Decoy setting question

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Decoy setting question

Postby slumpman1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:19 am

Question.... I have hunted the coastal zone all my life. Tried the southern zone many times but I always have problems setting decoys. When the tide comes in on the marsh creeks, if I use individual weights inevitably some decoys will break free and float away; If I use a long line and heavier weight, the first decoy usually ends up partially submerged and looking stupid. Any tricks?
slumpman1
Newb

Re: Decoy setting question

Postby FowlHooked » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:20 pm

Marsh Mud decoy weight and line
Or
Use a longer line on weights??Don't keep it strait down with Tide coming up. Bigger weight???
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
FowlHooked
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:10 pm

It's always somewhat of a pain, but if you use individual lines you have to anchor like you would a boat with at least 2-3 times the depth at high tide. Of course floating grass will still carry some away, heavy tide current may still pull a smaller profile (teal) decoy under and if you're not careful you'll end up with tangled together deke strings.
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical"-Thomas Jefferson
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby ithaca10 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Longer line and heavier weight.
Proud Father of a United States Marine
ithaca10
hunter

Postby Diver-Down » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Move um out of the current. Either in an eddy or tight up against the bank. It sure doesn't look too natural to have um swinging back and forth in a strong current.
USCG Capt. Steve Lessel
Diver-Down
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting