tryin some new things

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

tryin some new things

Postby agengo02 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:22 pm

welp ive got quite a bit of teal meat saved up so im gonig to try a few marinade combos to see how they taste. ive found 3 marinades that sound pretty good:

olive oil worschester sauce and montreal steak seasoning

So maybe lemon juice, olive oil, honey and salt.

Or soy sauce, red vinegar, brown sugar and sesame oil.

im going to split up all my meat into 3 groups and marinade them all in pet milk for 24 hours. then 24 hours in the marinades listed above. then im going to straight grill them on my george foreman and see what happens. also going to get a meat thermometer so i can make sure and pull them off on that 145 degree sweet spot. probably going to cook it on the medium setting. anybody have any suggestions since i will be using the george foreman? also are there any last minute marinade recipes i should consider? wish me luck!
agengo02
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:17 pm

I know I told you about pet milk but since your doing all different types of marinades and stuff, soak some of the meat in buttermilk too, either 12 and 12 or full 24. I use terriyaki (mp) sometimes to get a sweeter taste. And if you want a smoky taste find some stuff call Dale's steak seasoning, but don't use too much because its pretty salty. Good luck and keep us posted.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby agengo02 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:29 pm

ok so i figured it up. ive got 18 individual breasts (9 birds). im going to do half in buttermilk and half in pet milk. from there i will split them into groups of 3. that way i get every possible combination with the marinades and buttermilk/pet milk. terryaki sounds really good but where abouts should i slip it into the mix at? or should i just do straight terryaki?
agengo02
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:13 pm

Straight up is good, you could add it with the brown sugar and red vingar, i'd leave out the soy sause it might make it too salty.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:50 pm

that worschester is gonna work for you but ive never used a george forman grill if you got a real grill id go for that
the other thing is i dont no what this milk is gonna do to it
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:01 pm

The pet-buttermilk naturally helps to draw out blood, tenderize and add a sweeter taste. And the buttermilk helps with your breading if you plan on fryin too. Try it out and see for yourself.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby agengo02 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:23 pm

ok so ive got an update to post. i took half the meat and let it soak in buttermilk and half in pet milk for 24 hours. i got a little lazy on the marinades so i used some of them ready to roll marinades. i went ahead and put all the buttermilk meat into the a1 new orleans cajun marinade. then i split the rest of the pet milk meat between some lowry's sesame marinade and some stubbs chicken marinade. gonna let them stay like that in the fridge until tuesday which will make it 24 hours of the buttermilk/pet milk and 48 hours of the marinades. then comes the george foreman and yadda yadda yadda. i dont think im giong to close the lid when i cook them so i can see them cooking and keep an eye on the internal temp. once it gets to 145 degrees im gonna yank them off and hopefully have some perfect duck meat! haha welp any final words of advice or caution?
agengo02
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:57 pm

you gotta try the worshchestire 1 somtime
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:45 pm

You've bout got it, but unless you just want to I don't think that you need to soak it in the marinade for so long. Your meat isn't that thick.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby agengo02 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:54 pm

well im just doing it that long because tuesday is the next day im off so its more convienent for me.
agengo02
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:39 pm

:thumbsup:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby agengo02 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:48 am

ok so here is how it went. it took me a little while to figure out the right setting so they wouldnt cook too hot too fast. the first couple of breasts were a bit tough and overdone. after trial and error i found that i put the setting between low and medium and close the lid for about a minute and a half then i flipped them (for some reason the top part was either hotter or more surface area was touching it because it cooked it faster.) my order of what i thought would taste the best was just about the exact opposite of what actually tasted good. i thought the a1 would be the best, then the stubbs, then the lowrys sesamee ginger one. well in fact the stubbs was incredible, then the sesame ginger was next, but the a1 cajun was not too good. just didnt taste right. so the winner is pet milk for 24 hours then stubbs chicken and poultry marinade! thanks for all of yalls input.
agengo02
hunter

Postby portahunter » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:49 pm

I got a recipe for ya agengo that we always use to cook our duck in. It's just a little time consuming, but it tastes great. I'll give it to ya the next time I see ya.
portahunter
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:17 am

ya man im looking to try some different ones. but im all outta duck meat for the time being! hopefully i can hammer some big ducks on saturday or else im stuck until next season!
agengo02
hunter

Postby portahunter » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:57 pm

Ya, I'm pretty much out of meet too. I got some teal from this past weekend, but I pan fry those.
portahunter
hunter

Postby Netstar1 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:30 pm

portahunter wrote:Ya, I'm pretty much out of meet too. I got some teal from this past weekend, but I pan fry those.

How do you like to fry your teals (what spices)? I have a few gw teal I'd like to fry.
Netstar1
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking