Great Hunt Today

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J.

Great Hunt Today

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:07 pm

For the second time this week I had the pleasure of bringing a fellow DHC'er hunting with me. Today it was Professor Leakey's turn. Like Matt McManus, I was pleased that Leakey wasn't there to kill everything in sight or care whether or not we brought home a lot of birds. He was there to enjoy the hunt and watch the wetlands come alive.

I was slightly concerned it was going to be another slow day with the blue bird weather continuing, and that Leakey wouldn't get much shooting in but I was wrong about that. We set up and the first birds to come in were all Leakey's. In short order he had two greenwings and a nice drake wood duck. Then the wait started for more birds. It took a while but birds started to come around in the eight o'clock hour, and they were all big birds. Not large flocks, but nice workable flocks of five black ducks and four mallards and some geese. I put my basic calling to work and we had mallards, blacks and geese all cupped and committed at different times. What a sight to have geese at eight yards :eek: . And seeing the blacks and mallards come in on a string was sweet.

We both left some of our shooting skills at home today but came out with seven birds, the majority to Leakey, which is fine with me because I wanted him to have a good time. The breakdown was 2 geese, 2 greenwings, 1 wood duck, 1 mallard and 1 black duck. Not bad for a blue bird morning.

Nice hunting with you PL.

102613.JPG

1026132.JPG
Baymen Moe
hunter

Re: Great Hunt Today

Postby McManusClan5 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Daaayum! :thumbsup:

Must be nice shooting with someone who can hit a bird (never-mind a cows ass with both hands…). :lol3:

Way to get after them (mmmmm… goose…. :drool: ). Good on ya'

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Well Done you guys :beer: !

We experienced similar results. After the wind started to pick up the puddler's started cooperating! 4 Drake mallards, 1 Black duck and 2 geese. So glad bow season is open, No one else out in a popular location.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Joser06 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Man, awesome hunt guys. You are making me jealous I didn't get out the last couple days!
Joser06
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:30 pm

This is before my cell battery fizzled. Hopefully PJ has more pictures of the final tally
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:57 pm

hey baymen, how could you not mention my premonition, my feeling that something was about to happen? very rarely do i get to show off my psychic abilities like that, ha.

i cannot thank you enough for taking me along today. i had a great time, and i hope we can get out again this season. you are welcome in my blind anytime. :beer:

go sox!!

oh and i am glad that my rumbling bubble guts didnt flare the birds. ha. don't forget to check der email.

*i also want to mention that i was wearing my lucky Kenlee's Krew tee shirt
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Bunker » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:hey baymen, how could you not mention my premonition, my feeling that something was about to happen? very rarely do i get to show off my psychic abilities like that, ha.

i cannot thank you enough for taking me along today. i had a great time, and i hope we can get out again this season. you are welcome in my blind anytime. :beer:

go sox!!

oh and i am glad that my rumbling bubble guts didnt flare the birds. ha. don't forget to check der email.

*i also want to mention that i was wearing my lucky Kenlee's Krew tee shirt

So are you saying you had a clue?

Sounds like a great hunt guys!

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:18 pm

It'a funny really, Leakey said to me, " I'm putting my ear plugs back in because I have a good feeling". No sooner did he say that and we had a flock of black ducks come in. The Duck Whisperer :bow:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:19 pm

dude, i had a raging clue.

talk of clues goes back to me and bunker ice fishing and guessing which flag would go up next.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Yah, but you can keep your clue goo to yourself, even if the ducks are coming in. :lol3:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:37 pm

i am too damned tired to come up with a funny response to that. good night. thank you. good night.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:i am too damned tired to come up with a funny response to that. good night. thank you. good night.

Nighty night.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Bunker » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Thx Moe I was beginning to believe that I was the one causing the clue goo and it just woulda been uncomfortable... :( :)

Bunker
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:45 am

this thread got weird...not that there's anything wrong with that.

im off to go fishing now before the football game. hopefully there will be fried smelt on the menu tonight.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Let us know how you do! I would love to find some smelt around here instead of driving to midcoast Maine
Joser06
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:58 pm

The smelt bite has been nonexistant this year. It is strange.

Joser, I typically catch loads of them here in Mass and also make a trip or two each winter to the ice shacks in Maine. If you want, I will let you know when Im headed up there and youre welcome to come along, :beer:
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Bunker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:59 am

Just a precautionary note... He get's clues in the shanty's too and and a veracious appetite!!!

Bunker
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:19 pm

Bunker wrote:Just a precautionary note... He get's clues in the shanty's too and and a veracious appetite!!!

Ok that did it, now you done did it. Now i am going to have to correct your spelling...it is voracious.
As in, my appetite for beer is voracious and sometimes causes me to post dumb chit that only i find amusing.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bunker you gonna shoot a deer and bring down some back strap?
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:14 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:The smelt bite has been nonexistant this year. It is strange.

Joser, I typically catch loads of them here in Mass and also make a trip or two each winter to the ice shacks in Maine. If you want, I will let you know when Im headed up there and youre welcome to come along, :beer:

Appreciate the invite. Just let me know when!

And bunker, I will have to keep an eye out for those raging clues! :eek:
Joser06
hunter

Postby Bunker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:
Bunker wrote:Just a precautionary note... He get's clues in the shanty's too and and a veracious appetite!!!

Ok that did it, now you done did it. Now i am going to have to correct your spelling...it is voracious.
As in, my appetite for beer is voracious and sometimes causes me to post dumb chit that only i find amusing.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bunker you gonna shoot a deer and bring down some back strap?

Thank you Mr. Webster for the correction! Now for my correction....I wasn't talking about appetite for beer more your appetite for Tommy Cod and cold swims! You keep pushing and I can come up with video..... :)

Back Strap? You may get lucky enough to see a steak... If I get lucky enough to whack one outta the gate. Last year the duck hunters helped me on opening day but the way the seasons fall this year I won't get the extra help! I'll have to wait til Monday for it to reopen and hope somebody takes the day off! :hammer:

Question...Have you ever not gotten choice cuts? Don't get your waders in a bunch!

Bunker
hunter

Postby Bunker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:41 pm

Joser06 wrote:
Professor_Leakey wrote:The smelt bite has been nonexistant this year. It is strange.

Appreciate the invite. Just let me know when!

And bunker, I will have to keep an eye out for those raging clues! :eek:

Joser, I will say that the last time it got like that we got so many smelts I was giving em' away. Last couple of trips have been slow but we are due to hit the mother lode!

Bunker
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:02 pm

Bunker wrote:I wasn't talking about appetite for beer more your appetite for Tommy Cod and cold swims! You keep pushing and I can come up with video..... :)

there's video?!?! NOOOOOO. ha. i would like to see it, though. please email. i forget...did i bite the head off the tommy cod or eat the whole thing?
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:53 pm

i rememember now, i ate the Tommy Cod. I do want to see video proof, but not on here. A couple guys from the Mass forum witnessed me eating a live smelt on a similar occasion. Tell Willie to email the video to me...and also to sign up on DHC. That is one funny mutha-effer.

Joser, apparently there is a smelt bite going on in Winthrop. Cant give you any specific spots because i do not fish up that way. I will be headed up to the ice shacks in Maine sometime soon after duck season. I will let you know. It is a lot of fun whether we catch smelt or not...lots of beer and John Daniels and good natured back and forth with the locals. I would be happy to head up there with a crew of DHC guys in January or February if there is any interest.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:33 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:lots of beer and John Daniels and good natured back and forth with the locals. I would be happy to head up there with a crew of DHC guys in January or February if there is any interest.

Don't you mean Jack Daniels? No, when you've known him as long as I have...

That's a joke.

Recognize the quote? Ahhh, where did this thread go?
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting