitting in the blind? I cannot put my finger on it...I just didn't feel my child-like energy and anticipation I had for many years. Maybe its a phase and it will return soon....or maybe not? I have the guns....the calls...all the equipment... but I was just very mellow and could of been home and probably felt the same...perhaps? I don't know...I'm sure it will pass soon. Be well all.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Re: Are you still passionate?

Postby staticarc » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:26 pm

Get new dog
Shoulda tried em that last swing...
staticarc
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:58 am

Dog or a buddy . I felt that way for awhile and started hunting with some new friends and it brought back a lot of those feelings.Beware ! When they came back for me they were even stronger than before :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby River Hill » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:36 am

OGblackcloud wrote:Dog or a buddy . I felt that way for awhile and started hunting with some new friends and it brought back a lot of those feelings.Beware ! When they came back for me they were even stronger than before :thumbsup:

I agree having a dog or friend around. Find a kid who has never been before.

I no longer deer hunt alone, as I was feeling the same way you are now about the waterfowl. If a buddy calls or I get a take a chance to take a newbie, the excitement is back. I love introducing kids to the outdoors.
River Hill
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:11 am

Having some one to share the time with can make a big difference, be it a person or a dog, but I would say as for yesterday the heat took it out of us, not lack of passion.....
darkwater27
hunter

Postby SmilingDuck » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:03 am

If you are looking for more "passion" in the blind why don't you get a girlfriend that hunts? Good luck with finding your mojo
SmilingDuck
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:27 am

Same thing happened to me with deer hunting. I used to wait all year for it. Now, I still buy my tag but I hardly ever go.

It started when the guys I had been hunting with since high school started getting married and "wanting" to bring their wives up to deer camp. No thanks. My wife understood the "man time" aspect of the outings me and my buddys had so she never tried to horn in. I've hunted with other but its not the same.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Gazelle » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:34 am

Find a kid that has never hunted. Perhaps fatherless. Teach him or her all you know. You will be suprised at how much you do know. For me, this has brought the passion back into hunting. Pretty darn cool when they shoot there 1st duck or deer or turkey etc. You will start to see the insane passion for hunting we used to have. No shortage of needy kids out there. Tony
Gazelle
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:08 pm

I would venture to guess the rut you're in right now is due to one or both of "no dog, no dad anymore". My family is from yreka and hunted out while lives... Until my dad's dad passed away. He hasn't hunted since but has taken up golf kind of like a different way to fill that void.
I would recommend maybe taking a year off and finding a different hobby if you think this might be the issue. Something you've always wanted to do but maybe didn't because it wouldn't have been possible with a dog or your pops. Then come next season see if you feel like you missed it and go from there.
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby das mudhen » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Not when the weather is this mild.

Now, when it's ducky in January, game on!

Also, turkey & deer hunting is really coming on strong for me as I get older.

Duck hunting in Cali is not a sprint, it's more if a marathon.....

mudhen
"Lighten up Francis"

Sgt. Hulka
das mudhen
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Find someone to introduce to the sport. Kid or adult...feed off their enthusiasm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:38 am

Passion? Well, for one thing. You're shooting in a blind and you're bored.

How can you feel passion if your heartbeat never rises? Go hunt someplace where you have to do more than sit around and wait for birds to fly into your spread. Take from a guy that has more years on you. If you want to feel alive, sitting there isn't going to make it happen. Go fight for some birds. I would absolutely take a hard won strap with three stink ducks than one that had 7 birds that came in easy.

Here's why. I plan on dying at some point. If I am unlucky enough to last until this shambling hulk is bedridden I want to look back and know that I never did a thing but fight as long as I could, and have zero regrets.

At some point angling for a good spot and beating feet becomes a race not only against some other hunter but Father Time.

You have plenty of life to forget about the disappointment of an empty strap, a bad draw, a downer day and the jerk that crowds you. But when it starts to shut down, and lights grow dim, you won't forget the days you fought like hell.

Get moving, and I hope that on your day of eternal grace you have long list of great hunts to recall. Go get them.

Best,
Slow
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:29 am

Hard to really put a finger on it, as I don't personally know you. What you get excited about. Home situation. Job situation. As we get older, priorities change. Some fight it, some accept it. Its just a fact of life.

What one desires out of his / her day on the marsh is different from one to another. Thats ok, no one is the same. There is no magic answer.

So maybe your priorities and desires is different from what it used to be, and you either haven't realized it or accepted it. I know speaking for myself, what used to get me excited 20 years ago is way different from what it is today. I used to be a die hard salt water fisherman. Had a Boston Whaler, all the gear, caught a ton of fish and ran hard. I do it sparingly now. Boat is sold. Found other interest more appealing. Just the way it is.

You may have different interest, or maybe interest within duck hunting is different. Only you can answer. Whatever it is, its quite ok. Its just what happens.

What Slow said about taking a different approach is good. Could be different places to shoot, finding some like minded people to share with. Maybe shooting clays during the off season will peak a different interest. Heck, maybe flyfishing will do it for you. Maybe you like to be challenged, so find a way to challenge yourself.

Good luck wherever you go. Hopefully, it isn't golf!! (Thats ok as well). ((Not really)).
blackdog58
hunter

Postby Calikev » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:01 pm

blackdog58 wrote:Hard to really put a finger on it, as I don't personally know you. What you get excited about. Home situation. Job situation. As we get older, priorities change. Some fight it, some accept it. Its just a fact of life.

What one desires out of his / her day on the marsh is different from one to another. Thats ok, no one is the same. There is no magic answer.

So maybe your priorities and desires is different from what it used to be, and you either haven't realized it or accepted it. I know speaking for myself, what used to get me excited 20 years ago is way different from what it is today. I used to be a die hard salt water fisherman. Had a Boston Whaler, all the gear, caught a ton of fish and ran hard. I do it sparingly now. Boat is sold. Found other interest more appealing. Just the way it is.

You may have different interest, or maybe interest within duck hunting is different. Only you can answer. Whatever it is, its quite ok. Its just what happens.

What Slow said about taking a different approach is good. Could be different places to shoot, finding some like minded people to share with. Maybe shooting clays during the off season will peak a different interest. Heck, maybe flyfishing will do it for you. Maybe you like to be challenged, so find a way to challenge yourself.

Good luck wherever you go. Hopefully, it isn't golf!! (Thats ok as well). ((Not really)).

Nice post Scott! :clapping:
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby Revulshawn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:14 pm

blackdog58 wrote: Good luck wherever you go. Hopefully, it isn't golf!! (Thats ok as well). ((Not really)).

:lol: :lol:
Revulshawn
hunter

Postby John Duck » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:58 pm

yellowlabhunter wrote:Today was the opener. I sat in my blind and visited my thoughts of hunting when I was a child and young adult. As I write I am in my mid 40s. I sat in my blind and watched a beautiful sunrise. I was alone in a single man blind....no more dog and dad long gone. Something was missing....I was losing a connection of some kind? I got up out of bed and felt the thrill but when I was actually out there I appeared to not feel the "Passion" I once had driving to....walking out...and sitting in the blind? I cannot put my finger on it...I just didn't feel my child-like energy and anticipation I had for many years. Maybe its a phase and it will return soon....or maybe not? I have the guns....the calls...all the equipment... but I was just very mellow and could of been home and probably felt the same...perhaps? I don't know...I'm sure it will pass soon. Be well all.

Dave

Many never get into the real time honored traditions of waterfowling. It is so much more than just shooting birds you could buy from the store at 1/8 the price of your time and effort and money. I think at bottom that waterfowlin' is America and in fact waterfowl is what sustained early settlers on the East Coast. It was not turkey! We need waterfowlin' today like we need more patriotism and love of country. I would urge anyone for example to get involved in collecting decoys rather than having birds stuffed. Stuffed birds will only get old and look old and never appreciate in value. Old Decoys are the heart of the sport and many will keep or appreciate in value over time and make great family heirlooms. Many of our greatest Americans were avid waterfowlers. Glen L. Martin that many consider the father of modern Aviation, studied and shot birds whenever he could and traveled out over Marylands Eastern Shore from his plant in Middle River Md. In case we forget his namesake is Lockheed Martin, worlds largest aerospace manufacturer. Without Martin and the WWII aircraft his plants produced we would have been in the War a lot longer with many more Americans killed. It's a heritage that the common guy, heads of state, (**** Cheney has been photographed at some decoy auctions), presidents, sports stars and many industrialists like Walter Chrysler can all share, in may ways it is democracy in action. for example -
Waterfowlin' is the greatest American past time in my opinion and to be consistent at it, you must always be at the top of your game, coz to be good, you must understand the concepts of poker, chess and golf, which none of these games do I play, but I do play waterfowl pretty good. In fact in many areas of the US before spectator sports became common, (circa 1900) duck and goose hunting were reported in what is now the sport pages. LOL a Huge loss in my opinion. So in our digital world, waterfowl ing is one place that still has "meaning" which is very important is a increasing meaningless cyber world. Being able to pass "real" meaning to future generations is not to be dismissed.
John Duck
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:08 pm

Finally a post about waterfowl with some true depth and heartfelt discussion. I knew there were those out there who can and do reflect with serious emotion the positive and negative thoughts brought to the surface every now and again. It's not too much of a stretch to think that those who sit and wait for countless hours reliant upon the Game Gods to bless them with some success at bagging some fish, fur or fowl to wonder if it's all worth it in the end?
I actually think it quite brave to post your question and am also proud to be part of a community where the answers from fellow fowlers have risen above the usual rhetoric too often seen.
My personal thoughts on this predicament are as follows:
You need the excited anticipation and positive reinforcement only another passionate hunter/person can give you to jump start your blood flow.
Always be aware that there are those who can only dream of what you are doing.
Introduce another less fortunate person to the craft who needed no selling to go hunting. It truly is better to give than receive.
Go to a CWA or DU event and strike up some conversations with a stranger.
Good luck!
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Oops that's just ducks and geese...
duckdoa
hunter

Postby yellowlabhunter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:07 am

To All,

Thanks for your feedback! I guess as I age some things that were once so important pale with time. Time changes a person and I'm keeping an open mind. Don't get me wrong....I love waterfowl season and being around great people... dogs...and making memories. I just did not feel the "Same ole feeling" I had even last year. But...I will keep on keeping on and enjoy my life and what my health allows....and my wife. Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:19 am

Dave,
Sounds like you were just reflecting only on the past and thinking that the climatic parts are over. Bring a young guy or two with you. Amazing to see a new duck hunter light up on decoying birds.. Hell bring me, I'll keep it entertaining :thumbsup:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby thedeadone » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:51 pm

I hope you get it back. If not for duck hunting then from some other hobby or sport. Passion is what makes life worth living. good luck :thumbsup:
thedeadone
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:47 pm

A big part of the chase is how you deal with the catch. If a rice fed sprig is worth gettin up for, you will get up. As a catch and release flyfisherman I have seen certain fisheries that I no longer participate in because they are strictly catch and release.

As an angler, I like to make that decision, so I have opted out of some of those seasons, because I disagree with the regs.

The hunting solo thing is an obvious red flag as well. If you are hunting public land, maybe for a while, until you find a buddy, which means looking for one.

If you have a private spot, get a partner that will do his share of the work, and you will bounce out of bed in the AM.

Good luck.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:56 am

Butta boom wrote:The hunting solo thing is an obvious red flag as well. If you are hunting public land, maybe for a while, until you find a buddy, which means looking for one.

If you have a private spot, get a partner that will do his share of the work, and you will bounce out of bed in the AM.

Good luck.

MMmm Red flag. Solo. Really? Don't agree with this. Not at all. A person that can hunt solo, surely shows a passion. No idel chat. You make all the decisions. You make the placement. You make the shot. You and your dog makes the retrieve. You make the call on how long to stay. You have your thoughts, and thoughts - show casing waterfowling skills all by yourself.

I learn way more about fowling when hunting by myself. I don't always hunt by myself, but do so often. Sometimes, its just the way to go.

Last...I certainly don't need anyone else to put the passion into myself "getting up" in the am.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:01 am

blackdog58 wrote:
Butta boom wrote:The hunting solo thing is an obvious red flag as well. If you are hunting public land, maybe for a while, until you find a buddy, which means looking for one.

Good luck.

MMmm Red flag. Solo. Really? Don't agree with this. Not at all. A person that can hunt solo, surely shows a passion. No idel chat. You make all the decisions. You make the placement. You make the shot. You and your dog makes the retrieve. You make the call on how long to stay. You have your thoughts, and thoughts - show casing waterfowling skills all by yourself.

I learn way more about fowling when hunting by myself. I don't always hunt by myself, but do so often. Sometimes, its just the way to go.

Last...I certainly don't need anyone else to put the passion into myself "getting up" in the am.

Geez you anti social, ole grouch... No wonder you never offered last year....

Just j/king lol :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Calikev » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Butta boom wrote:The hunting solo thing is an obvious red flag as well. If you are hunting public land, maybe for a while, until you find a buddy, which means looking for one

People hunt solo for different reasons. For me it has a therapeutic quality to it. I like to go solo during the more quiet times of the year to really iron out the mundane pressures of every day life. We work in a stressed world these days so having a pure one on one experience out there hunting gets my head straight sometimes. My dog doesn't talk so often the focus is just on the hunting aspect and that really cleanses the crud out so to speak........

I also enjoy hunting with partners. It just all depends on the mood. Me and my partners often split up from a scouting perspective during the doldrums and hunt different spots to share intel at the end of the day. When someone strikes something up then we partner up on that spot. Several scouts in the field are better than 3 guys in the same spot not seeing the # of places they potentially could be seeing. So from a tactical perspective, going solo has those benefits as well.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:11 pm

BD and Kevin for the win! :lol3:

Good posts on everyone's part. Interesting to see the different philosophies. All applicable at different times I suspect.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting