patternmaster

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

patternmaster

Postby BillMurray » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:50 am

It seems everyone I know shoots a patternmaster choke and Freddie Zink is a hell of a salesman on the avian x tv show. Their popularity makes me want one now. They must work decent if people keep spending that much on these chokes. Now Dunns Sporting goods has them on sale. I'm leaning toward extended range so I can shoot 3.5" shells but don't always need shots past 40 yards. If I get long range would it kill my pattern if I shoot 3.5" shells? Looking for some advice from personal experience with the product before I purchase.
BillMurray
hunter

Re: patternmaster

Postby gooseman1 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:24 am

Patternmasters are shell picky!! slow loads pattern well, with the right wad! My first choice would be a Terror! 2nd either a Rob Roberts , Hevi shot waterfowl tube, Jimmy Muller Passing choke, Briley, Carlson, all the chokes i listed ,day in and day out will out pattern the PM with various loads! good luck!
gooseman1
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:12 am

I totally agree with Gooseman, the PM chokes are one of the poorest chokes I have tried in the past. This also includes the Wad Wizzard which is also a wad stripper choke. Again, they are very load sensitive but did ok with only 1260 to 1300fps loads. My first choice for a 12ga would be the Terror and second the Briley. Over all, I get better patterns from factory chokes than the PM choke.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:06 pm

I have had my pm for my HK SBE for 10 years the best pattern was with the old cheap o federal #2 1 oz loads slow but my God it would shoot a mile. I have one on my m2 2O ga I use fast steel#2 3in 1550 FPS holds a very good pattern to 45-50 yards.
cootlover
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:31 pm

I just got a patternmaster LR for the SBE. Honestly I haven't patterned it yet, I just have not had the time. I have been shooting it though, which I know is a sin but at the rages I'm shooting right now I can't see ANY choke being unreasonable. I'll pattern it soon though. So, I've been shooting drylok 1 1/4 #2 at 1400fps. Yesterday we had a great shoot. We had three woodies come in and land on my fathers side, he jumped them and two came out my way and I dropped them both stone dead at about 25yds.. he got his. While picking them up a flock of big ducks flew over my head about 30 yards up, I could see I was busted so I pulled up and shot one. Wings tucked under the body, head hanging straight down, stone dead in the air. My first ever pintail. He did not move a leg when he hit the ground. At the same time a woody flew overhead and he dumped it. About 5 minutes later we had a group of 20 GWT swing 4 times and land in the decoys on his side again. He jumped them, got two, then I got one on each shot dropping three. He got two more on his second and third shot. So we were done in the first 15 minutes and I went 6 for 6 with the patternmaster and drylok 2's. I am NOT a great shot by any means, and that is the best I have ever shot. Afterwards we shot some hand thrown trap and I was playing clean-up breaking birds at 40+ yards consistently. That patternmaster is never coming out of my gun.

Needless to say, I'm not exactly in a rush to pattern this load and will be shooting it until I run out of dryloks.... I can't afford any more of them at $19 a box so I'll be doing some patterning in a couple days. Mostly with a reload I'll be loading up either tonight or tomorrow.

I didnt know what load to use with this choke, I asked on here and most guys said to use a slower load. I read a note from patternmaster and it said #2+ patterns best, so I grabbed the 1400fps #2's. The note also said I can shoot 3.5's out of it but it will be more of a modified pattern versus the 3" which is more like a full. It also said shot smaller than 2's will make a more open pattern. I'll have to do some testing to see if that is true, I've got a case and a half of 3's and 4's but I probably won't get to pattern them until next summer as I won't be shooting shot that small anymore this year.
BBK
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:48 pm

^I have to agree with you! I've only had my PM for about 2 weeks now and all I can say is deadly! I've only hunted wth it once. So far I've shot at 3 ducks with it and when I hit them they were stone dead. Like stated above, not even a leg twitch. I shot clays with it yesterday in a 20mph crosswind. I am not a great shot by any means but I have never shot as well as I is did. When you break a clay, it's powder! Threw in some BB just for fun and busted them real nice at 40 yards. I know PM gets a lot of hate on here but for me, I couldn't be happier.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby sacdukhntr » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:20 pm

I have shot HeviMetal 3's and 2's ($19/box) using a PM Shortrange choke (30-40yds). The pattern is fantastic and the kill percentage is amazing. That combo even works amazingly well on Specks at 40-50 yards. I have the LR and extra LR chokes for 3 1/2s but so far the birds have been mostly in range. Hope this helps
Cheers
Jim
Jim
sacdukhntr
hunter

Postby BillMurray » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:38 pm

So if I understand this correct, the extended range PM is for 3.5" shells but it will pattern the same if not better with 3" shells? Why is it called extended range if its the same diameter as long range but it's longer overall? They don't constrict so the name is misleading. I'm between a hevishot choke, patternmaster, and kicks. Do I need one to kill birds? Absolutely not. I have a factory modified pro bore choke now in my versamax. An aftermarket tube would be for looks and mindset.
BillMurray
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:46 pm

BillMurray wrote:So if I understand this correct, the extended range PM is for 3.5" shells but it will pattern the same if not better with 3" shells? Why is it called extended range if its the same diameter as long range but it's longer overall? They don't constrict so the name is misleading. I'm between a hevishot choke, patternmaster, and kicks. Do I need one to kill birds? Absolutely not. I have a factory modified pro bore choke now in my versamax. An aftermarket tube would be for looks and mindset.

You are correct on multiple points. :thumbsup:

They call it "extended range" because it was made for goose hunters when taking long range shots with 3.5" shells and BIG SHOT. You can't do this with normal constriction chokes, so they extended their long range to work with the longer wads. So the load was designed for extended range shooting with 3.5" shells and big shot. That is where the name came from.

Honestly, from what I expect to be true.. but still have to test... unless you are a goose hunter who shoots #BBB and #T, you will probably be just fine with 3"ers and the long range. I still have to test it, but from what I have seen in pictures a 3" 1 1/4 #BB should pattern extremely well at 40-50 yards and take any goose it touches. I don't think you will NEED 3.5's with the patternmaster (or ANY long range choke for that matter). But we'll see as soon as I can do some pattern tests. :thumbsup:
BBK
hunter

Postby sacdukhntr » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:04 pm

Yes...that is correct on the use of the extended range for 3 1/2 inch shells if you are shooting longer distances. If the geese are flying close and you still want to shoot a 3 1/2" load, then switch to a long range which will open up the pattern more. I have used both on Canadian geese in upstate Illinois and both were extremely effective
Cheers,
Jim
Jim
sacdukhntr
hunter

Postby Griffin4590 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:11 pm

I own every choke listed on this page and a PM long range stays in the gun. My gun and loads patten well with a wide varity of loads but the PM is the winner
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:11 am

gooseman1 wrote:all the chokes i listed ,day in and day out will out pattern the PM with various loads! good luck!

Pm outpatterned both briley and carlson chokes in my SX2. And i don't drink the pm coolaid, i currently have 2 carlsons in my citori and a briley in my 870. It all boils down to what you want your pattern to do at a given range and find some loads that fit the bill.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:04 am

I have shot the PM out of my Browning BPS, and Gold hunter shooting 3 1/2 " federal ultra shock #2 for years, and just loved it, Now I cant buy the ultra shock and am going to have to switch brands, going to have to try different loads and see what it likes, I was shooting 3 1/2 " T shot at geese with a stock choke and not killing geese, so I went to the range and shot cardboard to see what my pattern was, and at 30 yrds it WOULD NOT go through cardboard, So I tried different loads, and bought the PM after a lot of research, and at 45 yrds, I was going All the way through cardboard with #2 shot. I can DOA ducks & gees at 60 yrds all day with that choke and load, but now I am almost out of ultra shock, going to see what else I can find.
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:59 pm

According to pm website, long range is for 3" while extended is for 3.5". Shooting a 3" out of the long or ext range will result in a full pattern, but a 3.5" will give a mod pattern out of the long range and a full pattern out of the ext...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
no3topqb
hunter

Postby flyndutchman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:50 pm

My one and only PM choke is a code black duck for the SBE II or M2. It resides at home in its package. At 25 yards it throws a pattern about basketball sized and shoots high and left where as all the other chokes I have shoot point of aim. Patternmaster claimed it was the threads in my gun. The only thing it does pattern decently is 1 oz of #4 handloads. I have shot many, many different loads through it and finally just parked it. I bought it after seeing my hunting partner make some incredible shots with his standard long range PM on his Weatherby. I think part of it is he is just a better shot at long range birds than I because it sure doesn't prove out on the pattern board. There is no magic choke tube. If you can put a pattern on the bird, it will die. At the ranges of 25-35 yards almost anything will do it if you do your part.
flyndutchman
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes