Duck Hunting Forum banner

wadlock slugs

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  lostknife4 
#1 ·
Duck #s are down right now, figure I may as well shoot a Deer.
Anyone shoot slugs out of their Hastings WL barrel?
If so, how accurate is it an what choke did you use?

#2 ·
Not yet but I plan on it. I have a IC in the WL 12 ga barrel and will use that with the slugs. I use the IC in the 28 ga with 1/2"Ø lead balls on top of a Gualandi wad or COD28 "carrier" they call it. Bought them in Italy. They work great and at 194 grains should work just as well as some light rifle loadings.
Lost

#4 ·
The slug manufacturers recommend an open choke and it's been proven by high speed photographs that neither slugs, even the "rifled" slugs, nor shotcups spin in the bore unless the barrel or choke tube has some rifling with a leade to cause the ejecta to spin.
My 28 ga lead balls sit "ON" a shotcup that has no petals and my slugs are the same way so there would be no interference fit between the ball or slug at the choke especially if you are using an "open" choke like an CYL or IC. Probably a LM or MOD may work too but I would measure the slug diameter first to make sure it's smaller than the choke ID. Lots of slugs have been shot from FULL choke barrels in the old days I am sure but some of these new choke tubes may have an interference fit.
Lost

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.