Windy Hunt

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Windy Hunt

Postby Mikeguard01 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:39 pm

Went out this morning by myself white caps and all. After the decoys were all out I kicked back in the blind. I just poured myself a cup of coffee and had about seven Bluebills coming straight at the decoys. Dropped 2 looked back at my watch 7:05. I had to run clear across the creek to pick up the birds the wind was blowing pretty hard. I tried to settle back in but had to fix the blind some of the fast grass came off in the wind. Poured another cup of coffee after spilling the first when I stood up to shoot looked back at my watch 7:30. When I looked back up and I saw a single goose. I called until he was heading my way. Dropped him 25 yards out. This time the wind was blowing him in my direction so I could walk out to pick him up. Yes I spilled my coffee again had just enough for the boat ride back.

Mike

Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:46 am

Don't you just love singles. :yes:

How have you been doing on the geese? I have beeter luck with them up here and can't buy a duck.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mikeguard01 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:45 pm

Rob,

I have only killed 2 geese this year. I love the singles and doubles. A few people have been sky busting the few flocks that come by educating them. I had 2 small flocks come by after I shot that one. They started to come my way but would not commit. They circled a few times then left. There's another blind site next to mine and they have been avoiding that area.

Mike
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:08 am

They are seeing something out of place. Some times adding any kind of motion helps. Or try changing the calling. Some days I call very little and others I am about winded by the time I am shooting. :yes:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting