Great Field Hunt

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Great Field Hunt

Postby Simple » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:36 pm

What a great day today. Its not very often you get to go out to a private corn field, on a Sunny, blue sky, 65-70 degree weather with my dad and my son and some buddies and have this much success. And the story goes like this.....

We arrived at this dark empty field early in the morning, my five year old boy so excited he couldn't control himself. He had his little toddler waders, his two duck calls around his neck, and only one thing on his mind..... GEESE!!!
We set up an army of decoys shells, silo's, and full bodies. We made some blinds in a ditch and let the excitement begin. We no sooner got sat down, my boy was warming up his duck call and low and behold he called a couple mallards over. First shot, first kill. One 4 curl drake mallard on the ground. My boy quickly ran to pick it up for my buddy. Biggest smile in the world as the duck is beating him up with his wings. We get hunkered back down and here come the geese. First flock 10 birds, two drop, a quick retrieve lead to finding one leg band. The excitement increased. Birds up again this time a flock of 6. My buddy and I called as if all those hours of practicing in our cars to and from work were for this very moment. I threw every ounce of air out of my lungs through my performance call, they turned. They were coming and they were coming beautifully. First pass a hair wide, picked up the calling pace, turned again, wide again. Each time they are getting lower and lower. Fourth and final pass this was it. Barrels up.....BOOM BOOM BOOM, moving from one goose to the next, it was raining geese. 5 of 6 birds down. 3 more leg bands. We hurry back and guess what that number 6 bird came back boom another bits the dust. You would have thought it was Christmas and my boy got everything he wanted. He ran out picking up geese throw them over his shoulder and march them back proud as can be. Those of you with kids take them hunting it is some of the best memories a dad can make.

Here are a few pictures of the fun we had... :beer:
Simple
hunter

Re: Great Field Hunt

Postby one8sevenn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:44 am

Very Very Nice
Elk don't know how many feet a horse has! No, you durn fool, slide it up over the saddle. - Bear Claw
one8sevenn
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:42 am

:lol: :lol: WOW :lol: :lol: GOOD DAY EHHHHHH!
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby elwoodUT » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:48 pm

Sounds like an absolutely perfect day.
I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work.

Thomas Edison
elwoodUT
hunter

Postby Maynard » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:19 pm

good to see the youngsters out having fun.
\m/
Maynard
Newb

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:12 pm

That smile on the little guy says it all :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby thesportinglifestyle » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:20 pm

Thats tough to beat! Awesome!! :beer:
thesportinglifestyle
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Good times took my 3 year old son out for the first time this year didnt shoot much but it was good time i will never forget it
mojo coot
hunter

Postby Simple » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:33 pm

mojo coot wrote:Good times took my 3 year old son out for the first time this year didnt shoot much but it was good time i will never forget it

If you ask me, birds or no birds love taking my little boy. He is five now and has been out in the marsh with me since he was 2 years old.

Thanks guys it was a great day that all my buddies and family will remember for long time.
Simple
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:38 pm

That picture of your boy with those geese really brought a smile to my face, that is pure excitement right there. Glad you guys had such an awesome day!
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby fowlguy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:54 am

that was a great hunt! i still cant believe we got 4 bands outta the 8 geese we got that was awesome.. then the lonely single coming back after we dumped his homies came back haha .your boy is a stud..i cant wait till my boy comes out with me ....
fowlguy
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:56 am

Great post ! Congrats :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby cbroche10 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:14 am

Nothing better than a field hunt for waterfowl with your boys! Awesome job!
Cory Roche
Duck Busters Inc.
Corinne Utah
cbroche10
hunter

Postby Simple » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:13 am

fowlguy wrote:that was a great hunt! i still cant believe we got 4 bands outta the 8 geese we got that was awesome.. then the lonely single coming back after we dumped his homies came back haha .your boy is a stud..i cant wait till my boy comes out with me ....

I had the time of my life. Thanks again my son and dad loved it. That's all that really mattered to me. If you ever want to do it again or just need to barrow some decs let me know. I owe you.
Simple
hunter

Postby fowlguy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:39 am

for sure man.... we will hopefully hunt together again. as long as your awesome brid dog (your boy) comes of course we should have a goodtime!! ha ha maybe next time hit the marsh somwheres for some ducks.
fowlguy
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:57 am

Awesome! I love how excited your boy is.
Jim R
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Return to Utah Duck Hunting