Season Prep

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Season Prep

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:18 pm

With the season only a month away I still have a hundred things that need to be done. Time and money have become a problem completing everything though. Still need to:

Repair trailer bunks
String some new decoys in storage
Buy extra rope for long lines to be strung
Put the blind frame on the boat
Get the blind grass attached
Paint some raffia
Buy a WMA permit
and many other things that I cant think of
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Re: Season Prep

Postby dogyak » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:13 pm

I feel your pain :bow:
dogyak
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:23 pm

I hear you too, I tried my best to avoid the whole scramble the last few days before season and get everything ready deal , and I still have to put a carb on my go devil and fence and brush my duck blinds. Got my decoys ready the other night. It I'm sure I'll still be behind the week before season
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:30 pm

SouthernWingsAssaultTeam wrote:I hear you too, I tried my best to avoid the whole scramble the last few days before season and get everything ready deal , and I still have to put a carb on my go devil and fence and brush my duck blinds. Got my decoys ready the other night. It I'm sure I'll still be behind the week before season

I can guarantee I won't be ready
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby FNBBear » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:38 am

I was getting stuff ready last night and realize I have misplaced my waders! To be honest I am so organized with my duck hunting stuff all I can figure is somebody grabbed them when I wasn't looking. At least it is an easy problem to fix, just wasn't planning on having to purchase new waders this season. Guess the new deeks will have to wait.
FNBBear
hunter

Postby c f wingshooter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Putting the mother ducker in the water this weekend, test and tune. Trailer tune up as well. All other goodies have been looked at and stand ready.
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby Coonrod » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:03 am

c f **** **** wrote:Putting the mother ducker in the water this weekend, test and tune. Trailer tune up as well. All other goodies have been looked at and stand ready.

Thanks that reminds me it's time to pack the bearings again...
Didn't you say you have a longtail on the boat?
Coonrod
hunter

Postby c f wingshooter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Yes I do. It is from a small company that builds one of a kind custom mud motors. I doubt anyone has ever heard of them, FRAKENMOTOR. Just kidding, I built a long tail and it works fine. It pushes the boat with two fat guys and gear along at a very brisk 8 mph and uses very little fuel.
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:46 pm

Coonrod wrote:
c f **** **** wrote:Putting the mother ducker in the water this weekend, test and tune. Trailer tune up as well. All other goodies have been looked at and stand ready.

Thanks that reminds me it's time to pack the bearings again...
Didn't you say you have a longtail on the boat?

I put new bearings on one end of the axle yesterday, but I couldnt get the other lugs to budge.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Ajaxian » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:25 pm

I finished building my Thai mud motor last month. All i have left to do is put a blind on the boat and some aesthetics with the wiring. Then figure out where I'll be for the opener... scouting, scouting, scouting.
Ajaxian
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Lot been getting done here. Finished my blind frame all I have to do is throw on the grass. Washed the boat out and killed a million fire ants with spectracide that had found their way into my hatch. No survivors. Started sanding and painting my motor also. I feel so accomplished this week

Sent from my iPhone3 using Tapatalk 28

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:54 pm

When we all thought we had everything ready to go and that 1st morning of the season setting up at the site we all said "OH CRAP" I forgot about that . We all been there . LOL . Good luck too all next week , the fun begins :yes:
dogyak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:03 pm

dogyak wrote:When we all thought we had everything ready to go and that 1st morning of the season setting up at the site we all said "OH CRAP" I forgot about that . We all been there . LOL . Good luck too all next week , the fun begins :yes:

Actually its two weeks.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby c f wingshooter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:10 pm

TM if youhave not got the lug nuts to budge yet try a very regular diet of pb blaster for a few days. Follow up with an impact gun if you have one. If no access to an impact try hitting lug wrench tool with hammer. Then when all else fails break out the heat. Try to heat just your lug nuts, they may expand and back off. Ater all that work to get them off try putting some type of thead protector on the studs. I have used paste car wax for many years and works just fine. I have also used never sieze. One of my rituals is breaking all lugs loose at the start of the season in the driveway. Way easier to fix at home vs the side of the road at 4 am. Will update water test Saturday.
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:29 pm

c f **** **** wrote:TM if youhave not got the lug nuts to budge yet try a very regular diet of pb blaster for a few days. Follow up with an impact gun if you have one. If no access to an impact try hitting lug wrench tool with hammer. Then when all else fails break out the heat. Try to heat just your lug nuts, they may expand and back off. Ater all that work to get them off try putting some type of thead protector on the studs. I have used paste car wax for many years and works just fine. I have also used never sieze. One of my rituals is breaking all lugs loose at the start of the season in the driveway. Way easier to fix at home vs the side of the road at 4 am. Will update water test Saturday.

Thanks for the advice. I have to buy new wheels for both sides. Both of them are all rust and the bolts have just welded themselves into the rim with rust.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby c f wingshooter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:12 pm

TM I feel your pain. Today was the day for the shake down run in the water. After freeing the mother ducker from the mud, I found two flat tires. It all started with a trailer lock that had to get beat off with a sledge hammer, large amounts of blaster did not help. One empty bottle of slime latter and I had two decent tires out of three. Now for the bad news, floor may be completely rotten. Got side tracked at the bad floor by a plumber with more bad news about my issue with the plumbing in my house. Back to the floor, after some investigation it may be able to be repaired, maybe. If it all goes to crap I can always use the jon boat, just not nearly as cool as the 1968 Cacci Craft. All camoed out with a home made clam shell blind and camo tank tarp with pieces of fake christmas tree branches for cover. Tomorrow is another day, hope it goes a little better than today.
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby FSUDuck » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Did some scouting this week. Getting excited. Hope to continue the scouting tomorrow morning. You cant ever do enough scouting.
FSUDuck
hunter

Postby c f wingshooter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Good news, I can patch the floor with a piece of plywwood. Now just have to secure long tail motor for trailering. Anyone know the max length an object can overhang the rear edge of a boat?
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:10 am

c f **** **** wrote:Good news, I can patch the floor with a piece of plywwood. Now just have to secure long tail motor for trailering. Anyone know the max length an object can overhang the rear edge of a boat?

I think it's 6ft but don't quote me. Get a orange ribbon or flag to tie on the tail though.

Sent from my iPhone3 using Tapatalk 28

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Its 4'. You must have a RED flag at least one foot square.

FS 316.228
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby c f wingshooter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks for the info, the tail shaft is longer than 4 feet and i have a flag for it. I may have to make some changes.
c f wingshooter
hunter

Postby dogyak » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:18 pm

c f **** **** wrote:Thanks for the info, the tail shaft is longer than 4 feet and i have a flag for it. I may have to make some changes.

I turn the motor backwards with the tiller handle hanging out back . Is yours a different type where it can't turn 360 degrees .
dogyak
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Never bothered to put anything on the tail... Had cops behind me and never had anything said. Then again I have a 35 and it sits at such an angle that you would have to be in a large truck for it to be a hazard
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:24 am

c f **** **** wrote:Thanks for the info, the tail shaft is longer than 4 feet and i have a flag for it. I may have to make some changes.

It can stick out farther than 4', it simply must have a red flag. anything under 4' does not require flagging.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:25 am

quackhunter99 wrote:Never bothered to put anything on the tail... Had cops behind me and never had anything said. Then again I have a 35 and it sits at such an angle that you would have to be in a large truck for it to be a hazard

Doesn't mean fhp won't pull you and cite you tomorrow. My uncle got cited for this very thing a month ago. He had an orange flag too. Trooper said it had to be red and 12"x12". Press hard five copies.

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Next

Return to Florida Duck Hunting