Duck Hunting Forum banner

Lee Metcalf Hunting

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  2point 
#1 ·
I am hoping to try and get down to Lee Metcalf this weekend, with deer and elk opener i figure it should be less crowded. I have never hunted it before, though, so i just want to see how early you have to get there to get a blind? Thanks

#7 ·
It's been over a decade since I've been there. I do know there
are a lot of rules, and how early you can be there is one of them.
Another is you can only bring in 20 shells and you must be within
like ten feet of the blind when shooting. And don't shoot the
pheasants! It's tempting since there are more of them than ducks.
I've had some fun shoots there in the middle of the week.
A couple of things, be ready for sky busters. The occasional
rain of pellets. I liked blind #3, it has a spring running into it
and stays open the latest and wasn't as muddy. OH, the mud!
Be careful, some of the areas are so muddy it's dangerous. So
don't just start hucking deeks unless your dog will get them for you.
If you have a chance go down in the daylight and scope it out.

If there are "local" ducks hanging around Missoula you can also
try Kelly Island. Some of the fishing access's down the bitter root
can be ok too. Anyway, good luck! I hope you have more birds
your way. It's pretty bare down here. I think all the birds are around Dillon

#8 ·
I haven't hunted it a couple years and there was only one blind that I thought was even worth hunting and it wasn't uncommon to get there at 3 am and have someone sleeping in there car for a blind ( and that was on week days, weekends were a joke out there). Your better off putting on some miles and looking for bird and knocking on doors.

#9 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I am from Billings, but i go to the University of Montana, so I don't know many places near Missoula to hunt. I guess i will try to go to Ninepipes, if Lee Metcalf is not great. If i get any, i will be sure to give a report back. It looks like Sunday will be the better day to go. Also, if anyone wants to tag along, i would be happy to have another person with. Thanks again for the replies.

#11 ·
I agree with everything shawdawg02 said. I haven't been there in years, but I hear it is a joke these days. The blinds look like small camping trailers out there. I can't believe the sky busting could be worse then it was, if you saw a goose it was in range for a lot of guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.