what new dekes to get?

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

what new dekes to get?

Postby strickland » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:04 pm

Hey guys. What decoys would you all reccomend? I was planning on getting some GHG mallards but heard they are having paint issues. I like the Dakota decoys but am kind of nervous about throwing the flocked heads into a decoys bag all together. I really like theaavain x decoys tthough. If it means anything g I'll only be hunting prob ten times a yr. Thanks guys!
strickland
hunter

Re: what new dekes to get?

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:17 pm

10x a year? Well, that comment made my answer pretty clear and easy ... Flambou Storm Fronts, cost is about $2.50 a deek, so if paint chips or flakes by end of season, who cares. I HAD 38Dakotas because I wanted a swinging **** basically, but I'm a diver guy, and I puddler about 10x a year ... cost ratio, they are light and cheap but do a solid job

Also, hot buys ... my .02
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby cackiller » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:19 pm

I had a chance to see the new avian x mallards in person and I thought they looked good. They resembled avery's quite a bit but I really liked the head position on the searching feeder. Haven't heard much about the paint but I had to really scratch is hard with my fingernail to get paint off. However I was also able to get paint of Dakota mallards doing the same thing.

GHG has always been mentioned as having paint problems I have had and used lots, I have never had the paint chip off in huge flakes like many people complain about it it has worn and been scratched off. It may not be the best pain but in my experience not nearly as bad as it seems. The pintails I have show the most wear but then again there several years old and I never single bag them.
cackiller
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:37 pm

I have had a bunch of different brand of decoys... Hidgon standard foam filled mallards are the toughest best looking decoys you can get for under 50 bucks a dozen. Storm fronts suck... And hot buy floaters suck as well... (the goose shells and duck shells are awesome!) Paint falls off, plastic cracks, keels break off... You can't beat the hidgons for the price range. Plus if you get a couple pellet holes in them they still float. No brainier IMO.
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby MadLuc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:02 am

I agree with BBBD. I have been using the Flambeau Storm Fronts for a couple years now and for the price they have worked well and the paint has held up good. One of my hunting buddies uses the GHG Mallards and they would be my second choice. No major paint chips and he is pretty rough with them.
MadLuc
hunter

Postby strickland » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:43 pm

That is for the replies guys. Let me clarify the ten time thing. I plan on making about ten trips to the east side a yr for the weekend. But I also plan to do a bunch of day hints around where I live. So I will hunt way more then ten times a yr. So I went to look at the Dakotas today a d really like them a lot. The only thing I don't like is the flocked head. I don't want to put them into a slotted bag just throw them into a regular decoy bag and go. I just don't want the flocking to rub off. Is there something I can put over the heads for protection? Thanks guys I appreciate the help
strickland
hunter

Postby BigBlondeBirdDog » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:48 pm

Look, my recommendation was strictly on a cost value point of view. The Dakotas come with two sets of heads, one set painted, one set flocked on the drakes. I did last year, have 38 Dakotas ... sold them all. To me, they were nice, but the weight ratio on them is killer on a bad back. They are larger deek with larger weighted keel. I would guess that carrying those 38Dakotas ... added 25lbs more weight from keels alone.

Now Storm fronts, true, not the best deek on the market but make a good inexpencive "filler" deek. Plus, you said 10x ... I just think, for the money and time, cheap isnt always a bad way to go.

CBL and I went out yesterday and with diff body styles, diff deeks ... made our spread look pretty decent. Double limit by 8:35am

Good luck
: Waterfowl Junkie & Host of "Pacific Flyway Radio"

Ragged Outdoors Pro Staff Drinking Team
Killians Irish Red Pro Staff Drinking Team
Famous Dave's BBQ Rib Tip Platter Phat Boy Team
BigBlondeBirdDog
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Depends a lot on how your treat your dekes.
I run 3 dz dakotas and store them in slotted bags. They have held up well and to my eye are by far the most realistic decoy available on the market. I don't know if the ducks are really as picky as I am though.

I shot a bunch of ducks over avian x recently. They seem to be a nice decoy but I wouldn't pay any more for them than I would GHG dekes.

If you are going to take care of your dekes and keep them a long time, the higher end stuff is really nice. If you are going to throw them all into one bag or texas rig them, buy cheap dekes and replace/repaint them every year.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Tealer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:49 pm

I have turned to hunt exclusively over GHG duck decoys. Almost all of which are pro grades.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby cougfan316 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:55 pm

I'd say ghg. That's what I use mixed with body language decoys. Planning on gradually sending my dekes in to be flocked by them.
cougfan316
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:52 pm

cougfan316 wrote:I'd say ghg. That's what I use mixed with body language decoys. Planning on gradually sending my dekes in to be flocked by them.

+1 GHG Pro-Grades. As they start to show signs of wear, send them into bodylanguage decoys.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:02 am

I agree with cougar and tealer Ghg pro grades are great, I'd highly reccomend them.
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Pfcwhit » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:45 am

I've owned Dakota's and pro grades. I am done with the Dakota's. they're good lookin decoys, but there something about them that's different. I've shot way more birds over pro grades and I won't use anything else now.
Pfcwhit
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:14 am

kcidkcus wrote:Hidgon standard foam filled mallards are the toughest best looking decoys you can get for under 50 bucks a dozen. You can't beat the hidgons for the price range. Plus if you get a couple pellet holes in them they still float. No brainier IMO.

+1 for the higdon standard foam filled. Not a real big ddecoy, but tuff as nails

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
ohtajj
hunter

Postby strickland » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:07 am

Thanks for the help guys. I've decided to go with the Dakotas. I called Dakota up yesterday and talked for a few min. They actually don't come with both the flocked and painted heads any more they just come with the flocked. But the person I talked to said if I end up not kkking the flocked head he would paint some new ones up without the flocking and send them out to me. That's prob what sold me in them that they would do that to make the customer happy. Again thanks for the help guys I can't wait to get these things out.
strickland
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting