BRANT THEY ARE HERE!!! BEWARE OF YOUR SHOT!!!

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

BRANT THEY ARE HERE!!! BEWARE OF YOUR SHOT!!!

Postby Lost Fish » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:06 pm

Was out in Paddilla bay this morning chasing quacker's and had 2 Brant :mad: making a pain of themselves the whole time.

Was kind of neat seeing them the first time working the decoys, but after makeing 3 more random passes into the decoys it was getting old.

Tried had to make them cacklers on the first pass they gave us but just couldn't get enough white into them to make it a shoot.

Must going to be a cold winter if they are already making an apperance this year. Didn't have any work the decoys till end of Nov last year.

So keep your eyes peeled for them.
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Re: BRANT THEY ARE HERE!!! BEWARE OF YOUR SHOT!!!

Postby kcidkcus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:34 pm

Really? I see them on lake Washington during the summer
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Professor Chaos » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:09 pm

That would be very rare to see during the summer. I'd like to see pics of that.
Believe Everything You Read On The Internet
Professor Chaos
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Professor Chaos wrote:That would be very rare to see during the summer. I'd like to see pics of that.

Really? Wouldn't have guess that, next time you drive over lake Washington take a look
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Professor Chaos » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:50 pm

seeing as i have spent a ton of time there in the summer and never seen a brant i would be shocked.
where are you seeing them? are you sure of your ID? :huh:
Professor Chaos
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Professor Chaos wrote:seeing as i have spent a ton of time there in the summer and never seen a brant i would be shocked.
where are you seeing them? are you sure of your ID? :huh:

Wow interesting... I have seen them on lake union as well. See them while crossing the bridges, As far as ID ing them, I lived on the east coast for numerous years the daily limit is 2 All season long and limited out on them LOTS of times (50+) I think I know what they look like...
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:49 pm

I would like to see them on fresh water. That would be a first for me, since they feed on kelp, sea weed and other salt critters. Possible cormorants?
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Tealer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:03 pm

h2ofowlr wrote:I would like to see them on fresh water. That would be a first for me, since they feed on kelp, sea weed and other salt critters. Possible cormorants?

I have seen them up at Longview on the Columbia. Big storms push them in to the river. Yes, I am quite sure on my ID skills.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby kcidkcus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:29 pm

h2ofowlr wrote:I would like to see them on fresh water. That would be a first for me, since they feed on kelp, sea weed and other salt critters. Possible cormorants?

I used to shoot the crap out of them on fresh water, they would come off of hudson bay and head south over my location
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Professor Chaos » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:21 pm

it wouldnt surprise me if you were looking at coots or cormorants and didnt know the difference. :eek:
Professor Chaos
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:35 pm

I know which group and where you're talking about LF. They've been there since before duck season even started.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Professor Chaos wrote:it wouldnt surprise me if you were looking at coots or cormorants and didnt know the difference. :eek:

Jeez... Strong words from someone that's all sideways about a couple lame brant in the summer... On fresh water not Far from the salt... Oh wow that's sooooo unbelievable... What's next Washington doesn't have grizzlys? Oh.... Wait after that... Wahington doesn't have wolves... Oh wait... Washington doesn't have carribou? Oh wait now... Washington doesn't have brants during the summer? Wow... Washington has a lame d*ck brant season what is it like 8 whole days in one county and 10 in the other?Wow... I have shot well over 100 brant in the 5 years I lived in the east... They are as dumb as a box of rocks and you couldn't pay me enough to eat them, I always gave them away.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:25 pm

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28888.html
Here is a link... I was in the southeast region, Odd they have a season over a fresh water only areas?! Holy crap im blown away... A brant on fresh water?! LOL
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Lost Fish » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:33 am

And now that everyone is having a good time gutting and cleaning each other today. The basic point of the tread was to let hunters know that there are a few Brant in the bay and wanting to decoy easy. This way no one shoots them, seeings how Chris has to count 5K of them and usally we only clean the number by a handfull. A couple of dead ones early can kill the season on the bay.
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting