Lightweight decoys- Featherflex, Deeks, or something else?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Lightweight decoys- Featherflex, Deeks, or something else?

Postby sigpi906 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:47 am

I'm looking for a couple of dozen very lightweight decoys. The two I listed are the only types I know of. What are y'all's experiences with these and/or suggestions.
I was told people wouldn't take me seriously without a signature.
sigpi906
hunter

Re: Lightweight decoys- Featherflex, Deeks, or something els

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Just ordered and received a Sportplast foldable floating goose decoy. It seems legit, just need to hunt over it. GO to Knutsons decoys and you can order single decoys that way you dont waste a bunch of cash on a full dozen. Sportplast has several different species of full bodies and floaters that fold up.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby reconcoupe » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:23 pm

I use the Cherokee Sport Fusion and Featherlite series. I have 4 1/2 dozen... I like them and usually don't have a problem with getting birds to lock up wings.

They were used the almost every weekend during the 12-13 season. I'm down to 3.9 dozen, between holes from being shot, plastic ripped from throwing them (weight rips the plastic connector), and random holes and leaks, but most of them can be patched, I'm just half lazy.

Pro's
4 dozen fit into an army duffel bag
Moderately price, specially after the season is over
For inflatables or light they still hold up decently (for reference, as a kid and teenager we hunted over deeks brand decoys my dad owned)
Don't require a lot of weight to keep them in place
I think they move nicely even with little breeze
Plenty of room left in the boat
No clanking
Compared to Deeks they don't deflate or sink in rough water...Deeks tend to no work well on windy days or rough water
Even deflated they float

Cons
Not as sturdy as normal decoys
4 dozen in a duffel is still heavy as ****
Time spent inflating and deflating sucks, but we've got it down pretty quick...I blow or deflate, wife wraps weight and string around decoys head and packs....Cold hands also suck.
Don't throw well

Not a lot of cons, but I'm telling you know they won't be decoys you will have for 10 years. But I still like them. I spent all of the 12 season walking to my duck blind. This is the first year I've had a boat and I still find it nice having so much room in the boat with 4 dz decoys.
reconcoupe
hunter

Postby fireman1293 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:13 pm

I use DEEKS, have had great luck with them. I rig them with 1 1/2 oz weights so that I can carry several in my Tanglefree water fowler backpack. I think I bought around 4 dozen, you can call them and by seconds a lot cheaper. They work great for movement and I know that they look goofy but I've killed late season birds over them several times. The key to hunting is hiding and movement in your spread. By the time that ducks can tell the difference you should be shooting.

FYI- They don't work good in a current such as a lake with waves. They will tip over and fill with water. Small streams,rivers and marshes you can't beat them for adding movement. The slightest wind blows them around.

Good luck
fireman1293
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Look for some used Drake decoys. I flocked and painted some for a guy and was very impressed with them. They'er small, and 2 dozen wouldn't weigh much.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby sigpi906 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I found a set of feather flex on ebay I snatched up... Just looking for 12 more. I'll keep my options open with y'all's suggs
I was told people wouldn't take me seriously without a signature.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby John Duck » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:34 pm

I make ultralight wood decoys, but very expensive to buy as they take so long to make. The best and lightest by far plastic is Flambeau water-keel.
John Duck
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum