chasin' divers

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

chasin' divers

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Anyone go out just for divers? I have no experience with this and have become somewhat interested. Not sure if there are good numbers of divers around NEOK or how to even go after 'em.
LiquidA45
hunter

Re: chasin' divers

Postby sooner737 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:22 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:Anyone go out just for divers? I have no experience with this and have become somewhat interested. Not sure if there are good numbers of divers around NEOK or how to even go after 'em.

Ill shoot a can, redhead (I hear they taste good) and buffies on my smaller ponds but if I really go after them I go to a reservoir. Don't underestimate goose decoys when goin after divers. Id also recommend a few buff dekes.
sooner737
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:28 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:Anyone go out just for divers? I have no experience with this and have become somewhat interested. Not sure if there are good numbers of divers around NEOK or how to even go after 'em.

There used to be a couple of guys (~20 seasons ago) that really went after the divers on the lower end of Eufaula. They used large spreads/layout boats and from what I've been told, did very well. Ft. Gibson also has a lot of divers on her at times however, you'd need to specialize in open water, layout rigs due to the permanent blind situation(s) along the shoreline.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:

There used to be a couple of guys (~20 seasons ago) that really went after the divers on the lower end of Eufaula. They used large spreads/layout boats and from what I've been told, did very well. Ft. Gibson also has a lot of divers on her at times however, you'd need to specialize in open water, layout rigs due to the permanent blind situation(s) along the shoreline.

When you say the blind situation do you mean every year or this year in particular.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:59 am

When we have divers in my area I chase them. I do enjoy a good Diver Hunt.

LTMFH
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:16 am

I am pretty interested in giving it a try. Seems a little different than puddle duck hunting. Might try to snatch up 3 or 4 dozen used decoys and repaint them for divers. Looks like to need to do some reading on diver hunting.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby cole1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:23 am

Rob is all for equal opportunity!!!
cole1
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:29 am

cole1 wrote:Rob is all for equal opportunity!!!

Rob Likes Duck Hunting. He dont care what kind of duck. If it turns to the call or hovers over the decoys it might be in danger.
LTMFH
hunter

Postby cole1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:37 pm

LTMFH wrote:

Rob Likes Duck Hunting. He dont care what kind of duck. If it turns to the call or hovers over the decoys it might be in danger.

Definitely in danger!!! Hey by the way thanks for the heads up on the Yentzen's!!! I bought the exact ones you sent the picture of... They sound awesome!
cole1
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:49 pm

cole1 wrote:
LTMFH wrote:

Definitely in danger!!! Hey by the way thanks for the heads up on the Yentzen's!!! I bought the exact ones you sent the picture of... They sound awesome!

My Favorite Call! Enjoy.
LTMFH
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:33 pm

I've had some awesome diver hunts on watersheds and ponds. I'd like to get into it more.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:35 pm

LTMFH wrote:

I like that line of thinking
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:05 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:I've had some awesome diver hunts on watersheds and ponds. I'd like to get into it more.

I am going to try and acquire some divers, only have about half a dozen right now, and get a decent spread. Let me know if you want to throw a hunt together.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:15 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:

When you say the blind situation do you mean every year or this year in particular.

Pretty sure every year there's a buttload of people who draw for blinds out there, but very, very few hunt out of theirs regularly. If at all.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:45 pm

Northeast oklahoma is full of divers later in the season specially ringnecks and mergansers, I also see a fair amount of cans and redheads. And I shoot them on ponds rivers and lakes
ErieAngler
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:47 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:

Pretty sure every year there's a buttload of people who draw for blinds out there, but very, very few hunt out of theirs regularly. If at all.

There was over 200 guys at the Gibson draw this year. I hunted the lake shore all last season and only saw people use one blind regularly. This year may be more different first month of so but after that I think it will be back to normal. I have a slough and a few ponds just off the lake I can hunt until the pressure goes down. Jo-blows don't hunt when it really gets cold anyways.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:38 pm

Divers dosed with equal amounts of salt, pepper and SUGAR then cooked in BUTTER taste wonderful! Course cubed Doghery goes well in anyone's GUMBO! Especially , one of dem ... " Yeah, toss dat crap in the pot with everything else!" Gumbos!

Seriously , I don't know much about what goes on " in the east " but there there is a distinct " Diver Migration " that occurs each October! They come ahead of the Puddle Ducks and can provide a great early start to the season. Of approx. 200 ducks already kilt this season a bit better than 60 percent have been Divers!

For some reason we also shot a lot more Boot Lickers than " normal " ... but ... there have been seasons back a few years ago where we found the same type of migration ... for whatever that protends will happen and it does MEAN SOMETHING?
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting