mud motor build

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

mud motor build

Postby miket410 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:04 pm

my mud motor project has been with a 1444 lowe boat with a 20hp v twin honda motor long shaft kit put the beavertail floatation pod on it and im getting about 22mph hoping for more not really sure what rpm im at right now awaiting my tachometer for the small engine hope to have it in about week so heres some photos and videos we have so far of it

http://youtu.be/EbxEYiEEFrY

http://youtu.be/N2Ox5pJ9AEA
Attachments
boat 4.jpg
boat 3.jpg
boat 2 .jpg
boat 1.jpg
miket410
hunter

Re: mud motor build

Postby Cajunwannabe » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:00 pm

What Thai kit is that? Have you run it in straight mud yet?
Cajunwannabe
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:06 pm

what size prop are you running on that? Needs some paint on her and she'll be ready!!

Team Quackout
Rhock19
hunter

Postby miket410 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:04 pm

I actually got the kit from a company online called mud skipper and its a 9.5 inche prop I'm goung to order a few her in the next few weeks to see what really works the best on the kit it was a good kit the people from the company have been great the deal with only down fall to the kit is the handle its just not large enough really have to fight it going fast
And as far as mud we ran it throu a bunch today and it worked great actually took it threw a half inche of water mud and gunk and didn't even attempt to get stuck
miket410
hunter

Postby Cajunwannabe » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:11 am

You have to fight it because of tiller torque or fight to keep the prop in the water?

I watched your video and it looks like you're making it surface pierce to get your speed up. I believe the Thai motors are meant to run subsurface. I've been curious to see how a larger h.p. motor would do please keep us posted.
Cajunwannabe
hunter

Postby miket410 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:40 am

I'm fighting it to keep it in the water its just hard to keep it down at faster speed I think with more leverage and being able to stand not be on my knees it will be better..my leg is bruised today from resting it on my leg at higher speeds to keep it in the water
miket410
hunter

Postby Cajunwannabe » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:20 pm

I run a 25 hp short tail straight drive and I wear a contractors knew pad on my "tilt n trim" knee. LOL

I wondered what kind of torque those Thai rigs delivered....now I know.
Cajunwannabe
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:00 pm

I have the swamp runner kit , I think both company's are own by brothers from what I've heard . Don't know if that's true , but happy with the kit myself . I have 6.5 motor , and yes you get a work out . I use a ice cooler as a seat instead of the boat seat , found that if you are fwd more from the handle , not as hard to handle .
dogyak
hunter

Postby miket410 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:59 pm

Yea I'm making a handle this week to try it out ill let you all know how it goes and if its any better thinking of using black pipe and fitting and just welding them together after I get it where I need it to insure it doesn't move on me
miket410
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds