Planning my first canada trip...HELP!!

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Planning my first canada trip...HELP!!

Postby Stish85 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of planning my first freelance waterfowl trip to canada. I am thinking either Sask or MB. I was just wondering if i could get some basic areas, times of the year etc. I should be looking at as a starting point. Also anything else that you more seasoned Canada know that is an absolute must for hunting up in canada. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Stish85
hunter

Re: Planning my first canada trip...HELP!!

Postby tilley » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:45 am

Your shotgun is an absolute must for a hunting trip to Canada. Also shells are nice to have as well.
tilley
hunter

Postby Stish85 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:30 am

Thanks I'll make sure to grab those. Good thing you told me or I might have forgotten.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Postby 88outdoors » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:17 pm

What do you want to know?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
88outdoors
Newb

Postby Stish85 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:59 am

Well really just anything that would be a major difference from say north Dakota hunting. Saskatchewan and Manitoba are huge provinces so maybe a general location to start searching for birds? If there is anything that after doing a few trips you were like man I really wish we would have known this when we started coming up here.

Stish85
hunter

Postby ram4gordon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:24 am

scout 2 days hunt 1should have pretty good sucess good luck Gord
ram4gordon
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Scout scout scout. Are you mainly wanting to kill ducks or geese? Are you wanting to hunt dry fields or potholes? Unless theres a full moon, the general schedule of a duck or goose in canada is getting up from the roost about 30 min after shooting time starts and feeding in fields til late morning, back to water mid day, back to the fields about 4:30 til dark, then back to water to roost. You can base the time of your hunts/scouting on this schedule, depending on wether u are wanting to hunt water or fields. Pea fields are way more productive from my experiences. If you are wanting to hunt fields, start your afternoon scouting at about 4pm. Generally, the geese start leaving water holes about 5pm and head to the fields. Ducks will follow suit slightly later than the geese. My scouting routine generally consists of finding a good concentration of birds on water as soon as i head out. Then i look for pea fields within a couple miles of that area. They are the darker colored fields. Then just keep your eyes peeled for big groups in the air and follow them, find out what field theyre hitting, find the X, find permission. We almost strictly go for the ducks. With that said, I try to stay clear of a field that is holding a crapload of whites. If I have a field pinpointed that is holding a mix of ducks, darks, whites, say 75k total, and another field holding a total of 50k ducks and darks, i will hunt the field without the whites everytime. Ive been burned setting up on a field holding ducks with alot of whites a few times. It starts out hot and heavy, but those white MFs are smart and will start piling up in the next field over and once that happens, you might as well hang it up. Not saying you cant do well on a field like this because we have. But its a gamble in my opinion. And we dont carry enough white decoys for the risk. Im not into giving out areas, but ill be more than happy to help you out with other stuff.
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:25 am

If you want to hunt snows and lessors give East central Sask a try. for specks and honks go to Central Sask and if you like specks honkers and snows and lots of ducks go to West Central Sask. A good time to go is around the first week of Oct or Canada Thanksgiving. If you go late September try North Central Sask. Later in the season you will have slim pickings in SE Sask.
You will have to take a blind that is easy to put together in the dark and bitter cold as the material dosen't want to stretch when it is 5 to -5 Degrees C. Have a good insulated jacket with hood or better yet a parka , thermal underwear and gloves with handwarmers insulated boots and a set of a white butchers frock with hood. As for decoys bring a min. of 3 dz canada decoys and a .min of 5 dz silosocks and a half dz duck decoys two flags back and white and a goose and duck call and bring along a spare gun as weather conditions can create problems with some actions.
A cell phone with coverage in that area and a phh=one book and municipal land ownership maps. Leave the waders at home but bring high top boots. Bring your own ammo as there is bugger all for selection in those small towns. Most important of all bring appreciation gifts for the Farmers. Expect to scout one or two days for one hunt, make plans for jumping ducks pass shooting cranes or spend an afternoon upland game ( bring a 22 LR) Spend a full week and expect to have $1000 to drop to Sask economy.
Plan ahead using Google satellite maps of some watere pond areas and hunt within 1-3 miles of a major roost or draw a line from other roost in the area and draw a big circle and fields will intersect to scout.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Stish85 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:59 am

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for thanks to all those who responded. This will really help me get my trip started on the right foot.

Stish85
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Stish, what are you mostly going after?
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby 88outdoors » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:02 pm

Big thing is spreads snows and lessers.before Mid oct the honkers and mature mallards move in where I'm from in sask. Also one side of the prov you can hunt snows after noon the other side have to wait till oct 15 to hunt geese afternoon
88outdoors
Newb

Postby Swamp Gas » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:52 am

My #1 recommendation would be MAPS.

Once you pick an area find landowner municipality maps. Municipalities are basically the same thing as US counties.

They are available at municipality headquarters. I'm not sure if they are available online but it wouldn't hurt to check.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting