Are Benelli's really worth the money?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Are Benelli's really worth the money?

Postby mawtrfowler » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:55 pm

A5Gunner wrote:
gearhead80 wrote:2nd graders fighting on the playground.... :crying: :fingerhead:

It's not like that. The Vinci might turn out to be a fine gun (still funny looking :tongue: ). If he likes it more power to him. I just thought the statement was ridiculous, so I decided to ridicule it. :yes: On one hand you have a legend of gun reliability and design, on the other a still wet behind the ears, fresh out of the womb, pup of a gun. Odds are more likely in 40 years people will be saying "what's a Vinitian?" And the gun will be long forgotten. Quick, what autoloader was Benelli producing in 1912, 1922, 1932, 1962.... I think you get the point. Not just picking on this gun, you could fill in the blank with most any autoloader made today. BTW still overpriced in my book.

I'm not taking offense to anything, just some light ribbing going on but I have to disagree with you here. In 40 years people will definitely remember the Super Black Eagle. They should be remembering the Vinci because I think that system will catch on as there is a lot of potential in it. I don't know if you've read up on or spent any time with a Vinci but its a pretty innovative system that I think is here to stay. The A5 was innovative back in its time but not anymore, IMO the Vinci system is probably the most innovative auto loader design in recent time.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:09 pm

mawtrfowler wrote:
A5Gunner wrote:
gearhead80 wrote:2nd graders fighting on the playground.... :crying: :fingerhead:

It's not like that. The Vinci might turn out to be a fine gun (still funny looking :tongue: ). If he likes it more power to him. I just thought the statement was ridiculous, so I decided to ridicule it. :yes: On one hand you have a legend of gun reliability and design, on the other a still wet behind the ears, fresh out of the womb, pup of a gun. Odds are more likely in 40 years people will be saying "what's a Vinitian?" And the gun will be long forgotten. Quick, what autoloader was Benelli producing in 1912, 1922, 1932, 1962.... I think you get the point. Not just picking on this gun, you could fill in the blank with most any autoloader made today. BTW still overpriced in my book.

I'm not taking offense to anything, just some light ribbing going on but I have to disagree with you here. In 40 years people will definitely remember the Super Black Eagle. They should be remembering the Vinci because I think that system will catch on as there is a lot of potential in it. I don't know if you've read up on or spent any time with a Vinci but its a pretty innovative system that I think is here to stay. The A5 was innovative back in its time but not anymore, IMO the Vinci system is probably the most innovative auto loader design in recent time.

It's all good. You have a much better case for the M series or SBE due to track record. I think the jury is still out on the Vinci. We shall see. I hope to still be around a few more decades. :beer:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Frylock » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:07 pm

mawtrfowler wrote:I'm not taking offense to anything, just some light ribbing going on but I have to disagree with you here. In 40 years people will definitely remember the Super Black Eagle. They should be remembering the Vinci because I think that system will catch on as there is a lot of potential in it. I don't know if you've read up on or spent any time with a Vinci but its a pretty innovative system that I think is here to stay. The A5 was innovative back in its time but not anymore, IMO the Vinci system is probably the most innovative auto loader design in recent time.

I completely agree with you. It's my impression that most folks aren't aware that the Vinci is an entirely different operating system from the rest of the Benelli lineup - and a huge leap forward. Will it stand the test of time? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Frylock
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:24 pm

Frylock wrote:
mawtrfowler wrote:
I completely agree with you. It's my impression that most folks aren't aware that the Vinci is an entirely different operating system from the rest of the Benelli lineup - and a huge leap forward. Will it stand the test of time? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I can't see how it won't be. There's a lot of potential in that modular system and its a great action. The one piece barrel and receiver should contribute to excellent accuracy with slugs when they release a rifled barrel. Pistol grip stocks, extended magazine tubes and different forearms would take seconds to switch out. I really hope Benelli is going to explore the full potential of the system. When they release a slug barrel I'll most likely be getting one.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Hate to say it, but you won't be able to easily (or cheaply) acquire a rifled barrel unless you're willing to buy another Vinci. The barrel is the serialized portion of the gun, so to the ATF, the barrel *is* the gun. Similar to how a lower is for the AR15 or how the Glock frame is. So to get a new barrel, you either need to fill out another 4472 form or buy a completely different Vinci and then interchange the parts. From what I recall, a replacement barrel is north of $650 as well.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:27 pm

MSparks909 wrote:Hate to say it, but you won't be able to easily (or cheaply) acquire a rifled barrel unless you're willing to buy another Vinci. The barrel is the serialized portion of the gun, so to the ATF, the barrel *is* the gun. Similar to how a lower is for the AR15 or how the Glock frame is. So to get a new barrel, you either need to fill out another 4472 form or buy a completely different Vinci and then interchange the parts. From what I recall, a replacement barrel is north of $650 as well.

That is incorrect. Except possibly for the $650 part. Other than that, completely wrong
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:50 pm

mawtrfowler wrote:
MSparks909 wrote:Hate to say it, but you won't be able to easily (or cheaply) acquire a rifled barrel unless you're willing to buy another Vinci. The barrel is the serialized portion of the gun, so to the ATF, the barrel *is* the gun. Similar to how a lower is for the AR15 or how the Glock frame is. So to get a new barrel, you either need to fill out another 4472 form or buy a completely different Vinci and then interchange the parts. From what I recall, a replacement barrel is north of $650 as well.

That is incorrect. Except possibly for the $650 part. Other than that, completely wrong

Well, he is mostly correct. On the vinci the upper is attached to the barrel, and is stamped with the serial number. So the upper/barrel is the gun registered with the ATF. For that reason, the module cannot be sold without registering it as a new weapon.

Benelli does not, and will not, offer any replacement barrels for the vinci (came from an inside source). The reason is because taking the upper off the barrel is deemed to be a gunsmith task by benelli and will void the warranty if they can tell you did it yourself, so if they sold replacement barrels the consumer would have to take the upper off the barrel and that would void the warranty unless done by a benelli approved gunsmith. At least that is what I was told.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:32 pm

The top barrel assembly is one piece with the bolt housing ("upper"). There's no serial number on this portion. The lower contains the serial number. Obtaining a barrel sans bolt should not be any different than getting a regular barrel. The barrel and upper can't be separated anyways. Unless it was cut off and rewelded. The serial number on my gun is on the bottom of the forearm. Nothing on the upper
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:13 pm

mawtrfowler wrote:The top barrel assembly is one piece with the bolt housing ("upper"). There's no serial number on this portion. The lower contains the serial number. Obtaining a barrel sans bolt should not be any different than getting a regular barrel. The barrel and upper can't be separated anyways. Unless it was cut off and rewelded. The serial number on my gun is on the bottom of the forearm. Nothing on the upper

Sorry, I misspoke. The serial should be on the receiver which is attached to the barrel. Anyhow, the barrels cannot be sold because the serial number is attached to the barrel.
BBK
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:45 pm

BBK wrote:Sorry, I misspoke. The serial should be on the receiver which is attached to the barrel. Anyhow, the barrels cannot be sold because the serial number is attached to the barrel.

I looked at my upper assembly, there was no serial number. The only serial number was on the lower assembly. Unless they changed something since I got mine then the barrel should be able to be sold separately. Do you have one you could take a picture of?
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:48 pm

I'll dig up the email from benelli when I get a chance. In the meantime, a google search should tell where the serial is (was) located.
BBK
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:45 pm

No, Beretta's are better. Also gas operated are better than recoil or inertia operated autoloaders. :beer:
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:31 am

My brother has a Super Sport, Cordova and a Vinci Super Sport, He was pretty excited about the Vinci but after a month or so he parked it and spends all of his time with his Cordova and the Vinci SS now collects dust, The Carbon Fiber finish looks like crap after just that short time small chips and flakes have come off on some of the edges, while his Cordova and Super Sport see steady use and still look great being used two to three times a week all year long shooting leagues. The problem with the Vinci is if he tried too sell it he could not get half of what he paid for it :eek:.

Kurt
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:35 pm

This thread has more details on why there will never be replacement barrels for the Vinci, because the upper is the serialized portion, which is one reason I sold mine...the other is because a 10 round extended magazine is $270. I shoot 3 gun competitions in the Spring and Summer and I refuse to pay over $100 for an extended magazine tube.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 2&t=269665
MSparks909
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Yea, well I think every gun ever made sucks and costs too much!!! :hammer:
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:54 pm

I found the serial number on the upper. Never noticed it there before, very difficult to see in the darker parts of the max 4. I wouldnt have a problem filling out a form to get a barrel but i guess it would complicate things on their end. I would think they would at least make one for the european market since I believe they don't consider the upper the firearm
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:56 am

Hat Flats wrote:My brother has a Super Sport, Cordova and a Vinci Super Sport, He was pretty excited about the Vinci but after a month or so he parked it and spends all of his time with his Cordova and the Vinci SS now collects dust, The Carbon Fiber finish looks like crap after just that short time small chips and flakes have come off on some of the edges, while his Cordova and Super Sport see steady use and still look great being used two to three times a week all year long shooting leagues. The problem with the Vinci is if he tried too sell it he could not get half of what he paid for it :eek:.

Kurt

Of all the Benelli's I have/had the Super Sport is far and away the most pointable & lively feeling of the lot. Took a long, hard look at the Vinci when it initially came to market however, it still didn't match the Super Sport, which I have taken to the duck blind on several hunts as by the time the birds notice the polished receiver, they're DRT.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Get the green » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:59 pm

mawtrfowler wrote:I found the serial number on the upper. Never noticed it there before, very difficult to see in the darker parts of the max 4. I wouldnt have a problem filling out a form to get a barrel but i guess it would complicate things on their end. I would think they would at least make one for the european market since I believe they don't consider the upper the firearm

Unfortunately they are correct, I have already been down that road when I looked into getting a shorter barrel for turkey hunting.. The Vinci is a workhorse and shoots better than my sbe2 but in my 3rd season still not a fan of the safety.
Get the green
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:49 am

mawtrfowler wrote:
. In 40 years people will definitely remember the Super Black Eagle.

True, but its a damn shame the M2 doesn't get its proper respect.

I love mine, its a very good gun for someone who doesn't need the penis extension that a 3.5" offers.

Carry on, Dr Vinchi.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Blackmallard40 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:28 pm

Purchased SBE 1 Monday best pointing gun I've ever had
Last edited by Blackmallard40 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackmallard40
hunter

Postby Blackmallard40 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:28 pm

Purchased SBE 1 Monday best pointing gun I've ever had
Last edited by Blackmallard40 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackmallard40
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:52 am

Blackmallard40 wrote:Purchased SBE 1 Monday best pointing gun I've ever has

Must have put a 3 1/2" shell in it and torched the thing off...probably kicked him so hard it caused the double-post and inability to write a coherent sentence? :yes:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Blackmallard40 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:05 am

Yuchi1 wrote:
Blackmallard40 wrote:Purchased SBE 1 Monday best pointing gun I've ever has

Must have put a 3 1/2" shell in it and torched the thing off...probably kicked him so hard it caused the double-post and inability to write a coherent sentence? :yes:

Actually I have big fingers and have trouble typing on my phone.
Blackmallard40
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:17 am

Everyone who hates Benelli WHINES about the recoil. So I'm sure this test has to be doctored. I know it's a little older but I stumbled on this and found it interesting. Maybe people that think they KICK so hard don't properly shoulder guns. :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCj0PCGGxtA
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby beaunelli » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:51 pm

ask yourself the original question and answer it for yourself: how many benelli's have been sold? obviously there are many people who think theyr'e worth the money. i bet if you took a poll half of the people responding to this thread DONT OWN ONE. Its funny when people put it down but cant give an answer to "well what is better"? surely not your piece of sh!t grandpa's A-5 that wont cycle low brass :hi: LOL these internet Gun guru's have it all figured out. let the hating begin :beer:
beaunelli
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum