Are Benelli's really worth the money?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Are Benelli's really worth the money?

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:05 pm

A5Gunner wrote: Why? Because the market will bear the price.

But why, IS the question and it's because of the reasons I stated about vanity and social hierarchy....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby John Duck » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:18 pm

Like a lot of disposable technology, you are not paying for longevity. An old time market hunter on the Chesapeake wore out 5 A5's in the early part of the 20th century. Maryland Fish and Game estimates he killed 65,000 ducks with each gun. Would a BEII last like this? Not! But still a hell of a lightweight, modern gun.
John Duck
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:24 pm

RNT_MAN wrote:it's not a matter of affording one. They are good shotguns...just not $1700 good. The original poster asked if they are worthy he money. With what's available for far less my opinion is no.

:ditto:
As far as semis go, SX3 is what fits me and points the best. I just can't do the sight plane on the M2 or SBE.
Also $600 is a pretty huge difference between 2 guns that are just as reliable as the other. Sure, Benellis are great guns, but when there are options like the SX3 which have been proven just as reliable, I'd have to say they are not worth $1700.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:25 pm

John Duck wrote:Like a lot of disposable technology, you are not paying for longevity. An old time market hunter on the Chesapeake wore out 5 A5's in the early part of the 20th century. Maryland Fish and Game estimates he killed 65,000 ducks with each gun. Would a BEII last like this? Not! But still a hell of a lightweight, modern gun.

JD,

IMO, the only "modern gun" that would approach such longevity is the Beretta 390 series as they would routinely go 100K+ rounds on the Sporting Clays circuits before a rebuild was required.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby John Duck » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:52 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
John Duck wrote:Like a lot of disposable technology, you are not paying for longevity. An old time market hunter on the Chesapeake wore out 5 A5's in the early part of the 20th century. Maryland Fish and Game estimates he killed 65,000 ducks with each gun. Would a BEII last like this? Not! But still a hell of a lightweight, modern gun.

JD,

IMO, the only "modern gun" that would approach such longevity is the Beretta 390 series as they would routinely go 100K+ rounds on the Sporting Clays circuits before a rebuild was required.

Your probably right, but... Can you imagine what a market hunters gun went through compared to a pampered clay range gun?
John Duck
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:13 pm

John Duck wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:

JD,

Your probably right, but... Can you imagine what a market hunters gun went through compared to a pampered clay range gun?

I can show you a "pampered clay range gun" that doesn't get pampered and will be in the river with me this weekend. I am willing to bet it will last me quite a while.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Frylock » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
A5Gunner wrote: Why? Because the market will bear the price.

But why, IS the question and it's because of the reasons I stated about vanity and social hierarchy....

.....and let me tell you, it's good to be on top.
Frylock
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Frylock wrote:.....and let me tell you, it's good to be on top.

There is some Rap star pooping on a $100,000 gold toilet right now who is saying the same thing... :thumbsup:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:49 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:I look at it like this. Let's say you go to a gun shop and shoulder a versamax, a maxus, an A400, an sbe2, and the prices are $1300, $1400, 1500, and $1600. If the $1600 gun feels better, then buying the $1300 gun to save $300 is a poor investment.

Yessir...however, you then look for the guy that shouldered and purchased the $1600 shotgun but has since decided to sell it for "X" reason...never pay retail! :wink:

Yeah, I wanted that 10 year warranty though.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby brentbullets » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:02 pm

The answer to the original question is NO.
Walleyes and Waterfowl, what else is there?
brentbullets
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Tom Knapp had over 500,000 rounds through his m1 super 90 before he gave it to the Buffalo Bill museum. The gun had never been rebuilt and still ran perfectly. They're definitely worth the money. I have old A5's and a Vinci. A Benelli will definitely outlast an old A5, no doubt in my mind.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby rookielabtrainer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:28 pm

Beretta nuf said

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
rookielabtrainer
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:41 pm

mawtrfowler wrote:Tom Knapp had over 500,000 rounds through his m1 super 90 before he gave it to the Buffalo Bill museum. The gun had never been rebuilt and still ran perfectly. They're definitely worth the money. I have old A5's and a Vinci. A Benelli will definitely outlast an old A5, no doubt in my mind.

My M2 is going to be my duck gun for the rest of my days.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby A5Gunner » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:49 pm

mawtrfowler wrote:Tom Knapp had over 500,000 rounds through his m1 super 90 before he gave it to the Buffalo Bill museum. The gun had never been rebuilt and still ran perfectly. They're definitely worth the money. I have old A5's and a Vinci. A Benelli will definitely outlast an old A5, no doubt in my mind.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You crack me up, keep em coming! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:06 pm

An A5 has a lot more parts that something can go wrong with. The action in my Vinci is exactly 8 parts. Not much to go wrong with in there and its all in one assembly. In a matter of seconds I can have the whole thing out and apart. They're both reliable and great guns but the Benelli system is simpler and more reliable, end of story, not much more to say about it.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:01 am

mawtrfowler wrote:An A5 has a lot more parts that something can go wrong with. The action in my Vinci is exactly 8 parts. Not much to go wrong with in there and its all in one assembly. In a matter of seconds I can have the whole thing out and apart. They're both reliable and great guns but the Benelli system is simpler and more reliable, end of story, not much more to say about it.

Reliability/durability has a bit more to do with fit, finish, quality of components, etc. than number of parts alone.

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:24 am

Of course it does. And the fit, finish and quality on every benelli I've handled has been excellent. When I bought my Vinci I spent a couple of months looking at different models until I decided what to get. I checked out the xtrema 2 and the sx3 and didn't like either of them. Not saying that they're bad guns, I just don't like the way they fit me. After research and comparing them side to side I went with the Vinci and it hasn't let me down once in 3 seasons.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:27 am

mawtrfowler wrote:Of course it does. And the fit, finish and quality on every benelli I've handled has been excellent. When I bought my Vinci I spent a couple of months looking at different models until I decided what to get. I checked out the xtrema 2 and the sx3 and didn't like either of them. Not saying that they're bad guns, I just don't like the way they fit me. After research and comparing them side to side I went with the Vinci and it hasn't let me down once in 3 seasons.

I have a M1 that has seen ~20 seasons.

Also, have an A-5 that has seen 47 seasons.

Wonder if the Benelli can hold up like John M.'s creation?

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:49 am

No reason it shouldn't

mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:50 am

I plan on having my Vinci for a very long time and adding some more benellis to the collection

mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:55 am

mawtrfowler wrote:I plan on having my Vinci for a very long time and adding some more benellis to the collection

Good for you! :beer:

The five I currently have underwent trigger jobs by my g'smith to get the rough travel/gravel out of them. They now pull off as smooth as my Beretta's do, right outa the box.

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:33 am

2nd graders fighting on the playground.... :crying: :fingerhead:
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:57 am

gearhead80 wrote:2nd graders fighting on the playground.... :crying: :fingerhead:

It's not like that. The Vinci might turn out to be a fine gun (still funny looking :tongue: ). If he likes it more power to him. I just thought the statement was ridiculous, so I decided to ridicule it. :yes: On one hand you have a legend of gun reliability and design, on the other a still wet behind the ears, fresh out of the womb, pup of a gun. Odds are more likely in 40 years people will be saying "what's a Vinitian?" And the gun will be long forgotten. Quick, what autoloader was Benelli producing in 1912, 1922, 1932, 1962.... I think you get the point. Not just picking on this gun, you could fill in the blank with most any autoloader made today. BTW still overpriced in my book.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:37 pm

Really, the guy with the name "A5Gunner" doesn't like benelli? Didnt see that one coming. :fingerhead:
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:31 pm

A5Gunner wrote:
gearhead80 wrote:2nd graders fighting on the playground.... :crying: :fingerhead:

It's not like that. The Vinci might turn out to be a fine gun (still funny looking :tongue: ). If he likes it more power to him. I just thought the statement was ridiculous, so I decided to ridicule it. :yes: On one hand you have a legend of gun reliability and design, on the other a still wet behind the ears, fresh out of the womb, pup of a gun. Odds are more likely in 40 years people will be saying "what's a Vinitian?" And the gun will be long forgotten. Quick, what autoloader was Benelli producing in 1912, 1922, 1932, 1962.... I think you get the point. Not just picking on this gun, you could fill in the blank with most any autoloader made today. BTW still overpriced in my book.

Well your gun that was produced back then was a fine unit. For the times....
I find it odd that The Oh Mighty old School A5, had production stopped, then got remodeled into what it is today when they decided to make it again. The function of the new A5 kind of reminds me of the way say a Benelli works.. I'm sure Browning did this because it was no better than the old model.. And the new A5 is what, $1500. Interesting to say the least..

Technology is wonderful thing when properly used.
And yea I have an A5 from 1965(inherited from my grandfather who taught me to duck hunt), it's neat, but I don't like the way it shoots.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum