Report Card at Skagit

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

Report Card at Skagit

Postby bluebiller » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Snow geese flying by the hundreds over the dikes today, primarily at the Skagit Hunt club area by North Fork. I don't know what the membership fees are, but I'd a had an easy limit today if I were a member. Nobody was hunting there as well. Can you believe it? There were ducks, mostly mallards, rafting out in the bay. Enjoyed the sounds of the marsh with hawks, blue heron, snipe, snow geese, and ducks making their presence known. Them snipes sure do startle you when walking out to the marsh at 6:30am. You practically step on 'em ...... and woooosh!

Lastly, took a scouting trip to a QH (Quality Hunt per WDFW) sight called 'The Channel' which was about 6 miles due north along Channel Drive. First time I'd ever been there. There are 2 hunt spots there called Channel 1 and Channel 2. You park in the same location for both. My printed copy only specified 1, so that was learned. It looked ok, except the folks there living next to the slough/channel are within 150 yards of the blinds. I don't think they'd appreciate the sounds of shotguns going off at shooting time. At least, one would think not. Never did the walk to the blind, but it was clearly visible from the parking lot. The road actually dead ends there, too. I don't know, but I just don't think I could hunt there comfortably with the location so close to civilization. My two cents.

Sure hope they open up a few QH spots in the future down south of the city. Anyone hear or read of any? I'm sure some of our members would like that.
bluebiller

"decoyless, pass, jump, and sneak hunting ..... falling to earth and getting your face dirty"
bluebiller
hunter

Re: Report Card at Skagit

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:53 am

Further update on the Channel 1&2 QH areas. They are tide dependent as they are filled through culverts off the Swinomish Channel. The bottom in front of both blinds is extremely soft. Without some kind of flotation device you can expect to sink into the black, stinky goo up to your thighs within 3 feet of the bank. Even with a dog, just setting decoys is an extremely dangerous proposition. With the small migration and no rain so far, most of the local birds are still on the salt and I thought they would be a good alternative. After almost getting into trouble in front of both blinds I left without setting out a single decoy. Hunt these areas with EXTREME CAUTION. :no:
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby Lost Fish » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:47 pm

This is a good hunt location with the right conditions. As far as the mud goes, have chest waders and walk on your knees and slide around on top of it. Have never tried it but "Mud Shoes" kind of like snow shoes would work good there to.

As far as the distances go to the houses it is quite a bit further away then 150.
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Postby skagitduckwacker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Lost Fish wrote:This is a good hunt location with the right conditions. As far as the mud goes, have chest waders and walk on your knees and slide around on top of it. Have never tried it but "Mud Shoes" kind of like snow shoes would work good there to.

As far as the distances go to the houses it is quite a bit further away then 150.

I will do a lot of things to kill a duck, but sliding across that stinky black goo on my hands and knees at the ripe old age of 49 is more than I care to go through. I doubt I would have done it at 16 either. :smile:
Duck dogs go to heaven too.
skagitduckwacker
hunter

Postby Just Hunt » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:21 pm

Lost Fish wrote:This is a good hunt location with the right conditions. As far as the mud goes, have chest waders and walk on your knees and slide around on top of it. Have never tried it but "Mud Shoes" kind of like snow shoes would work good there to.

Mud shoes LOLOLOLOLOL. I would pay to see you walk that in mud shoes. That is not mud.
Just Hunt
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:46 pm

That is not mud, it is gew! Like quick sand with suction. You need a float tube or pod of some sort at that spot. :thumbsup:
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Lost Fish » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Well it is reasuring to know that there will be 2 less hunters trying to get into there when it is good :lol3: But I do know what you are talking about with the mud... make my blond dog BLACK!
Reb
Fish, Hunt, Coffee, and Beer! What more does a guy need!!!
NW WWA Best Parking Space
Retired Marine, Now living off the Goverment (Wife's) Tit!!!
Lost Fish
hunter

Postby nookacamp_rloader » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:10 am

Went out to the public access due west of the gun club on Tuesday this week. Several flocks of lessers landed near the marsh at high tide. Too bad they are out of season til November. Went back out today and picked up a couple of snows as they crossed the dike. It sounded like Jenson access had some shots. Rumor has it negotiations have broken down for SGQH access. Much of First Island is plowed. Reserve has also been tilled. Edison may be a better choice. Snows staging there also.
nookacamp_rloader
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting