Defining the landing zone

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Defining the landing zone

Postby BigJeff » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Working on my spreads and wondering about size and and definition of the landing zone. I have had some issues with birds finishing or birds landing where I don't want them. At first it was a matter of making sure the wind was right but last few times I think I was crowding the landing zone. I had it about 10-15 yards open between two blobs of ducks. Wondering if that is enough or should I be making straighter lines in the landing zone? :beer:
BigJeff
hunter

Re: Defining the landing zone

Postby Trent_Rivers » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:40 am

This is speculation here but many times I've had many a mallard light at the edge of my spread despite how uncrowned the hole is. The teal and shovelers are another story. But I'm thinking this year I will just stack my decoys close so that the edge of my spread is easily in range. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Re: Defining the landing zone

Postby greenster » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:33 pm

If duck's are going to land where they are comfortable landing. One superior technique is learning how to call to and set-up the lead duck. Don't worry about any other duck's but that one. I Could really go on all day about how to do this. what comes to mind is a Really small timber hole I have, If the duck's are not set-up correctly they will just circle until they get bored. Thinking of another BIG hole I hunt. They really have no pattern to where they land, Except they all seem to like one side or the other day by day and no particular pattern, I just start in middle and move myself accordingly. There are some other things you can do.. IE use your terrain of geographical features IE: Thick brush, Tree's ETC as a boundary and use a close packed wad of decoys as a false boundary.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting