Scouting Report...No Man's Land...Zone 1 & Upcoming Zone 2!

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Scouting Report...No Man's Land...Zone 1 & Upcoming Zone 2!

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Spent a good amount of time up in No Man's Land and here are a few observations. First off, the Diver Migration is about done in No Man's Land with the appearance of Gadwalls the Puddle Ducks should be more prevelent ... but ... this means that the whole thing up in that area is on " the Downhill Slide ". In a week to two weeks there will only be a few hardy specimens hanging around with most migrators overflying that area for parts further south. Or at least this is what the " normal Duck Migration Pattern " has been for over the past 20 years!

We noticed that the overall numbers were down over past years and we also noticed that the layer of FAT that the ducks had laid on prior to head'n south was way OFF. Simply stated they was for the most part SKINNY! We speculated that this was due to the SAMSON BLIZZARD ? In addition while the wind blows more up there or at least with no trees or buidlings to slow it down we just notice it more. This year it seems that the winds and therefore the upper atmosphere was more active. Hell, it RAINED 4 times and this is almost unheard of. With no Internet service you could not see what the Jet Stream was doing but it DID have something to do with the skinnier duck numbers? Seems to the far west areas of Oklahoma and Tejas the Playas were FULL OF WATER and they were also reported to be COVERED WITH DUCKS! Can't recall the last time the Playas had water in them but it was a LONG TIME AGO! This will also , if it continues and there is nothing to indicate that it will change , tend to " split " the ducks up and POSSIBLY cut down on the overall numbers migrating over Oklahoma proper? This IMO will be the case during the first month to a month and a half of the season. Everything after that will depend on how the Fronts that push the COLD WEATHER DOWN FORM and MOVE DOWN!

We checked on the way home a good spot we usually pull down to on the way home for a couple of shoots and it had about 200 ducks ... mostly divers ... sitting rafted up out in the middle of the small lake! These ducks have not been messed with in any form or fashion and will tend to stick around until such time as they are SHOT UP or simply decided it's time to move on. They have always been easy to decoy and pick up LIMITS FOR ALL INVLOVED for at least two days running! Further on south and to the east as you move back towards OKC Metro area ducks are few and far between. Don't know what the larger lakes have on them as Canton is still way down but should still provide lazing area for migrators.

Made the first round of our PRIVATES or at least what have proven to be " INDICATOR PONDS " and only one had ducks present ... but... there were approx. FIFTY sit'n on it... Gaddies and Pinnies with a few BWT'S!

There appears to be a STRONG BLUE NORTHER that will arrive somtime on the 31st. so we should see a " PUSH " ahead of that into Zone 1 and 2! Depends on how the Jet Stream reacts ... IF it drops down in a traditional " Tear Drop " formation ... FILL YOUR HANDS WITH IRON and POCKETS WITH SHELLS!

I am betting that we are about to have a bit of a HARD WINTER ... one that HOPEFULLY drive the Mallards back into Central Oklahoma like in '06! We had just come off a big drougth like this year and that winter was a BITCH! That and the apparent " upset ' upper winds and Jet Stream protend a winter that is what few folks ... other than Duck Hunters ... want and PRAY FOR!

Hope this helps ... it is nothing more than pure SPECULATION ... but I would BET some of it will be pretty close?
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Re: Scouting Report...No Man's Land...Zone 1 & Upcoming Zone

Postby soonerdrake » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks for sharing Urban. I'm heading out into zone one Saturday to a spot I've opened with for five years running. I'll get a pretty good read for a comparison.
soonerdrake
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:22 pm

UrbanDuckMan wrote:I am betting that we are about to have a bit of a HARD WINTER ... one that HOPEFULLY drive the Mallards back into Central Oklahoma like in '06! We had just come off a big drougth like this year and that winter was a BITCH! That and the apparent " upset ' upper winds and Jet Stream protend a winter that is what few folks ... other than Duck Hunters ... want and PRAY FOR!

Hope this helps ... it is nothing more than pure SPECULATION ... but I would BET some of it will be pretty close?

90 day NOAA Temperature outlook. Nov, Dec, Jan.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... 1_temp.gif

90 day Rain outlook.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... 1_prcp.gif
Marathon Maniacs Member #9135
LTMFH
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:09 pm

LTMFH wrote:
UrbanDuckMan wrote:I am betting that we are about to have a bit of a HARD WINTER ... one that HOPEFULLY drive the Mallards back into Central Oklahoma like in '06! We had just come off a big drougth like this year and that winter was a BITCH! That and the apparent " upset ' upper winds and Jet Stream protend a winter that is what few folks ... other than Duck Hunters ... want and PRAY FOR!

90 day NOAA Temperature outlook. Nov, Dec, Jan.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... 1_temp.gif

90 day Rain outlook.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... 1_prcp.gif

Those outlooks are always wrong...and I have to question the temperature one. How is the entire continent forecasted to be equal or above normal? There's always regions that are above, below, and equal every winter.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby The Real Old Guy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:43 pm

......and so, after enduring a week of Urb, Gut, Wendy, and other neerdowells, I also left no mans land on Tuesday.
From Slapout to Tulsa on Hwy 412 I saw a total of 0 ducks. That includes the ponds along the Cimmiron as well as the usual ponds along and near I35 and the ponds around the Sooner Lake area.
Zone 1 ain't lookin to good for me for opening day.
The Real Old Guy
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:27 am

I don't think it's going to be a cold winter. Simply because we haven't had enough moisture in September and October.... But what do I know.... I'm no meteorologist.

Who is this soonerdrake.. He had me doing a double take thinking it was sooner.... I shall call you sooner #2 to avoid any confusion. I hereby dub sooner drake as sooner #2..... All in favor say iye..... All opposed keep your mouth shut and your fingers from moving cause that is what he shall be called!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:05 am

okduckdude wrote:I don't think it's going to be a cold winter. Simply because we haven't had enough moisture in September and October.... But what do I know.... I'm no meteorologist.

Who is this soonerdrake.. He had me doing a double take thinking it was sooner.... I shall call you sooner #2 to avoid any confusion. I hereby dub sooner drake as sooner #2..... All in favor say iye..... All opposed keep your mouth shut and your fingers from moving cause that is what he shall be called!

I was thinking something along the lines of a duel....pistol or knives mr drake?
We certainly may not have a cold winter but as long as snow keeps fallin in the north I think we'll be ok. Alot of the nodak members are griping bc they think the birds will pretty much just pass through this year. Ooooo I I hope so.
sooner737
hunter

Postby JMichigan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:57 am

There are birds around. I've seen them. Not many, but they are here.
JMichigan
hunter

Postby soonerdrake » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:53 pm

I freely admit I am the new gun in town. It was a holdover handle from another forum that seems to have died. I'll try to come up with something more clever. #2 reminds me of that scene in Austin Powers in the Vegas bathroom :Who Does Number Two Work For!"
soonerdrake
hunter

Postby soonerdrake » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Well we saw a fair amount of ducks but had trouble getting them to commit. They party of six set up not far from us didn't help. They skybusted anything that came close and cut through the hunting zones twice fairying friends back and forth in their brand new mud motor. They didn't have a dog either so the boat was their retrieval system when they were lucky enough to land the magic bb. I'm glad there is a young crop of duck hunters but it's frustrating waiting for them to figure things out.
soonerdrake
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:22 pm

Hunted a lake this weekend. Did OK. I feel for you guys that go go through that all season. Skybust...kazoo duck calling....the gallons of face paint and general lack of knowledge of the area they were in.
sooner737
hunter

Postby MWNHorseshoe » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:25 pm

It stinks being in school and scouting lakes up here in the northwest just for the hell of it. If only I could bring all my gear up here! That's fine though, the only thing I've missed out on is scouting back home, but I'll be back in the good southwest for the zone 2 opener this weekend! Also I'd like to add that I'm a new member of this site and find most of the posts to be quite hilarious! (P.S. the big lake about 15 minutes away from campus is flooded with cormorants and little black mud chickens :thumbsup: )
MWNHorseshoe
Newb

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting