Rookie Mistakes - Are you kidding me? Did that just happen?!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Re: Rookie Mistakes - Are you kidding me? Did that just happ

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:48 pm

Why are you not shooting them then?
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:50 pm

BBK wrote:We can't figure them out. Had 3 of them swing us 8 times today and then land out in the middle of the river. We have never been able to get any to suck in except for loners. They just swing and swing and swing 40 yards out until they go land out in the middle of nowhere.

here is a tip-they like landing in the middle of open water...... :wink: don't fight it, adapt.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
BBK wrote:We can't figure them out. Had 3 of them swing us 8 times today and then land out in the middle of the river. We have never been able to get any to suck in except for loners. They just swing and swing and swing 40 yards out until they go land out in the middle of nowhere.

here is a tip-they like landing in the middle of open water...... :wink: don't fight it, adapt.

Not possible. It really isn't. Our water is so low that the only place we have to hunt is a small pocket of water in a sandbar, its about 20 yards long and 20 yards wide. Other than that it is the main river, but we wouldn't be able to retrieve anything shot. Wouldn't be possible to get a boat there unless it was an airboat, but once you get there it is a good 8-10 foot deep.

We are in such a drought the last two years it is ridiculous! We used to have a huge section of open water in front of the blinds. Now we have three blinds on dry ground and a sandbar that is 1/4 mile long and 100 yards wide.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:55 pm

waterfowlman wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:
greenster wrote:I think we all make rookie mistakes several times a year. Part of it.

Lord knows I still cost us gunning by passing good shots in the expectation of better.

I've done the same myself, more than once! Hoping for those feet down, cupped and commited breast shots. Gotten more than one dirty look for making the wrong call. :lol3:

I do this a good bit, always trying to get them in position for all to engage. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's a rewarding feeling. I will adjust my shot call after a few flocks make it out without firing a shot. I have an understanding bunch, we're on the same page.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:58 pm

BBK wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Not possible. It really isn't. Our water is so low that the only place we have to hunt is a small pocket of water in a sandbar, its about 20 yards long and 20 yards wide. Other than that it is the main river, but we wouldn't be able to retrieve anything shot. Wouldn't be possible to get a boat there unless it was an airboat, but once you get there it is a good 8-10 foot deep.

We are in such a drought the last two years it is ridiculous! We used to have a huge section of open water in front of the blinds. Now we have three blinds on dry ground and a sandbar that is 1/4 mile long and 100 yards wide.

Oh, it's possible....just takes work to do so. You might have to leave a comfortable blind to hunt it and work your azz off, but it's most definitely possible. I'll take sand flats over walking mud anyday though. :wink: Me- I rather ducks pitching in vs. watching them land somewhere else, that is why we always hunt where they are pitching in no matter what it takes.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
BBK wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Oh, it's possible....just takes work to do so. You might have to leave a comfortable blind to hunt it and work your azz off, but it's most definitely possible. I'll take sand flats over walking mud anyday though. :wink: Me- I rather ducks pitching in vs. watching them land somewhere else, that is why we always hunt where they are pitching in no matter what it takes.

So are you going to wade a 10 foot section of VERY quick current on a loose sand bottom to get your ducks? I'd like to see that! I cant even stand in 3' of the water without the current pushing me over. Canoe is way out unless you are the hulk. Logs and sand humps everywhere so you aren't getting there by boat unless its an air boat. Once you get there, you are out in the middle of nowhere so there is nowhere to hide. Even laying on the sand you are completely exposed.

Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:05 pm

there are ways to hide in the wide azz open with no cover. And there are ways to retrieve birds in current. It's more work, but it's up to you to figure out if it's worth it.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Okay just this morning I went from the hero to a goat. 4 mallards came in, and I shot a cool triple, I was pretty pumped, I felt pretty swagged out. Looked like 2 hens,1 drake. I threw them in the bushes and didn't look at them again after that.

Hunting ended up getting kinda slow and suzie cam in and landed in the decoys and started quacking up a storm. Now since in MN you can only shoot two hen mallards I obviously didn't shoot it. But this duck was really dumb. I stood up and told it "get!" and I jumped up and down and it just looked at me and quacked some more for about 30 seconds.

Well when I started picking up, I noticed one of the "hen" mallards had a dark green bill, and one tiny fleck of green on its head. It was an immature drake. I felt idiodic letting the worlds dumbest hen mallard pass for no reason when she was begging me to shoot her.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:25 am

BBK wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
BBK wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

So are you going to wade a 10 foot section of VERY quick current on a loose sand bottom to get your ducks? I'd like to see that! I cant even stand in 3' of the water without the current pushing me over. Canoe is way out unless you are the hulk. Logs and sand humps everywhere so you aren't getting there by boat unless its an air boat. Once you get there, you are out in the middle of nowhere so there is nowhere to hide. Even laying on the sand you are completely exposed.

If that's what them birds see when they fly in theres your problem... Not a ripple anywhere... I wouldn't land there either.. "ROOKIE MISTAKE"....
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:30 am

18javelin wrote:
BBK wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
BBK wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

If that's what them birds see when they fly in theres your problem... Not a ripple anywhere... I wouldn't land there either.. "ROOKIE MISTAKE"....

Good catch on that....Yep-no movement is a killer for a duck spread on water.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Trent_Rivers » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:58 am

Dropping the screws for the mojo wings. I will be buying magnetic wings for this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:03 am

i love grey ducks.. but some days they act like they have a PHD.. thats usually late jan though..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:22 am

Big one for me is Duck ID sometimes with that bright sky I cant pick them apart from one another...
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:53 am

18javelin wrote:Big one for me is Duck ID sometimes with that bright sky I cant pick them apart from one another...

I've learned to I.D. off body shape as much as possible. We see everything damn near every hunt where we are at, so I get plenty of practice.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby possumfoot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:11 am

Indaswamp wrote:
18javelin wrote:Big one for me is Duck ID sometimes with that bright sky I cant pick them apart from one another...

I've learned to I.D. off body shape as much as possible. We see everything damn near every hunt where we are at, so I get plenty of practice.

same here... between having pretty good vision and being in it since i can remember, i have gotten pretty good at know what is what even from a LONG way off.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:13 am

possumfoot wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

same here... between having pretty good vision and being in it since i can remember, i have gotten pretty good at know what is what even from a LONG way off.

the way they fly helps too.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby possumfoot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:24 am

Indaswamp wrote:
possumfoot wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

shape, rate of wing beats, flight pattern, if there is a group, how are they flying in relation to the other birds.. all of it gets factored in i would think.. don't even think about it any more though, just look and it comes to me..

possumfoot
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:46 am

possumfoot wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
possumfoot wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

shape, rate of wing beats, flight pattern, if there is a group, how are they flying in relation to the other birds.. all of it gets factored in i would think.. don't even think about it any more though, just look and it comes to me..

X2...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby 18javelin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:20 am

I can tell 80% of the time, and 50/50 if im right...
18javelin
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:08 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:I felt idiodic letting the worlds dumbest hen mallard pass for no reason when she was begging me to shoot her.

In the "way back when" we were shooting illustration for a DU piece, and I was out poling around in the pond for the camera when a young speck passed and I hit the call for giggles and grins, only to have it work and work and work around me standing in the boat. Finally, someone in the blind asked if they should shoot it, and my response was, "Hell, no. Let it breed."

Leaving the really dumb ones for seed is a good thing.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:19 am

Rick Hall wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:I felt idiodic letting the worlds dumbest hen mallard pass for no reason when she was begging me to shoot her.

In the "way back when" we were shooting illustration for a DU piece, and I was out poling around in the pond for the camera when a young speck passed and I hit the call for giggles and grins, only to have it work and work and work around me standing in the boat. Finally, someone in the blind asked if they should shoot it, and my response was, "Hell, no. Let it breed."

Leaving the really dumb ones for seed is a good thing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good thinkin Rick!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:26 am

possumfoot wrote:i love grey ducks.. but some days they act like they have a PHD.. thats usually late jan though..

More than a few out-of-state hunters through my blind have said their grays are tough and act like pintails. What I see from them at my pothole is a mixed bag that sometimes has them touching wingtips to toes way the hey up and diving in like kamikazes and other times being very cautious. The later have still generally been pretty susceptible to scranky calling like their own hens or beeps of their drakes.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:28 am

Rick Hall wrote:
possumfoot wrote:i love grey ducks.. but some days they act like they have a PHD.. thats usually late jan though..

More than a few out-of-state hunters through my blind have said their grays are tough and act like pintails. What I see from them at my pothole is a mixed bag that sometimes has them touching wingtips to toes way the hey up and diving in like kamikazes and other times being very cautious. The later have still generally been pretty susceptible to scranky calling like their own hens or beeps of their drakes.

Since your giving away all da secrets Rick, how about that whistler call..... :wink: :tongue:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:38 am

Indaswamp wrote:Since your giving away all da secrets Rick, how about that whistler call..... :wink: :tongue:

Not what I'm currently using, but I'd bet a herding dog whistle would make a kick-ass squealer call. But the only one I heard making the tones I'd want was $40. (Got spooked by that price and didn't try looking up others.)
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:40 am

Indaswamp wrote:
possumfoot wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

X2
OGblackcloud
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole