Decoy Sled?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Decoy Sled?

Postby Chance » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:53 pm

First off, I hope everyone is having a good and safe season to date.

I'm in the market for a decoy sled, now that my son is going with me I just can't carry everything needed and he is just not big enough to slosh around in the much with a back full of gear and arrive to our desitnation dry. Sure sitting on a ponds edge, tucked behind some cat tails, waiting for the first rays of sun, with wet feet from water coming over your waders is all part of it but if I can minimize the frozen toes I will.

I'm looking at the Beaver Tail Sleds and the Shappell Jet Sleds. Both have excellent reviews and both seem well built, so I'm just looking for first hand experience from the group here.

Anybody had both and prefer one over the other?

Thanks
Chance
hunter

Re: Decoy Sled?

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:11 pm

I have a 4 ft Beavertail. Freaking awesome boat, came with decoy bag that you can mount on it or leave off. No experience with the other brand.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Do you need to float gear or drag through shallow muck?
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Chance » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:04 pm

BBK wrote:Do you need to float gear or drag through shallow muck?

More shallow muck but I do have a couple areas that are knee deep where it would just float behind me.
Chance
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:07 pm

With a jet sled you may have trouble floating a lot of gear, plus they are not very tough. We had two crack last year ice fishing. A crack will kill you pulling it through water. I'd go the other route, but that's just me... if you do go jet sled, buy a black one.. they are usually cheaper. If need be, a $1 can of brown dollar store spray paint will dull it up some.
BBK
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:29 pm

I've got 2 Jet Sleds... bought black and camo'ed up with spray paint.
'Float that gear behind you in a sled instead of packing decoys in on your back.
Smart solution for a puddle/marsh hunter.
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:36 pm

I got the beavertail Medium. Light weight, good on dry land, perfect in the water.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:44 pm

BBK wrote:With a jet sled you may have trouble floating a lot of gear, plus they are not very tough.

I've had a couple of what I think are jet sleds for 10 or so years, and we've found them plenty rugged for waterfowling:

And they'll float a big bag of decoys just fine:

Don't know about super cold temps, but doubt Chance would be anxious to take his boy then, anyway.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:55 pm

The dog in the first picture is thinking "did you HAVE to bring ALL of these decoys?" :lol3:
BBK
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:06 pm

I have the Shapell sled. (not the XL one) and its great! I can easily fit my blind bag, gun, marsh seat, and 3-4doz duck decoys in it no problem. also its gets everything out to the marsh with much less effort, glides right through the water, across ice, snow, and frozen ground. moist unfrozen soil takes a good bit more effort to drag.

Mine has more than paid for its self last season when I got it. much easier on my back too. I can load all my decoys, throw the sled in my truck and then pull out the whole sled already loaded up from my truck when I get to where I'm hunting and start running to the X. Also I have tested it can float well over 120lbs, my little brother got in it while we were hunting a slow day and it floated him just fine, but it was tipsy.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:09 am

BBK wrote:The dog in the first picture is thinking "did you HAVE to bring ALL of these decoys?" :lol3:

Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:15 am

More seriously, he seems to enjoy pulling in harness:

But he's always been an endorphin freak who'll push through chest deep water or swim for what's been literal hours for the apparent fun of it.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Chance » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:28 am

Rick,

I always enjoy seeing pictures of the "coyote"!

Thanks to all for the info on the sleds.

Rick Hall wrote:More seriously, he seems to enjoy pulling in harness:

But he's always been an endorphin freak who'll push through chest deep water or swim for what's been literal hours for the apparent fun of it.
Chance
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:28 pm

I use the sled from four rivers layout boats it is big fiberglass and very tuff. Also floats great
coulterville33
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:32 pm

I've had an Otter sled for 16 years now. Use it for dragging deer, hauling decoys in water and across fields, use it ice fishing, and i can pile myself, my wife, and my 2 year old in it and work up some wicked speeds at the local sledding hill...

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Rick:
That's what I call pulling your weight... and then some.
Now If that coyote-dog was a darker shade of brown he'd look like a UPS truck pulling a double-trailer.

For me, discovering the decoy sled--some years back--was akin to using 'RainX' or 'Armorall' for the first time.
EUREKA! My back has been thanking me ever-since...

We open Saturday morning here--Central Zone IN--I'm so excited I can't sleep, and it's only Tuesday.
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:39 pm

Hunting partner pulls the Soroc Sports Sled large. It's roomy and extremely stable. Price is great compared to others. No issues yet. I use his spare Jet Sled and has issues with taking water on from the weight.

http://www.basspro.com/Soroc-Sports-Sleds/product/1205010502001/
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:17 am

Tim Terrell wrote:Rick:
That's what I call pulling your weight... and then some.
Now If that coyote-dog was a darker shade of brown he'd look like a UPS truck pulling a double-trailer.

For me, discovering the decoy sled--some years back--was akin to using 'RainX' or 'Armorall' for the first time.
EUREKA! My back has been thanking me ever-since...

We open Saturday morning here--Central Zone IN--I'm so excited I can't sleep, and it's only Tuesday.
--Tim

Hope your marsh is a buzzin' with 'em.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Flatrock » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Otter sleds are amazingly tough. Available in several sizes. Many sleds are not reinforced where the rope ties on - not good. My only problem is that people keep stealing the Otter Sled because it is so nice. Firewood, ice fishing, decoys, we even use it to portage heavy outboard motors on Canadian fishing trips, can be pulled behind a 4 wheeler. All the snow goose hunters use em.
Flatrock
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:30 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Hunting partner pulls the Soroc Sports Sled large. It's roomy and extremely stable. Price is great compared to others. No issues yet. I use his spare Jet Sled and has issues with taking water on from the weight.

http://www.basspro.com/Soroc-Sports-Sleds/product/1205010502001/

I've never had trouble with my Jet sled taking on water, I've never been able to pile enough decoys, guns, blind bags, marsh seats, or anything else in it to make it take on water.

2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Consider yourself lucky. I carry up to four dozen floaters with 8-12 ouncers per, four shotguns, magnum blind bag, a few other blind bags, spinner and birds and you are saying the Jet won't take water?!?! Okay.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:08 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Consider yourself lucky. I carry up to four dozen floaters with 8-12 ouncers per, four shotguns, magnum blind bag, a few other blind bags, spinner and birds and you are saying the Jet won't take water?!?! Okay.

I had 2 blind bags, 2 guns, 3 doz floaters with 4oz weights, then a doz dakota full body ducks and stands and she floated high and dry.

I've been thinking about making some tall sides for it so I can carry more decoys and such. I know for a fact mine will float over 140lbs without taking on water because I've got in it just to see what it could handle.

2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Maybe I should of said it was a Jr. Not sure what you are pulling for size.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:20 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Maybe I should of said it was a Jr. Not sure what you are pulling for size.

Jr as well here! :beer:

2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Hmmm. Then, maybe my water is different. :biggrin:
KillerKowalski
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum