Merced WWTP

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Merced WWTP

Postby OffiSur » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:21 pm

Hello,

I put in for, and won, three dates for a CDFW SHARE Hunt at the Merced Waste Water Treatment Plant the first week in November.

I have only a little waterfowl hunting experience to begin with (self-taught and that’s being generous) and I've never hunted a WWTP before.

I was wondering if any you had any experience at such a place? What concerns should I be aware of? Are the ducks edible?
What tips, pointers or suggestions would you give to help me make the very best of these fortunate opportunities?

Most importantly: Should I feel incredibly lucky that I got back-to-back-to-back dates, or should I be aware that I was the only fool to put in for the draw? I feel that I’m a pretty lucky guy in general, but this seems too good to be true.

I do appreciate you all for taking the time and effort to help a fellow out. Thank you much.
OffiSur
Newb

Re: Merced WWTP

Postby Tyrtruion » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:35 pm

I would assume all of those questions could be best answered by a dfg warden... (Yes I know it's df&w and they are wildlife secretary's now)
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:18 pm

I drew opening day and didnt go. There is 6 blinds, there is no cover, and they said you can bring your own pop up blind. :no:

As for edibility, its a mitigation wetland and is no where near the waste water treatment plant.

good luck :thumbsup:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby Calikev » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:13 am

The WW pond used to shoot a few ducks late in the season. In fact a bunch of DFG guys used to like to hunt it as their own little private club type deal but anyone could put in a permit and go over there and hunt it.

Here's the deal..............the gate doesn't open until after shooting time. I believe it is like 7 or 8am so you won't be in there at first light. So you will go out there and probably kick up birds if there are any.

It might be worth a look late in the season when the birds around and you are looking to avoid a crowd. However, I wouldn't expect too much in November.

Give it a try though..............worth a look.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby OffiSur » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:51 am

Calikev-

Thank you for the heads up. It sounds like a bum deal to not have access until after the morning rush hour.
I still plan on going this Saturday to look things over, then play it by ear from there on out.

AJCsurf-

Thank you for the tip about no cover. I don't have a layout blind so I might be out of luck.
As for the water quality, I'm glad to hear I won't feel like another turd in a giant bowl.

Tyrtruion-

The info packet (good maps, light on details) provided a few contact numbers.
I'm going to give them a phone call today. Hopefully their offices are open.
OffiSur
Newb

Postby AJCsurf » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:57 pm

OffiSur wrote:
Thank you for the tip about no cover. I don't have a layout blind so I might be out of luck.
As for the water quality, I'm glad to hear I won't feel like another turd in a giant bowl.

just to clarify... its flooded, but no cover so a layout blind would not be optimum anyways.

good luck. :beer:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby Pauly66 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:42 pm

Offisur-

Did you make it out for your hunt?

I drew a permit and wondering if it's worth the trip?

Thanks-
Pauly66
Newb

Return to California Duck Hunting