BS at the blind

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

BS at the blind

Postby ohio mike » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:37 pm

Opening Day I discovered somebody had used my blind without permission during the youth season. But they were nice enough to leave some trash behind to give us something to do when we weren't seeing ducks. So another generation of slob hunters is born. Good ole Indian Lake. The sad part is all they had to do is ask.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Re: BS at the blind

Postby txhunter90 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:43 pm

Is your blind stamped? Or just something that yall built abd is a free for all.
txhunter90
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:06 pm

Blind is from the state drawing,I paid 50 bucks for the right to build a blind in that location. It comes with a lease and all others must have written permission to use it. A copy of the paperwork is in the blind with my phone no. on it.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:25 am

ohio mike wrote:Blind is from the state drawing,I paid 50 bucks for the right to build a blind in that location. It comes with a lease and all others must have written permission to use it. A copy of the paperwork is in the blind with my phone no. on it.

Gotcha ya a little courtesy would have been good.
txhunter90
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:36 pm

That sucks buddy. I hate people that have no respect for others stuff
And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
I mean .50 caliber made by badazz Hebrews
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:08 pm

People suck.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby kcidkcus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:12 pm

I'm not from Ohio but is there any laws about locking up your blind? I have seen guys do that with pad locks they store their decoys and stuff there as well.
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Yall have the right to kick them out if somebody tries to hunt your blind right when you are trying to. Do they have to be a certain distance from your blind?
txhunter90
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:21 pm

kcidkcus wrote:I'm not from Ohio but is there any laws about locking up your blind? I have seen guys do that with pad locks they store their decoys and stuff there as well.

Problem with our lake is there have been blinds burnt down in the past when they are locked up.

I know Mike's pain and have had the same issues this year on the lake.
t_baker
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:38 pm

t_baker wrote:
kcidkcus wrote:I'm not from Ohio but is there any laws about locking up your blind? I have seen guys do that with pad locks they store their decoys and stuff there as well.

Problem with our lake is there have been blinds burnt down in the past when they are locked up.

Wow.... Sounds more like a war zone then a waterfowl hunting lake
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:48 pm

kcidkcus wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Nah.
t_baker
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:37 pm

t_baker wrote:
kcidkcus wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Nah.

Intentionally burning down peoples blinds? That's a bit crazy I think haha and wouldn't it be considered tresspassing to go into someone else's private blind that they lease? Tresspassing+firearm= felony tresspass. Or is there some wierd law about that?
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:27 am

kcidkcus wrote:
t_baker wrote:
kcidkcus wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Nah.

Intentionally burning down peoples blinds? That's a bit crazy I think haha and wouldn't it be considered tresspassing to go into someone else's private blind that they lease? Tresspassing+firearm= felony tresspass. Or is there some wierd law about that?

This isnt typical behavior there. I am saying that past blinds have been torn up or burnt down due to them being locked. Maybe 4 or 5 I remember over the past 15 years. Just easier to run them out and pick up after them. It is something you cant control if your not there. If you think this is dramatic go to Reel Foot or some WMA's in Arkansas and listen to their stories.
t_baker
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:33 am

It's actually better then it was 30 years ago. I was in my late 30's then and dealt with things a bit different . Back then they had a habit of camping on your decoys and skybusting. The lake was absolutely crazy on opening day. Hundreds if not thousands of coot died.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:21 am

ohio mike wrote:It's actually better then it was 30 years ago. I was in my late 30's then and dealt with things a bit different . Back then they had a habit of camping on your decoys and skybusting. The lake was absolutely crazy on opening day. Hundreds if not thousands of coot died.

My grandpa said it used to be awful.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OrangeMilk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Hunted some public ponds Saturday morning then went out to put camo on the blind. Got there and found two guy s sitting in the blind. They saw us coming and starting packing up and heading to their boat.

We stopped them and told them not to come back, they said they didn't know they were not allowed to hunt it and thought it was a public blind. I asked them that if that's what they thought why did they pack up when we got there?

They just stood there looking stupid for a few seconds before turning and heading away.

A couple of the guys are wanting to leave their decoys in the blind all season, I will not, they will be stolen.

P.S. the two guys we chased out didn't even have decoys
If you see the ammo in my avatar on sale anywhere, please let me know, thanks.
OrangeMilk
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:51 am

OrangeMilk wrote:Hunted some public ponds Saturday morning then went out to put camo on the blind. Got there and found two guy s sitting in the blind. They saw us coming and starting packing up and heading to their boat.

We stopped them and told them not to come back, they said they didn't know they were not allowed to hunt it and thought it was a public blind. I asked them that if that's what they thought why did they pack up when we got there?

They just stood there looking stupid for a few seconds before turning and heading away.

A couple of the guys are wanting to leave their decoys in the blind all season, I will not, they will be stolen.

P.S. the two guys we chased out didn't even have decoys

Good gravy!! What's happened to the Buckeye State?
I've been kickin 'round the idea of gettin a license for OH to see what youns (Steelers talk) have to offer. Don't know now.
Trespassing in blinds?
Stealing decoys?
Burning down blinds? What if I camp out in a blind while one of these Buckeye arsonists is loose? It would be the end of macdaddy! Burned to death - in a duck blind?

I don't know, Ohioans. Just don't know.

:lol3:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Craxty » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:09 pm

FWIW, One day last season I stopped at the Mosquito lake refuge inquiring about hunting. He told me that they didn't have any birds at the refuge as they were all camped out on the lake itself. I asked if the lake was open for hunting and he said yes. Then he pointed to the map with all the spots they have a blind lottery for. I was shocked at how many they had. I think there were about 70 spots. He gave me a description of how the process worked. He said people paid money for the right to build a semi-permenant blind at their drawn location. It had to be removed as soon as season was over. I said, well there would be no place to hunt if you didn't win the drawing. He told me that if a blind was there and no one was in it I had full right to use it. I said, well what happens if they pull up and I'm in their blind? He told me that I didn't even have to vacate it. I was a bit surprised but we continued to talk and then I went on my way. The next day I called back and got another guy on the phone at the refuge and confirmed what I heard the previous day. He said the exact same thing without hesitation. The drawing gives you the right to build a blind but it is available to anyone at anytime.

I never ended up going hunting that day as we had to pack up and leave town to head back home. I just assumed this is how all the state blind drawing were handled. He said nothing about written permission. Maybe it's on a lake-by-lake basis.

Postby asmythe32 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:27 am

Illinois is that way. If you win a drawing to build a blind on public land you have to be in the blind a half hour before shooting time or it is fair game to anyone who wants to hunt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
asmythe32
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Craxty wrote:FWIW, One day last season I stopped at the Mosquito lake refuge inquiring about hunting. He told me that they didn't have any birds at the refuge as they were all camped out on the lake itself. I asked if the lake was open for hunting and he said yes. Then he pointed to the map with all the spots they have a blind lottery for. I was shocked at how many they had. I think there were about 70 spots. He gave me a description of how the process worked. He said people paid money for the right to build a semi-permenant blind at their drawn location. It had to be removed as soon as season was over. I said, well there would be no place to hunt if you didn't win the drawing. He told me that if a blind was there and no one was in it I had full right to use it. I said, well what happens if they pull up and I'm in their blind? He told me that I didn't even have to vacate it. I was a bit surprised but we continued to talk and then I went on my way. The next day I called back and got another guy on the phone at the refuge and confirmed what I heard the previous day. He said the exact same thing without hesitation. The drawing gives you the right to build a blind but it is available to anyone at anytime.

I never ended up going hunting that day as we had to pack up and leave town to head back home. I just assumed this is how all the state blind drawing were handled. He said nothing about written permission. Maybe it's on a lake-by-lake basis.

We actually have a permission slip with the names of the people allowed to hunt the blind and signed by the blind holder. Its supposed to be in the blind at all times. This slip is given to you the day of the drawing when you pay for your blind.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Craxty » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:41 pm

My guess is that each Ohio lake can set their own rules. Just like each controlled hunt is a little different based on each wilderness area.

Regardless of the rules, I'd be a little uncomfortable using someones blind even if I had the right too. Can you imagine the conversation that would unfold 20 minutes to shooting time if the blind owner popped in and the person exercised their right to use the blind. LOL. Definitely BS at the blind! :mad:

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting