Sarge - First hunt

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Sarge - First hunt

Postby Rutin » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:19 am

Took my 11 month old on his first hunt yesterday and today. Yesterday we got 11, today only 3. He's come a long way and we still have a LONG way to go. Pretty pleased with the pup, made all retrieves to hand, drive was high, marking was great, just wish his prey drive was a little better on cripples. He likes to get out there and goof off for about 30 secs with it before picking it up and returning to hand. Only happened a couple times in the past two days but I def need to nip this in the butt before it becomes a problem.

Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Rutin
hunter

Re: Sarge - First hunt

Postby t_baker » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Nice shootin.
t_baker
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:40 pm

some shacked ducks should help with the cripples.

also nice pic got to love a choco dog that loves to work.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Rutin » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:25 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:some shacked ducks should help with the cripples.

Yea going to have to give it a try. One minute he's diving under way for cripples and the next he's di**ing off. Its like FF went out the window for a minute and he wants to play.
Rutin
hunter

Postby labsforme » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:20 am

Nice looking pup. He's still a puppy. How much attention span did you have when you where 6 years old? Learning to stay on cripples takes a couple of seasons even with older dogs.
Just have fun.
labsforme
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:53 am

Rutin , he did good . He didn't blink any or give up . Sounds great to me for his first hunt :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:49 am

Rutin wrote:
krazybronco2 wrote:some shacked ducks should help with the cripples.

Yea going to have to give it a try. One minute he's diving under way for cripples and the next he's di**ing off. Its like FF went out the window for a minute and he wants to play.

Sounds like you had some high expectations....give him a couple seasons man and you'll be posting about how he's balls to the wall on crips. Enjoy these "puppy" years as they go by fast.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rutin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks guys! I can honestly say it was MY fault with SUPER high expectations.... I even told my hunting partner before we got started that this was a learning year.... so lets take it nice and steady. It truly was my fault for not making sure the bird was dead before releasing him but then again it was a huge learning experience for him and ME as well. Talked to my trainer today and he said the same a lot of you have said.... He's a pup ZACH!!! He wont be solid until he's 3..... enjoy the goof ups and allow him to learn! We are headed to Lake Huron on Weds, and hunting the Saginaw Bay Thurs, Fri, Sat.... Sarge is going to get to see what big water is all about. I'm REALLY pumped for him.... I cant wait to watch him! He truly has been a pleasure to work with and I plan on taking a lot of pictures to share.
Rutin
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum