Call question

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Re: Call question

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Went from asking advice to talking smack. This might last a few pages. :grooving:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:58 pm
Location: Illinois


Re: Call question

Postby supr87gt » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:47 pm

Azarnazar wrote:Well arent you just a gentleman mr.gt also kinda funny you cry about all the hunters in the area like you own the place but u dont mind not shooting birds???? Soooooo whats with all the bitchin do you just not like seeing other hunters who also may have a kid or new hunter with them?



You're confused. I hate to see the idiots sky busting birds. Even more so when they are teaching the kids to do it. Should I encourage every "hunter" in the area to go out and shoot at every bird within 100 yds?

I made my kid pass on the 4-5 ducks at the edge of the decoy spread last weekend because I didn't want him to shoot them if he couldn't kill them. He was allowed to shoot the duck 10 yds from the boat. Granted he only ended up with 1 but he didn't cripple 5 others. It's a good lesson that a lot of people out there should learn or have been taught.
supr87gt
hunter
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:26 am
Location: Herscher, IL

Re: Call question

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:48 pm

supr87gt wrote:
Azarnazar wrote:Well arent you just a gentleman mr.gt also kinda funny you cry about all the hunters in the area like you own the place but u dont mind not shooting birds???? Soooooo whats with all the bitchin do you just not like seeing other hunters who also may have a kid or new hunter with them?



You're confused. I hate to see the idiots sky busting birds. Even more so when they are teaching the kids to do it. Should I encourage every "hunter" in the area to go out and shoot at every bird within 100 yds?

I made my kid pass on the 4-5 ducks at the edge of the decoy spread last weekend because I didn't want him to shoot them if he couldn't kill them. He was allowed to shoot the duck 10 yds from the boat. Granted he only ended up with 1 but he didn't cripple 5 others. It's a good lesson that a lot of people out there should learn or have been taught.

:thumbsup:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:58 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Call question

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:55 pm

x2. :thumbsup: :grooving: :clapping: I hate losing birds. The biggest part I dislike the most.
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Call question

Postby Azarnazar » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Talking smack marginal. I have been watching this forum for sometime and when anything is brought up about braidwood spr87gt has to act like hes king ****. So i was just curious if he was as high and mighty as he thinks he is. And with responses like i dont count birds i think its quite clear. As far as the asking advice i knew if i said i shoot birds at 40 yds he would jump all over it calling me a skybuster and what have you. So next time you are in your pit blowing you party horn watching the birds fly over you i hope you do think of me because i will be on the other end of their flight aka the X
Azarnazar
hunter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Re: Call question

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Azarnazar wrote:Talking smack marginal. I have been watching this forum for sometime and when anything is brought up about braidwood spr87gt has to act like hes king ****. So i was just curious if he was as high and mighty as he thinks he is. And with responses like i dont count birds i think its quite clear. As far as the asking advice i knew if i said i shoot birds at 40 yds he would jump all over it calling me a skybuster and what have you. So next time you are in your pit blowing you party horn watching the birds fly over you i hope you do think of me because i will be on the other end of their flight aka the X

So who are you blowing? :huh:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:58 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Call question

Postby Azarnazar » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Very original
Azarnazar
hunter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Re: Call question

Postby Azarnazar » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Do call brands even matter the majority of guts used today are modified k&h
Azarnazar
hunter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Re: Call question

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Azarnazar wrote:Do call brands even matter the majority of guts used today are modified k&h

Noted. :thumbsup:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:58 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Call question

Postby rookielabtrainer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Back to the call ? Ladies. No, call brands do not matter, but usually every brand of call blows a little different. Example my buddy says my chatter sounds like contest quality on my daisy cutter and shot caller but I cant even quack on any foiles call. I've proven myself many times with The Heavy but cant do crap with a pro mag. Also don't buy cheap calls, once u buy a quality call you will never go back.
rookielabtrainer
hunter
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: Call question

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:19 pm

rookielabtrainer wrote:Back to the call ? Ladies. No, call brands do not matter, but usually every brand of call blows a little different. Example my buddy says my chatter sounds like contest quality on my daisy cutter and shot caller but I cant even quack on any foiles call. I've proven myself many times with The Heavy but cant do crap with a pro mag. Also don't buy cheap calls, once u buy a quality call you will never go back.

Let me know when you buy a quality call,lady. :wink:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:58 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Call question

Postby rookielabtrainer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:16 pm

I'll let ur mom try it first, I hope shes not a spitter

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
rookielabtrainer
hunter
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: Call question

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 am

rookielabtrainer wrote:I'll let ur mom try it first, I hope shes not a spitter

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2



Seriously? A shot at his Mom?

Wow.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
hunter
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Call question

Postby asmythe32 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:52 am

This thread has gone downhill fast. OP if you come on here looking for help and act like a tool people are gonna jack you up. Simple as that. As for everyone else I don't know you but I have read enough posts to know I would share a blind with any of you. Hell if aunt Betty says you are a cool dude I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with you. Let me know if anyone wants to try to arrange a group hunt this year. I have no ground but we could get a bunch together and hunt a public hole somewhere.
User avatar
asmythe32
hunter
 
Posts: 1120
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:31 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Call question

Postby supr87gt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:10 am

Azarnazar wrote:Talking smack marginal. I have been watching this forum for sometime and when anything is brought up about braidwood spr87gt has to act like hes king ****. So i was just curious if he was as high and mighty as he thinks he is. And with responses like i dont count birds i think its quite clear. As far as the asking advice i knew if i said i shoot birds at 40 yds he would jump all over it calling me a skybuster and what have you. So next time you are in your pit blowing you party horn watching the birds fly over you i hope you do think of me because i will be on the other end of their flight aka the X



The X is in your mommy and daddy's basement? Which is clearly where you spend most of you time. Get out from behind the Internet and do something.
supr87gt
hunter
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:26 am
Location: Herscher, IL

Re: Call question

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:45 am

asmythe32 wrote:This thread has gone downhill fast. OP if you come on here looking for help and act like a tool people are gonna jack you up. Simple as that. As for everyone else I don't know you but I have read enough posts to know I would share a blind with any of you. Hell if aunt Betty says you are a cool dude I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with you. Let me know if anyone wants to try to arrange a group hunt this year. I have no ground but we could get a bunch together and hunt a public hole somewhere.


Good morning gentlemen. It has went down hill. Problem is people create an account, ask for information and pop an attitude right away when a reply is disliked. The reason most of us are still here is because we brush off the junk most of the time and know not to reply. On the flip side, at least we have activity on the IL forum.

We should arrange a group hunt. I was thinking last night we should have a sticky partner up thread in the IL forum. Matter of fact I should make one and see how it goes.

New boots take note. Gimmes can't be given to every single boot that asks. I have PMed to almost every new boot that is asking for help. The reason we all were there at one point and I wish someone was willing to lend me a hand. I ask a few questions and rarely get replied to. Usually I will mention it isn't a club hunt and sweat is mandatory. I never receive a reply back. Feelin' Fowl will attest as he has shown me even more physical labor techniques to kill some ducks. I have lost two pounds since Saturday. You have to put in effort in besides typing on the keyboard. Pounding the pavement is the foundation of starting. You must put the time in. I ask how scouting is going or gaining permission. Most answers are I don't have the time or I tried once and was told no. Granted I learned a lesson yesterday morning hunting public land because I never prepared for it. Bottom line if you don't have the time hire a guide and support their business. Forum members aren't a free guide service.
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Call question

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 am

FF says, "You gotta want it!"
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
hunter
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Call question

Postby Azarnazar » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:27 am

What is it you want me to do?
Azarnazar
hunter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Re: Call question

Postby supr87gt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:49 am

Azarnazar wrote:What is it you want me to do?



Use study hall to finish your homework instead of browsing DHC.com.
supr87gt
hunter
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:26 am
Location: Herscher, IL

Re: Call question

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:06 am

Azarnazar wrote:What is it you want me to do?


As in taking you out? Scout birds and report back. Then, knock for permission nearby. Look! You might not even need a helping hand after all. Someone will say yes. You can't stop after the first no.

The fact is there is a wealth of information about waterfowling etiquette people already shared. You follow a strict etiquette then you will be fine.
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: Call question

Postby Azarnazar » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:33 am

And its ok to browse on company time? I realize that kk i do plenty of scouting and have access to lots of properties. Scouting is #1 in my books constantly finding new areas/new uneducated birds
Azarnazar
hunter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Re: Call question

Postby qckhd » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 pm

So this post started off with a question about calling and why birds won't finish and has gotten off the subject... Here is my .02 worth.... Practice during the off season and keep practicing! I have been doing this waterfowl thing for 17yrs and although I am confident in my ability to call and finish birds I am by no means an expert nor do I know every trick to calling but I do practice all the time trying to learn and figure out different techniques or sounds I hear others do... I have never been shy about asking for help on learning how to be more successful in calling, find someone who understands how you call and your technique (usually the person that made the call) and I am sure they would be more than willing to help you out! Like I said before if the birds are not finishing try using softer clucks and murmurs when they are closing in.. The best analogy is KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid....
qckhd
hunter
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Call question

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:04 pm

The real thing to working birds with a call, is to know when to call, and what is a callable bird. I hunt a lot of high pressure areas. I see people blow at every bird that flies within a mile. Doesn't matter where the bird is, they call at it. If there is any wind, I only call at birds that are down wind of me. It is a waste of time and breath to try otherwise. Well, unless they are pretty close. Then it's just a hut or two, see what they do.

If I get a bird downwind, I'll hit them with a medium speed cadence. If I turn them, and they don't lock up, but do a flyby, and they are quiet. I'll let them fly past the spread, get past the spread upwind, then hit them again. If they are interested, they will swing. Once they start back again, I shut up. Birds land into the wind, so they will have to get back down wind. After they flyby, on the way back through, I'm quiet. I don't want to spook them, or flare them with movement. When I think they are far enough down wind, I hit them pretty hard to get them to swing into the wind. Once they start coming, repeat. If they are talking to me, I answer while they are checking the spread out. Being very careful not to give myself away. The noise gives them a place to look. I want them looking at decoys not where the sound is coming from.

I won't bother calling at a bird that is more than 400 yards away. They have somewhere else in mind. The chance of you pulling them off their course, is low. Like I said before, only call at birds that are more or less down wind. We shot five geese yesterday with a flag. Never hit them with the call. They were coming, we let them.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
User avatar
jaysweet3
hunter
 
Posts: 8193
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 am
Location: N. Illinois

Re: Call question

Postby Cujo1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:55 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:The real thing to working birds with a call, is to know when to call, and what is a callable bird. I hunt a lot of high pressure areas. I see people blow at every bird that flies within a mile. Doesn't matter where the bird is, they call at it. If there is any wind, I only call at birds that are down wind of me. It is a waste of time and breath to try otherwise. Well, unless they are pretty close. Then it's just a hut or two, see what they do.

If I get a bird downwind, I'll hit them with a medium speed cadence. If I turn them, and they don't lock up, but do a flyby, and they are quiet. I'll let them fly past the spread, get past the spread upwind, then hit them again. If they are interested, they will swing. Once they start back again, I shut up. Birds land into the wind, so they will have to get back down wind. After they flyby, on the way back through, I'm quiet. I don't want to spook them, or flare them with movement. When I think they are far enough down wind, I hit them pretty hard to get them to swing into the wind. Once they start coming, repeat. If they are talking to me, I answer while they are checking the spread out. Being very careful not to give myself away. The noise gives them a place to look. I want them looking at decoys not where the sound is coming from.

I won't bother calling at a bird that is more than 400 yards away. They have somewhere else in mind. The chance of you pulling them off their course, is low. Like I said before, only call at birds that are more or less down wind. We shot five geese yesterday with a flag. Never hit them with the call. They were coming, we let them.


X2, some guys try way to hard to scare birds off that are already comitted :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!


bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
User avatar
Cujo1
hunter
 
Posts: 6541
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:52 pm
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: Call question

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:07 pm

rookielabtrainer wrote:I'll let ur mom try it first, I hope shes not a spitter

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

:clapping: It's called karma, class act brother.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:58 pm
Location: Illinois

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests