Browning gold 10 gauge vs Remington sp-10

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Browning gold 10 gauge vs Remington sp-10

Postby UmatillaJeff » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:02 pm

The standard weight browning doesn't have hye goofy shell feeding issue. The light is like the beretta shotguns. It seems like it takes three hands to load one until you get the hang of it.

I own and shoot both. The extra long Remington cases have hung up in both guns. My sp-10's as well as the Browning golds have both failed to feed those long cases. The guy that was having trouble with his 1 shells/4 Remingtons ejecting was having that problem because the factor loaded ammo was too long! The shells will feed just fine,it's when they are fired that they become too long and they will hang up.

I have had Remington empty hulls that were too long as well. I also trimmed them and the problem went away. Not a good thing if you are shooting factory ammo and nothing you can do about it except load reloads or other ammo and make the long cases your third shot.

Better yet.... If you don't plan on re-loading, just buy Winchester ammo as they are never too long.

They are both great but the Browning has always been easier to clean then the Remington. This is the sole reason I would go with the Browning.

As for parts? Yuo just call Remington. They have every part you could ever need. Parts are not an issue. The gun really doesn't break many parts anyway. Neither does the Browning. I wouldn't buy the lite model for the ammo loading issue as well as the fact that you can buy a used Gold for less then 700 bucks on Gunbroker most of the time.

buying a 10ga shotgun with the bore shot out of it is like buying a 458 Winchester magnum that needs a new barrel.

Most guys buy a 10 and quickly find out that they can't kill birds any farther with it then they can a 12ga and sell them.

It's painfully simple to find a near new used 10ga auto.

Just don't make the mistake of shooting small shot and you will have a gun that will add 15 to 20 yards to your range. I shoot nothing smaller then T's and if Bucks run gets the TT's back in stock this year, I will never shoot T's again. Jeff
Duck hunters chat.. a place where people who never shoot past 40 yards explain how to do it better to the guys who do it all the time.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:05 pm

If I had to choose? It would be the Browning.

If all I ever hunted out of was hide a blinds, It would be the Remigton. It comes up just enough quicker with the 26 inch barrel to get the nod out of a hide a blind.

If I never hunted out of hide a blinds it would be the Browning hands down. Jeff
Duck hunters chat.. a place where people who never shoot past 40 yards explain how to do it better to the guys who do it all the time.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby Dan the goose slayer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:58 pm

UmatillaJeff wrote:If I had to choose? It would be the Browning.

If all I ever hunted out of was hide a blinds, It would be the Remigton. It comes up just enough quicker with the 26 inch barrel to get the nod out of a hide a blind.

If I never hunted out of hide a blinds it would be the Browning hands down. Jeff

I would think the browning would come up quicker because its lighter and im buying the gun in 5 or 6 days and when i do buy it it will be the browning. I just think they stand behind their products more then remington. Im not 100% on this decision though. Thanks

Dan
Dan the goose slayer
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:10 pm

The new Browning is lighter. The old was not. I wouldn't own one of the new ones. Jeff
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby Dan the goose slayer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:28 pm

UmatillaJeff wrote:The new Browning is lighter. The old was not. I wouldn't own one of the new ones. Jeff

Why not the new and old ones are the same guns just with different receivers. At least I think all I know that is different is that one has a aluminum receiver
Dan the goose slayer
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:39 am

I have owned both models of Gold 10. I like the light model much better. After having 24, 26, 28 and 30 inch barrels, my favorite is the 28 with the 30 being second.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:30 pm

I shoot lead now and again and I have no need for a light 10ga. One pound means nothing and I hate the way the new ones load. Like a damn Beretta.

Reminds me of the guys who hike in 9 miles and want a gun that weighs two pounds less. What are you going to do? Shoot the smallest buck you see so you don't have to pack the weight out????

It's a 10ga! If you want light this isn't the gun to make you happy. The new ones are only one pound less. You still have a heavy shotgun.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby Dan the goose slayer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:41 pm

UmatillaJeff wrote:I shoot lead now and again and I have no need for a light 10ga. One pound means nothing and I hate the way the new ones load. Like a damn Beretta.

Reminds me of the guys who hike in 9 miles and want a gun that weighs two pounds less. What are you going to do? Shoot the smallest buck you see so you don't have to pack the weight out????

It's a 10ga! If you want light this isn't the gun to make you happy. The new ones are only one pound less. You still have a heavy shotgun.

I know it's not a light shotgun but why does it matter ? You don't want a light 10 gauge it would kick like a mule. I don't really think the way the new ones load is that much to deal with. I would also only use steel in this gun. Maney lead every now and then for turkey but that's it. The only other ten gauges I know of are the Remington sp-10 ithaca mag 10 browning bps and over under and sxs. I think I'll get the browning lite I think the loading thing isn't that big of a deal. I mean give me one example where it would be a disadvantage
Thanks
Dan
Dan the goose slayer
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:16 am

It's not any disadvantage. It's just not as easy as loading my gold. I own lots of autoloaders. They all load the same. Besides.. I would rather buy used and save my self 500 bucks. You seldom see a 10ga that has been shot very much and clean used models are a simple find.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby Dan the goose slayer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:48 pm

UmatillaJeff wrote:It's not any disadvantage. It's just not as easy as loading my gold. I own lots of autoloaders. They all load the same. Besides.. I would rather buy used and save my self 500 bucks. You seldom see a 10ga that has been shot very much and clean used models are a simple find.

I think I could adjust to it also can you guys post your preferred chockes and ammo/ reload recipes
thanks

Dan
Dan the goose slayer
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:01 pm

I have a gold 10....loooove it......little extra weight is well worth the hardly noticeable recoil from 3.5 in mags..........luv browning!!
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby Dan the goose slayer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Okay guys today I pulled the trigger on a browning gold lite in mossy oak shadow grass with a 26 inch barrel. When I receive it I should wipe off the packing grease them put a coat of oil on it right? Or should it be solvent? Also I'm going to need recommendations for factory ammo until I get my reloader. Also would you suggest any after market chokes. I'm looking intol the terror chockes. Do you have any particular one you like

Thanks

Dan
Last edited by Dan the goose slayer on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan the goose slayer
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:46 pm

Contact Truelock Chokes and ask them if they have the extended full all metal in stock. Buy it, your done. The rest of your shooting, the factory choke are perfectly fine.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum