Goosebay, Alaska? Where else for waterfowlin'

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Goosebay, Alaska? Where else for waterfowlin'

Postby Alaskanmoosehunter » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:55 am

To make a long story short. I have lived in AK for 10 years now and it's always on Sept 1 you have to choose moose or goose.

I had plenty of moose still so I decided to go for waterfowl. Since I haven't done it in years in Colorado. I got the fever again and forgot how bad I really missed waterfowlin'.

So the first week of Sept I was in Creamers Field and realized a week later that all the birds where GONE........They was literally out of the interior.

I went to Delta and the same thing nothing. In fact many farmers in Delta said it was the worst turn out for geese in years.

So next year I want make it down to Anchortown and maybe kenai area.
Is Goose bay and kenai a good area and what dates are good to be there?
Alaskanmoosehunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:07 am

Hey moosehunter!

I have always had the same problem. My dad and I love going out for Moose, but I have recently become more fond of waterfowling... so its always tuff.

Im assuming yer in Fairbanks?

And welcome to the site. Come often and post even more!

:salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Alaskanmoosehunter » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:02 pm

Yep...I'm in Squarebanks. I'm giving my self about another 5 years here in AK before I move. That will make it 15 years here.

I'm ready for longer hunting seasons and warmer weather. :salude:
Alaskanmoosehunter
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:07 pm

If you bring down a boat then theres a place call coffee point that holds some geese, goose bay a great place to go though.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ducks » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:48 am

got two sandhills out of creamers late sept. next year I plan to get more.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:04 pm

Moosehunter, based on what I have read about this last season up there, it was so warm that the birds staid where they were for a lot longer than normal. They were were still napping on the 1st while you were waiting for them. The geese supposedly went through Delta in a week later in September. It might have even been only three days according to some folks. They came into Cook Inlet here for about a week and were gone.

And speaking of geese: next year I have a plan for resident geese, but it will require folks to have a long lunch break with the possiblity of getting nothing but muddy boots. Don't let the suspense get to you over the winter.

In FBX you are surrounded by great hunting, but need to get a boat for access. Down on the Delta Clearwater you could get ducks well into the winter if you can deal with the cold and the boat ramp that turns into a glacier. I have seen the pics of those hunts but the numbing cold ain't for me anymore.

A funny thing about this fall was that I ran into a guy down here from FBX that was trying to follow the migration. The birds had not shown up here in any great numbers yet so he was doing a lot of running around in the mud buddy, but not shooting much.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:59 pm

Let me in on that muddy boots plan :yes:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ray » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:06 pm

Don't worry about not being in on the "plan" since it is something that I don't think can be done without some others helping on the scouting. And if anything gets killed a dog will be needed since it may not be very safe for us to walk on if the bird lands too far out.

I saw something last fall that took me by surprise and I need to check it out next summer and then again in the fall when the other birds start passing through. It will be a mid day mid week attempt to get at the local birds when they are moving between town and the bush for water or food. Nobody is around at mid day so they are safe to fly and land where ever they want to. They shouldn't be so safe is what I am thinking.

However, the spot I am going to keep an eye has no place to hide since it is ankle high grass over mud. Might need to dig out some shallow pits or pull up a couple of logs to hide a body or two. Then again first year birds may not care about a few lumps of "mud" in the grass.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:40 pm

I'll make sure drake is good and ready, plan on puting him through some trials just for shits and giggles. Can't wait for the snow to leave so we can get back to scouting.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting