How do I know where hunting is legal?

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

How do I know where hunting is legal?

Postby Boykinboy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:31 am

How do I know where its legal to hunt waterfowl? Some places Im cyber-scouting look good for ducks, but im not sure the legality?? There are a couple certain creeks that I'd like to either float or wade the edge, theirs no houses or anything on the creek. How about if there are ponds id like to hunt, but there just in the swamp, I assume for that Id just ask the landowner? My main concern is the legality of floating/ wading creeks and the banks? I was under the assumption it just had to be 300 yarss from a residence, but looking through my SCDNR books i can't find that.. The creek is tiny, maybe 10 yards wide.
Ps im typing this in thr treestand, please excuse any eerors from my cold fingers
Boykinboy
hunter

Re: How do I know where hunting is legal?

Postby UpSouth811 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Dnr waterfowl regs online have a list of distances on bodies of water. Most are 200 yards
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby Boykinboy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:03 pm

This particular area isnt listed. Im goong to ask the landowners if I could walk on their land, but im concerned on the legality of floating and shooting
Boykinboy
hunter

Postby bigsprig » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:15 am

As a general rule if you can float there you can hunt out of boat or in water, but if you step onto land above what is known as high water line you are trespassing, even to retrieve a duck.

Best to check with local wardens before trying an area.

Never go into someone's pond or walk onto their river bank without permission, good way get arrested or accidentally shot by deer hunter.

Stick to lakes, large rivers, and areas with permission.

Good luck.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:50 am

you can float hunt any creek you want unless it is a kings grant which are far and few between. But the second you touch dry ground you are trespassing. That includes decoy weights on the bottom which shouldn't be a problem since your floating. I do it all the time, just make sure you DONT shoot ducks that will land on dry ground. Better safe than sorry in that scenario. As long as it isnt a kings grant you can go and hunt anywhere you want as long as you can get there in a boat without touching ground. If you can get to the ponds from boat, you can hunt them as long as you don't touch the bottom. Some lakes that are owned by power plants and such, like hartwell that are opened to the public are different. You can get on the land and go/walk anywhere as long as you stay below the high water mark which basically represents the power plants property lines.
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:44 pm

There is a kings grant in beaufort..ive seen people hunt in it....its trespassing ...if you hunt woodies in near beaufort you know where im talking
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:50 pm

There is a kings grant in beaufort..ive seen people hunt in it....its trespassing ...if you hunt woodies in near beaufort you know where im talking
Woodiewacker
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting