swamp runner engine kits

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

swamp runner engine kits

Postby cam liden » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:45 am

has anyone ever ordered a mud motor kit from the company Swamp Runner? If so, what was your experience? the prices seem cheap, some im wondering if it is just crap. thanks
cam liden
hunter

Re: swamp runner engine kits

Postby radfordc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:54 am

I finished mine last week. There is a picture on another thread here. I built the "mini" motor using a 2.5hp LiFan engine. First the Swamp Runner kit is very good. The materials are strong and well finished. I did have some minor issues due to the engine I had. This was an old engine that didn't have the proper mounting plate on it, so I had to drill some additional holes in the motor mount to fit. I also had to purchase some different mounting bolts because the ones that came in the kit were a different thread size than I needed for my engine. Other than this everything went together really easy. Make sure that the motor you intend to use has the correct mounting dimensions and you should be good to go.

The long tail shaft for the mini turned out to be longer and heavier than I was expecting, but it seems really strong. I haven't had the engine in the water yet but it runs great on the test stand.
radfordc
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:44 am

Last edited by threedogs on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby cam liden » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:55 am

radfordc wrote:I finished mine last week. There is a picture on another thread here. I built the "mini" motor using a 2.5hp LiFan engine. First the Swamp Runner kit is very good. The materials are strong and well finished. I did have some minor issues due to the engine I had. This was an old engine that didn't have the proper mounting plate on it, so I had to drill some additional holes in the motor mount to fit. I also had to purchase some different mounting bolts because the ones that came in the kit were a different thread size than I needed for my engine. Other than this everything went together really easy. Make sure that the motor you intend to use has the correct mounting dimensions and you should be good to go.

The long tail shaft for the mini turned out to be longer and heavier than I was expecting, but it seems really strong. I haven't had the engine in the water yet but it runs great on the test stand.

thanks radfordc. I'm gonna be using mine on a small 14 ft Jon boat. The boat is narrow and very light so I was thinking of either the 6.5hp kit or the 11hp kit. I hunt on a river a lot so I was leaning towards the 11. Will that be enough to push me upstream with another guy and decoys?
cam liden
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:09 pm

I have an LT 6.5 PFF on a 14x32 jon. It pushes me just fine.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:25 pm

I got it and very happy with it . I'm running the 6.5 HF motor ( Honda clone ) . Got the motor for 99.95 on special with a 2 yr warranty with no questions ask :biggrin: . Already know of a guy who drop his in the water and took it back with no problems . I run my rig on a 8 foot lowes river boat , think sometimes too much motor for the boat . But it fly's , I'm going to pick up another jon later on . I recommend this , with everything only cost a little under 580 . Better than 2 grand , which is about the right cost of that size motor with other company's .
dogyak
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:32 pm

radfordc wrote:I finished mine last week. There is a picture on another thread here. I built the "mini" motor using a 2.5hp LiFan engine. First the Swamp Runner kit is very good. The materials are strong and well finished. I did have some minor issues due to the engine I had. This was an old engine that didn't have the proper mounting plate on it, so I had to drill some additional holes in the motor mount to fit. I also had to purchase some different mounting bolts because the ones that came in the kit were a different thread size than I needed for my engine. Other than this everything went together really easy. Make sure that the motor you intend to use has the correct mounting dimensions and you should be good to go.

Post up and tell us what you're using it on and the results/speed when you get a chance.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Im pretty sure this is the kit a good buddy of mine just ordered. He ordered the largest model for a 20hp honda he has and is putting it on a 1444 jon boat. Im thinking it should get some pretty good speeds. It will be here tuesday and he will post up some photos and maybe a short video for you guys
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby radfordc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:56 pm

I got the engine mounted on the boat and a trailer to haul it. Should be able to get in the water soon.
Attachments
SWAMP RUNNER 1.JPG
radfordc
hunter

Postby threedogs » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:11 am

Is there a reason you made the transom so tall ?
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 pm

That transom looks mighty weak standing proud and tall. Might want reinforce it with some 3/4 inch aluminum tubing on a 45 degree angle . Flatten the ends and bolt to the boat and bottom of mottor plate. I would hat to see you lose your new motor.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:49 pm

X3 on that transom.... the motor is light weight enough but you'll get more bang for your HP with a lower angle of attack. Plus it won't look so funny and will be easier to hide :thumbsup:

Unless you need the clearance for your handle to dip it down and clear stuff behind you with your shaft (up and over stuff) I would seriously think about taking off a couple of inches.. looks good though! :thumbsup:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby radfordc » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Good idea. I will cut it down some and see how that works.
radfordc
hunter

Postby radfordc » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:43 pm

I cut the transom down and put the boat on the water today. Top speed was just over 5 mph by GPS. The little 2.5 hp engine isn't able to turn full rpm's with the small 5" prop, but it sure beats paddling. The boat itself is stable enough but not near as stable as the hybrid I had a few years ago. However, it's lighter and easier to carry than the hybrid was so that's a plus. I'll be able to carry a bag of decoys and a gun and not much else.
Attachments
DUCK BOAT 3.JPG
radfordc
hunter

Postby blakduck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:59 pm

The swamp runner kits are awesome!! I have had mine for over a month and the kit has worked as advertised. Make sure that you get a good motor. I have gone through two lemon predator motors from hf and now I've got a honda on the way.
blakduck
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:26 pm

We ran my buddies tonigh with the 20hp honda on a 1444 lowe.. got 21mph on gps with two guys on board. And that wasn't full throttle. We r installing a digital tach before we open her up
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby threedogs » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:47 pm

blakduck wrote:The swamp runner kits are awesome!! I have had mine for over a month and the kit has worked as advertised. Make sure that you get a good motor. I have gone through two lemon predator motors from hf and now I've got a honda on the way.

+1 on the junky HF motors.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds