Pointe Mouillee draw units

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

Pointe Mouillee draw units

Postby MallardMan5 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:55 am

Has anyone ever hunted the draw units (Nelson and Long Pond) at Pointe Mouillee? Is it worth it to go to the draw? I've hunted
the Humpheries and Vermit units with some success but was wondering how the managed areas are, especially the Nelson Unit. Thanks
MallardMan5
hunter

Re: Pointe Mouillee draw units

Postby mproffitt57 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:34 am

I hunt the Point all the time. The managed units can be very good. I have had some real success in there. Its a different style of hunting because your packing everything in on your back with bikes but its good stuff.
mproffitt57
hunter

Postby MallardMan5 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:16 pm

So they don't let you take your boat into the managed units? Have you had any luck out there yet this year? Thinking about trying the draw on Sunday.
MallardMan5
hunter

Postby mproffitt57 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:09 am

You can get your boat in there if you launch from the DNR office and motor over there.. Rollers are old but work., Just keep an eye on the wind because if it blows hard out of the west that water in the bay will blow out and your boat will be stuck in the managed units until it comes back in.
mproffitt57
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting