No birds in October!

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Re: No birds in October!

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:39 am

That's not exactly news, Swamp.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Toledo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:07 am

They are here and THICK. Went out yesterday afternoon and shot my quick six. No doubt in my mind I saw over 10K pintail, grays, teal, wigeon, spoonies, ringnecks, and redheads. Its not just Texas. Im hearing reports of huge concentrations in La too.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:50 am

Rick Hall wrote:That's not exactly news, Swamp.

seems it is to some Rick.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Toledo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:43 am

Indaswamp wrote:“That’s a week or two later than normal,” Reynolds said. “So I’m nervous about this November survey. There’s a lot of evidence that this has been a late season phenologically. Things just seem to be progressing a little bit later.

One thing of note from both my observations of birds that are here and the reports I am hearing from La- There are still lots of blue wings mixed in with the other birds. It seems to me the blue wings were/are in fact late but the others are right on schedule.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Delta1389 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:48 pm

At least half of the birds we saw this past weekend for the youth hunt were blue wing teal.
Delta1389
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Toledo wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:“That’s a week or two later than normal,” Reynolds said. “So I’m nervous about this November survey. There’s a lot of evidence that this has been a late season phenologically. Things just seem to be progressing a little bit later.

One thing of note from both my observations of birds that are here and the reports I am hearing from La- There are still lots of blue wings mixed in with the other birds. It seems to me the blue wings were/are in fact late but the others are right on schedule.

Our big ducks are definitely late, too. If they'd opened the season in October, Larry would need body guards. Aside from a very few hot spots, the specks and ducks are just starting to show well, and I suspect there will be no shortage of disappointed hunters this weekend crying for later dates.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:53 pm

true dat Rick...any word on the number counts of first flights of the surveys???

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Of course, we will still have fun at da camp....running trot lines, nutria shootin, and enjoying the company with a few adult beverages....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Indaswamp wrote:true dat Rick...any word on the number counts of first flights of the surveys???

Pretty sure he just started yesterday, but haven't seen or heard anything about it.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby dog walker » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:40 am

Ive been out fishing a good bit and the majority of birds here are blue wings, I'm seeing numbers that I usually see in late sept now. The big ducks still haven't shown up in force, there are patches here and there. I keep getting reports of " lots" of birds here and there but the reports from the guys I trust are bleak to say the least.
dog walker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:42 am

dog walker wrote:Ive been out fishing a good bit and the majority of birds here are blue wings, I'm seeing numbers that I usually see in late sept now. The big ducks still haven't shown up in force, there are patches here and there. I keep getting reports of " lots" of birds here and there but the reports from the guys I trust are bleak to say the least.

same thing I'm hearing dog walker...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jrodgers » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:43 am

Indaswamp wrote:
dog walker wrote:Ive been out fishing a good bit and the majority of birds here are blue wings, I'm seeing numbers that I usually see in late sept now. The big ducks still haven't shown up in force, there are patches here and there. I keep getting reports of " lots" of birds here and there but the reports from the guys I trust are bleak to say the least.

It's interesting y'all are only seeing teal. I hunted the Texas opener in the SE Texas marsh. We killed a 6 man limit and only killed 6 teal the rest where gadwall and widgeon.
jrodgers
hunter

Postby dog walker » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:09 am

jrodgers wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

It's interesting y'all are only seeing teal. I hunted the Texas opener in the SE Texas marsh. We killed a 6 man limit and only killed 6 teal the rest where gadwall and widgeon.

Different flyway makes a difference I suppose. It's been shaping up to be a strange opener
dog walker
hunter

Postby deliriousII » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:07 am

Went to the lease sunday to scout and do some other work...saw plenty of greys in open water hanging with coots and bwt in the marsh...a few pintails and shovelers were mixed in there too. Our opener isn't until Nov 23 so there still may be time to get some more birds down here.
quack addict
deliriousII
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Moved two birds in our marsh this morning, both bluewings. But geese were starting to look much better around the camp.

Will be "interesting," but I think we'll be fine in the marsh once whatever's down gets shuffled.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Moved two birds in our marsh this morning, both bluewings. But geese were starting to look much better around the camp.

Will be "interesting," but I think we'll be fine in the marsh once whatever's down gets shuffled.

YES, it will.
Kind of like Christmas morning as a kid, only I'm hoping not to unwrap a box of dog poop. :lol3:
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Toledo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Pic of this mornings brown ducks hanging on the baby Dixie. Our overall numbers are down today. Less pintails and bluewings with a big increase in greenwings this morning. Found two concentrations of 1k-2k each. One was almost all greenwings and one mostly gadwall and whats left of the pintails. I stopped keeping numbers years back but figure I would keep up with it this year to see just what we bag before La west opens. Currently sitting at 90 mixed birds (averaging about 5 birds per hunter day) between me and my friends hunting central and east Texas. We have a total of 8 of us hitting the north wind in the morning and if the scouted birds hold we should add 48 more.

Toledo
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Toledo wrote:Pic of this mornings brown ducks hanging on the baby Dixie. Our overall numbers are down today. Less pintails and bluewings with a big increase in greenwings this morning. Found two concentrations of 1k-2k each. One was almost all greenwings and one mostly gadwall and whats left of the pintails. I stopped keeping numbers years back but figure I would keep up with it this year to see just what we bag before La west opens. Currently sitting at 90 mixed birds (averaging about 5 birds per hunter day) between me and my friends hunting central and east Texas. We have a total of 8 of us hitting the north wind in the morning and if the scouted birds hold we should add 48 more.

Nice strap of birds :thumbsup: Two more days and a wake up for us.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby jrodgers » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:05 pm

This is from my buddies marsh in Johnson's Bayou this morning. He said they are holding a lot of birds.
Attachments
image.jpg
jrodgers
hunter

Postby Toledo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:39 pm

Had four of us on public and five on private this morning. Everybody done before 8am and that includes passing on early teal. Lots of wigeon in the area. 54 for the morning and 144 on the season so far. Fairly normal first week of November with scouting and miles traveled paying off. Haven't sat in the same spot twice. Up to about 5.5 birds per hunter per hunt. Buddy Adam with some of the days birds-

more from today-

Toledo
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:46 am

That's nice.
Rick Hall
hunter

No birds in October!

Postby Assault » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:38 pm

The NWR I hunt has a good population! Went two Tuesdays ago to scout. All the slews were holding good water, good acorns, good cypress balls. Holding a good mix of woodies, teal, and mergansers. Saw 2 flocks of geese flying south. And YEA, I hunt flooded timber. Hoping to see some mallards come in this year! Had a lot of green heads fly by, but wouldn't come in! But last year at this time, the slews had maybe 2" of water. Water level is up to my waist right now.
If I c it in the air, it's coming down!
Assault
hunter

Previous

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting