Breathable waders dry rotting?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Breathable waders dry rotting?

Postby sharris » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:23 pm

My brother came through town last week and I took him out duck hunting with me. He wore my neoprene waders and I put on my spare set of hodgman wadelite stocking foot waders that almost never get worn (maybe 6 times in the past 6 years). When I was setting decoys I noticed they were leaking pretty badly in both legs. I took a look and there are no tears that I can find. But the inside of the pants has dark areas where the inner material is flaking off. Is that dryrot? If so are they junk or is there any good way to repair them.
sharris
hunter

Re: Breathable waders dry rotting?

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:31 pm

can you take a picture of the inside? sounds like the waterproof membrane is breaking down. Hodgeman is a low to mid range wader. the water proof membrane is a knock-off of gore-tex. All will eventually fail. most companies use 3,4 or more plys of the water proof membrane for wear....some of the cheaper ones don't.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby sharris » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:15 am

Thanks Inda. I'll bring my good camera home tonight and see if I can get a decent picture.
sharris
hunter

Postby sharris » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:46 pm

There are several areas like this on the inside of the pants (the outside is still intact). I have a feeling they are ready for the trash unless someone knows a good way to fix them.

sharris
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:51 pm

One thing I can tell you is that bug spray will eat the membrane. Depending on how large and numerous the areas are, you could try spraying plasti-dip on the inside to see it that works. Granted-those sprayed areas will no longer be breathable, but your waders will still be useable with the remaining breathable surface areas....

clean the area well with acetone then spray 2~3 coats of plasti-dip. maybe tape off the area before spraying...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:48 am

What's the recommended way to take care of Waders? Wash off at the car wash on the way home? Hang in a cool dry place? What about using the hair dryer when they get wet on the inside? Hanging from the boots? Read the directions?
AR Dave
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:44 am

Thanks Inda. The areas vary in size from less than a dime to bigger than a quarter. I'll try patching and see if I can get them waterproof again. Worst case scenario is I throw them away. It's just a bit surprising that they haven't held up better considering the minimal amount of use they've had. I can't remember if I had bugspray on and then put on waders...definitely something to remember for the future.

AR, they are supposed to be stored clean and dry indoors and hung up. I stored them clean and dry in my basement, but in their original factory box where they have been sitting since teal season 2009 (they didn't leak then).
sharris
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:17 pm

You got more time out of them than I ever do.. No I was asking for, specifically, the drying, after they get wet.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby sharris » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:20 am

I just turn them inside out for a day to dry. I did get a lot of years out of them but very few uses.
sharris
hunter

Postby talltimber » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:52 am

I hang mine over the dryer daily during season. Only time I take the dryer out from under them is to hang other boots on to dry temporarily.
talltimber
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum