got skunked

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

got skunked

Postby darkwater27 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:37 am

Went out to a local wildlife area, that happens to be just off a causeway, yesterday. We got on near the end of first fill quota, found a spot with lots of water and nice large green tule patches to hide in and we set up with plenty of time to spare.he As it turned out we used all our "luck" getting on. A lone duck of unknown species landed in our spread 20 min before shoot time,but was long gone when the guns started 4 min. before LST (by my watch). Then some time around 8:30 we had 1 diver buzz through while I was out making adjustments to the spread. Action over, we sat till 11am and called it. :hi:

The worst part of all of this is I had a rookie with me, and I really wanted him to connect with a bird....oh well his spirit was good and he will be back.......oh how we wait for the opener and are then led straight into the slowness that is early season hunting....

Darkwater27....out
:beer:
darkwater27
hunter

Re: got skunked

Postby PaulyQuackers » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:13 pm

Too bad, I've had my fair share of bad days, but the first time my dad took me hunting, the birds were flying everywhere, I don't think 10 min passed before I shot a giant canada goose. That was the first time I had ever shot a gun, and have been in love with duck hunting ever since that moment. His day will come, and when it does, he'll be talking about it for the rest of his life. Better luck next time...
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Postby iamlegend » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:17 pm

Got skunked out at Volta today, never took a shot.
iamlegend
hunter

Postby gozags09 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:55 pm

The good part- It's still october. take him out in December and maybe things will be different :grooving:
gozags09
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:03 pm

I almost got skanked in Los Banos once. I just don't like methy hookers. :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby mulhair.corey » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:22 pm

Llano provided me with a nice sunrise this morning, and I left with a limit. A limit of 25 shells. One duck landed in our spread 15 min before legal shoot time, and got off 5 minutes later. Didn't have a duck come within 300 yards of us. Packed up and left at 9:30. First time there, and I liked the refuge and check station, just picked a bad day to have my ressi pulled. Apparently it shot <1.0 birds/gun yesterday, so it wasn't a surprise at least. Oh and there were several thousand specks flying all morning, just about 5 times high as my effective 12 gauge range.
mulhair.corey
hunter

Postby zkalinowski » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:29 pm

Took a Jr out to GL yesterday, scraped up a drake wigeon and hen mallard for the two of us. Tried a new area that I had heard a lot of shooting out of last year. Found a nice hole on the march in, but after realizing we were only 10-20 yards from a levee we decided to press in and find somewhere more secluded. Set up in a really good looking hole, but of course come shoot time all the shooting came from the hole that we passed on :sad: still pretty convinced it was mostly ringnecks considering I really didn't see any of the birds they shot at so I'm assuming most were flying low over the water. Would have liked to put the kid on some more birds, but its that time of year, I'm just thankful to have gotten out and had a fun and safe hunt, bringing home birds was just the something extra.
All your spoonies are belong to us
zkalinowski
hunter

Postby duxnbass » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Had an awesome afternoon shoot with my cousin today @ g I, I was layin in bed about 7 this morning heard the forecast for wind and headed out around 1, we didn't shoot limits but had some awesome shooting, group of three birds came in 3 shots 3 birds down, ended the day with 5 mallards three of my favorite birds(spoons) and one Gaddy...........but love the 20yd feet down action, it didn't matter how many birds today it was just a damn good day in the marsh with family.
Take a kid hunting, the memories will last a lifetime.
duxnbass
hunter

Postby 1morepin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:45 am

South Grasslands was really bad on Saturday, 15 min before shoot time we heard thousands of birds get up and head north of us. Managed to get a Canvasback, and that was that. I think the local birds have figured out when they see headlights from a quad or Argo, it's time to get out of town. I don't expect much until we get some weather.
You do not need a parachute to skydive…You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
1morepin
hunter

Postby WisterSpoonieSlayer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:09 pm

It's not any better down south. I shot Wister this past weekend and on Saturday I shot twice in the first 20 min of shoot time and then never fired another shot. I was able to get a better spot on Sunday and shot 4 times. Left at noon on Sunday. Total for the weekend 2 G.W. Teal and 1 Cinn Teal.
WisterSpoonieSlayer
hunter

Postby Dasher1414 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Went out with my younger brother and buddy, and my new GWP pup and got 15. was out of the blind by 10am I wanted to stay longer but no one else did. ended with some bull sprig, teal, gaddy, and of course spoons no matter had a fun day and birds worked really well
Dasher1414
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting