Sunny skies and 70 degrees!!

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Sunny skies and 70 degrees!!

Postby Webfootslayer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:34 am

So has this latest weather pattern affected anyone elses hunting?Two weeks ago was classic waterfowling weather for us wind rain and birds bouncing around all over the place.The last week of sunshine and warmer than normal temps have definately changed the patterns of the birds around here.Thier feeding habits have been changing about as much as the wind thats for sure and this is the first year I've ever seen mallards feeding in alfalfa fields-strange to say the least.The geese will hit the wheat one day then off to alfalfa or orchard grass the next definately frustrating to say the least.
I have been seeing new signs of the migration starting with wigeon and some various divers starting to show but this is definately not normal mid Oct weather.
What have you noticed and how has it changed your strategies for hunting? I've just decided to get under the main flight paths when possible and hope for the best until wearing shorts and sun block for hunting has come to an end.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Re: Sunny skies and 70 degrees!!

Postby Tealer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:09 pm

My first real hunt of the year will be tomorrow, been taking new guys and ladies. The weather has slowed down the killing but not the hunting. It will get better I hope. There are so many geese around.....
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby duckstoppa » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:47 pm

I've done pretty good this year
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:17 pm

duckstoppa wrote:I've done pretty good this year

I'm not as cool as you.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby jcmontgo » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:58 pm

The weather over on the east side of the rockies where I live says the jet stream is supposed to drop over us here in central Montana then fall back towards Oregon and Washington. We are looking at single digit lows by next week. The first group of snow geese have arrived here as well. I think you guys should be due for at least a little push of birds on your side of the state Alex. Not sure where the westside of OR gets most of their migrants from though.
Season bird totals are for those who cannot see the forest for the trees. Count your good days, not your ducks.
"I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often"-Teddy Roosevelt
jcmontgo
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:10 am

jcmontgo wrote:The weather over on the east side of the rockies where I live says the jet stream is supposed to drop over us here in central Montana then fall back towards Oregon and Washington. We are looking at single digit lows by next week. The first group of snow geese have arrived here as well. I think you guys should be due for at least a little push of birds on your side of the state Alex. Not sure where the westside of OR gets most of their migrants from though.

Oh yeah we are getting our calendar push of young ducks and hens they came early this year and are starting to see signs that its starting.I was out scouting yesterday and noticed some pintails & what looked like a euarsian widgeon on the pond you always wanted to hunt that i now have had access to the last 2 years by Deans place.Gonna go in today and see if it is.
the divers and wigeon are trickling in.
Kinda hard to get into duck hunting with 40° temperature changes going on just hope its short lived.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting