Hunting Wisconsin's Pool 9

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Hunting Wisconsin's Pool 9

Postby Mr. Hollywood » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi everyone,

Some friends and I are heading to the Mississippi River to hunt Pool 9 in Wisconsin; going in mid November. I had a few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Where should we set up for divers out there? I hunt divers around Wisconsin, but I've only been on Pool 9 once about 5 years ago through a guide. Is it wise to hunt along the eastern side of the pool with Lake Winneshiek out front (facing Wisconsin/Ferryville)? That would be my assumption, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If not there, then where? I know the wind plays a factor as well.

2) I am running a 16 x 54 (I think that's the width) Go-Devil flat bottom with a 23 horse longtail. I know that it can get pretty nasty out there at times, but is that sufficient? We will have 3 guys, a dog, probably around 130 decoys, plus our personal gear. We should be under the weight specifications of the boat. I've had it out on some pretty rough stuff, and it handles well. How long is an average boat ride (roughly) from the Highway 82 landing to the lake?

3) The islands: what is the water like around them? As I recall, there was no current and it was pretty shallow as you're out of the main channel.

4) I've been reading that you should expect to get out there early due to the competition. How early is early? 2 am? 3 am?

5) Since I'm not too familiar with the river, we're going out in the afternoon the first day we get there in order to get our bearings. Is it fairly simple to follow the channel, or would you recommend a gps?

6) Is there anywhere in Pool 9 you CAN'T hunt? From what I understand, it is in the Upper Mississippi Wildlife and Fish Refuge, so I would think there are areas you cannot hunt. I could be wrong, though.

I guess that is more than a few questions. I may think of more. Again, any help would be great. Thanks!
Mr. Hollywood
Newb

Re: Hunting Wisconsin's Pool 9

Postby koonce727 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Mr. Hollywood wrote:Hi everyone,

Some friends and I are heading to the Mississippi River to hunt Pool 9 in Wisconsin; going in mid November. I had a few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Where should we set up for divers out there? I hunt divers around Wisconsin, but I've only been on Pool 9 once about 5 years ago through a guide. Is it wise to hunt along the eastern side of the pool with Lake Winneshiek out front (facing Wisconsin/Ferryville)? That would be my assumption, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If not there, then where? I know the wind plays a factor as well.

Get out there and scout, I hunt pool nine on a regular basis and I sure wont tell somewhere where to go, that's part of this sport, get out and look.

2) I am running a 16 x 54 (I think that's the width) Go-Devil flat bottom with a 23 horse longtail. I know that it can get pretty nasty out there at times, but is that sufficient? We will have 3 guys, a dog, probably around 130 decoys, plus our personal gear. We should be under the weight specifications of the boat. I've had it out on some pretty rough stuff, and it handles well. How long is an average boat ride (roughly) from the Highway 82 landing to the lake?

Boat will due fine as long as the wind stay under that 15mph rang, if it picks up more than that, well she can get nasty out there dependent up wind speed and direction, there are also a good number of wing damns just inches under the water so be careful where your going. As far as boat ride goes it depends on where your going as far as how long it will take.

3) The islands: what is the water like around them? As I recall, there was no current and it was pretty shallow as you're out of the main channel.

Go spend a morning scouting

4) I've been reading that you should expect to get out there early due to the competition. How early is early? 2 am? 3 am?

If we told you when we launched then you could potentially beat us there, I say your good at 5 am.

5) Since I'm not too familiar with the river, we're going out in the afternoon the first day we get there in order to get our bearings. Is it fairly simple to follow the channel, or would you recommend a gps?

I would take a gps and mark way points to areas you think look good and also mark logs/ stumps that are sticking up or wing damns, Pool 9 is a mine field if you don't know where your going. The gps will also make your life much easier come the next morning

6) Is there anywhere in Pool 9 you CAN'T hunt? From what I understand, it is in the Upper Mississippi Wildlife and Fish Refuge, so I would think there are areas you cannot hunt. I could be wrong, though.

South by lynxville is the refuge. I suggest you google upper Mississippi wildlife refuge, go on there site and look over there maps, that will show you where you can and cannot hunt

I guess that is more than a few questions. I may think of more. Again, any help would be great. Thanks!
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby Mr. Hollywood » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Thanks for the info. I realize that scouting is important, but it's hard to do when you're in school and live over two hours away. Wasn't looking for specifics; just general areas.
Mr. Hollywood
Newb

Postby koonce727 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:16 pm

That's what everyone says. I'm not looking for your spot just the general area. Pool nine is plenty general enough after that your on your own .Go get after it.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:25 am

He's not kidding about the stumps too. They show up in the weirdest places.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby DKMF » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:57 pm

A 16 foot boat with three guys a dog and gear. That's a little hairy if you ask me. Stay away from big water on the windy days.
DKMF
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:36 am

Last post is true. We've taken waves over the bow in a 16 ft with 2 guys and full gear. The wind was only blowing about 12 mph but in the perfect direction to makes some 18"-24" waves crash over us. We were all right angling through them but still a little hairy.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting