Moses Lake Potholes

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Moses Lake Potholes

Postby mtndewtime » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:56 am

Looking to make trip to Potholes in next week. Anyone having success there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
mtndewtime
hunter

Re: Moses Lake Potholes

Postby Professor Chaos » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:38 am

all you need to do is look at the weather. its tough right now
Believe Everything You Read On The Internet
Professor Chaos
hunter

Postby mtndewtime » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:18 am

Yep. Figured weather was not helping.

mtndewtime
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:33 am

All the ducks are at nisqually
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby mtndewtime » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Awesome. Tides are good this week but fog is thick.

mtndewtime
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:52 pm

Fog is good there!
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Tool-Man » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Go East :beer:
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Join WWA to save the sport. Ask me about it. http://www.waduck.org
Tool-Man
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:09 pm

REALLY slow over here. Need some weather bad

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
ohtajj
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:40 pm

ohtajj wrote:REALLY slow over here. Need some weather bad

X2 on that, it's been deadsville. Birds moved out, no new ones moved in. At least not in my area.
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby quackwhacker1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Noticed a pretty good flight of geese coming in and hitting the corn south of Moses Lake. No ducks to speak of though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
quackwhacker1
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:08 pm

I saw 2 mallards landing moses lake on my way home from work tonight. That's the most I've seen since the opener. Pretty good indicator of how many birds are around right now. There are a few geese around but not even many of those yet

ohtajj
hunter

Postby AKPirate » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:31 pm

For what it's worth. Alaska has had unseasonably warm weather. The pineapple express has been from Japan straight to the Bering Sea/Alaska coast for the last several weeks. Just had a good frost last night but supposed to go back over freezing and rain/wind with this next storm. We have seen large flocks of geese bunched up and moving south. You should start seeing them soon guys but we are kicking them out of here late this year.
AKPirate
hunter

Postby Hoof-Hearted » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:57 am

I talk to a pretty fair number of folks who run or own hunting clubs in E WA and the standard report is a much smaller local population than expected or witnessed in a long time. To boot the weather conditions haven't moved birds around and that's not predicted to change soon.

There is a typical migration that will begin to trickel in here due to length of day starting first of Nov and then lesser geese will start a much more pronounced migration around the 10th-15th of Nov.

All in all I would expect very poor hunting around here until probably around Thanksgiving.
Depression is just anger without enthusiasm
Hoof-Hearted
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:10 am

Who Farted wrote:I talk to a pretty fair number of folks who run or own hunting clubs in E WA and the standard report is a much smaller local population than expected or witnessed in a long time. To boot the weather conditions haven't moved birds around and that's not predicted to change soon.

There is a typical migration that will begin to trickel in here due to length of day starting first of Nov and then lesser geese will start a much more pronounced migration around the 10th-15th of Nov.

All in all I would expect very poor hunting around here until probably around Thanksgiving.

Perfect! That's when I plan to be there!

Tool-Man
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:35 am

Tool-Man wrote:
Who Farted wrote:I talk to a pretty fair number of folks who run or own hunting clubs in E WA and the standard report is a much smaller local population than expected or witnessed in a long time. To boot the weather conditions haven't moved birds around and that's not predicted to change soon.

I heard that everything will be frozen up by then this year. Everybody better head west:?

ohtajj
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:55 am

ohtajj wrote:
Tool-Man wrote:

I heard that everything will be frozen up by then this year. Everybody better head west:?

You wish. :lol:

Tool-Man
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:11 pm

Tool-Man wrote:
ohtajj wrote:
Tool-Man wrote:

You wish. :lol:

Nah, as long as you're not "one of those guys" you know the kind who
shoots not 1 but 2 seagulls thinking that they are ducks we will be fine. Yes I actually witnessed that this season :shock:
There is plenty of room out there, shoot, we could even hook up if you don't have people you're already going with.

ohtajj
hunter

Postby Tool-Man » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:22 pm

I just know I won't be able to get after the ducks until then.

But I might just take you up on that.

Tool-Man
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:41 pm

Tool-Man wrote:I just know I won't be able to get after the ducks until then.

But I might just take you up on that.

Thanksgiving time can be a little tuff with work and family stuff, but if it works out id be more than happy for you to grab a spot. PM me when the time comes and we will see what we can swing

ohtajj
hunter

Postby mtndewtime » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:24 pm

Hunted Thursday and today against the consensus of most on this thread. Turns out your telling the truth!:)

Got a really nice tan. Not a lot of water in the potholes but appears its on the rise.

Saw several flocks of geese and a small amount of ducks. Fog was thick in am till around 9 or 10. After and hour or so birds didn't move much at all.

Not all lost found some areas new to me and met some local duck hunters that gave me good pointers and info.

Thanks for your help

mtndewtime
hunter

Postby Duckwise » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:54 pm

I hunt the potholes 2 or 3 days a week. It is very slow. This weather is not helping and we started out with fewer birds and no new ones yet. You can still kill some birds but it is slow going little flight first hour or so then next to nothing. Hunted 4 hours this morning to kill 5.
Duckwise
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting