Duck Jerky

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Duck Jerky

Postby Robberwood » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:05 am

Made some very good duck jerky the other day. Cut any duck into strips (Whatever size that u prefer your jerky) Marinade in soy sauce, woshishire (or however u spell it), a little bit of brown sugar, tabasco (if u like it spicy), and any terriyaki sauce. Let it soak for a couple of days so it takes out the gamy flavor then dehydrate for 6-8 hours at around 145 degrees. Is great for a snack or a meal!
Beware very addictive!!!!
Enjoy!
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Duck Marinade?

Postby thaner » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:31 pm

Sounds good. Want to make some soon myself. What were the amounts of each in the mix?
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:54 pm

No real cook cooks with amounts!! lol j/k just make it to your liking and it depends on how much duck your doing. Just make the mix not to thick but not to runny either. Make some and taste test it and see what flavors u like more. (u can add onion flakes too, forgot that one).
Enjoy
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby thaner » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:38 am

Sounds good thanks!
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:03 pm

we make jerky every year. its the best way to eat divers.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:15 pm

just made up some jerkey..it is certainly the way to go with ducks.

-cut into strips and soaked overnight in a heavy brine mix.
- rinse, then marinade in teriyake sauce and a couple of tablespoons of liquid smoke overnight.
-remove from marinade and sprinkle with pepper
-put into food dehydrator for about 6 hours
-remove from dehydrator and heat in oven at 175 for 1 hour. (kills any bacteria)

if you don't have a dehydrator then just popping the strips in the oven at 150 or so will work. just raise the temp to 175 for the last hour to kill off anything that might be living on or in them.

i am going to try my next batch with a fruit marinade...but i need more ducks.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Snaph » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:23 pm

Swamp Hippy... :mrgreen: I have a question or two. I have been making beef jerky lately, this is my new hobby now. I have not tried duck yet, but this is my question. Does duck take longer than beef? I can get a batch done in less than 4 hours (about two pounds) at 155 degs in my dehydrator. I don't put it in the over to kill anything off. Is that a bad idea? (nobody got sick so far)
I figured the brine/mix I use would do this. I don't know, I get ideas in my head, and assume it's ok.

But anyway, I use mix right off the store shelf from Gamder MT. Hickory flavor. I love this stuff, but I add cajun seasoning, creole seasoning (prob the same thing) a little greek seasoning and Tabasco and/or redhot. It's good stuff, I have had guys at work pay me (I charge them my cost) to make this for them. So I must be doing something right.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:51 pm

as far as the oven thing goes..i have only heard that you should do that with poultry. probably not necessary with beef or deer.

i haven't tried to make beef jerkey yet...so not sure if it is shorter or longer times than duck. it probably has more to do with how big of pieces you are making than what you are making. i cut one breast half into 3 strips. so mine are pretty thick and that's probably why it is an all day event to dry them.

i am certainly no expert on making jerkey..this is a fairly new venture for me to find some other way to make ducks edible besides chili.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Snaph » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:19 pm

Thanks Swamp. I have a few breasts left in the freezer. The next time I make jerky, (it will be soon I'm sure) I will add the duck to it and I will find out how long it takes compared to beef, and how it turns out. Good bad or just OK.
Snaph
hunter

Postby gahunter » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:28 pm

I'm gonna have to try the ducks when I get some more. I have made deer jerky several times and it is always a hit. I put all kinds of stuff in the marinade, Dale's (a Southern seasoning sauce), garlic powder, onion powder, lots of black pepper, tabasco, I have used Jim Beam, italian dressing, and I know that there is other stuff that I'm forgetting. I sent some to Iraq, and my buddy said that it was a hit among his Marines. :getdown:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby PuddleHopper » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:44 pm

We don't shoot alot of duck because we never knew how to cook it. Maybe 10 to 15 a season because we don't want to waste alot. I'm interested in trying to make jerky. This just might give me a reason to stock up, which means more hunting for me. Alright!
Box of 12 ga. lead quail loads. --- $5.50
4 Candy bars --- $3.15
15 gallons of gasoline --- $34.00 (ouch)
Taking a three day weekend to quail hunt with your dad and your dog.... Priceless
PuddleHopper
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:42 pm

i intend on having a smoker here real soon..next year i'll be doing my jerkey in the smoker instead of the dehydrator (or maybe 50/50).
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:06 pm

I have a smoker, don't have a dehydrator. How long and what temp would you put duck strips in an oven.

I haven't tried smoking the ducks either, I like them too much the way I cook them. How long do you usually smoke the duck for?
tstrong
hunter

Postby C_DUbb » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:25 pm

Rule of thumb for brine.
Cover meat with water. remove meat. add enough salt to float a raw egg.
all the rest of the ingrediants are for taste.

Worchestersire sauce, Soy sauce, both are primarily salt products.

Wines, Juices are acidic and help to soften the meat.

Just some helpful hints from expieriance.

C Dubb
Callem in your face close!!
And
Do em
UGLY!!!
C_DUbb
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking